|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nellie has her pregnancies in what sequence in Germany?
2. As Lisa cut her hair at Frank's request, Dolly says he ought to what?
3. When Frank asks Miss Kinsman what she seeks, what is her reply?
4. How does Dolly respond to his comment?
5. In the novel's opening paragraph, Nellie has taken her three children and left, presumably for where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Frank's answer to Selwyn in Chapter 10 when he asks how his book, Birch Tree Thoughts, is going?
2. What does Frank do after they leave the Defense Ministry that apparently prompts Volodya to suggest they forgive each other, and how does Frank initially respond?
3. What transpires after Frank receives a telephone call from the Security Police on Palm Sunday?
4. What sort of business transaction does Frank have with Kuriatin in Chapter 8 that now appears to be repeating itself in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Frank make the effort to go up and down the street where Reid Press is located?
6. What are some of the proposals the new cost accountant, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Bernov, offers on his first day of work at Reid Press?
7. Dolly is very clingy on the morning the children return from their visit to the dacha with Lisa, but Lisa is not with them, so Frank allows her to stay with him until noon when he takes her home and they encounter what?
8. What is an interesting contrast between Frank Reid and Selwyn Crane?
9. When Frank tells Lisa he is sorry she never managed to study, what transpires next?
10. Why does Frank not give his address to Miss Kinsman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Frank learn what it is that supposedly prompted Nellie to leave Moscow? What was her aim? What explanation does Frank offer as being the reason why he is unable to accept what he has been told induced Nellie to go? What is the possible elucidation Frank is offered?
Essay Topic 2
What does Dolly ask of her father the day before Charlie arrives? What are Frank's reply and his reason given? What does it turn out is the true motivation for denying the children? What information does Frank obtain upon meeting Charlie?
Essay Topic 3
What is the interesting juxtaposition Chapter 16 reflects between traditions under which Reid Press has been operating, and the urgings of Bernov, the modern cost accountant? Explain the contrasts.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)