|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Reid family home in Russia burns down how far in the riots?
2. What property does Frank desire to sell?
(a) A small residence in Germany.
(b) A lot next to Reid Press.
(c) A storage unit next to Reid Press.
(d) The property where the gigantic press is located.
3. Why does Frank select a taxi that appears as though it were just starting for the day rather than one that was running all night?
(a) The taxi just starting would move faster.
(b) The operator driving all night is likely to have been drinking.
(c) The taxi running all night is more likely to break down.
(d) The taxi just starting is more likely to be clean.
4. What does Frank ask Lisa to do?
(a) Wear her hair in pigtails.
(b) Cut her hair.
(c) Wear her hair in a bun.
(d) Wear her hair in plaits.
5. What does Mitya give the dancing bear to drink at the party?
Short Answer Questions
1. What employment has Miss Kinsman been at when Frank meets her?
2. Frank calls whom immediately after reading Nellie's letter?
3. What courses did Frank study prior to taking on an apprenticeship?
4. Frank's plant sits on which roadway?
5. Where does Frank work in Frankfurt, Germany?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Frank encounter Reverend Graham?
2. Why does Frank make the effort to go up and down the street where Reid Press is located?
3. Who is Kuriatin, the character Penelope Fitzgerald introduces in Chapter 7?
4. In the first paragraph of Chapter 1, what situation occurs, the resolution of which is the main thrust of the tale?
5. What noticeable change is there in Nellie's attitude once she arrives in Moscow?
6. What are the two curious questions that Frank and Lisa ask each other during his interview of her for the position of governess?
7. What transpires in Frank's and Nellie's lives between the time they marry and Frank's parents' deaths?
8. What is it Frank can see in Chapter 24 regarding the impression Volodya has made upon Lisa?
9. At supper on the day Charlie returns to England, what is Lisa's response, when prodded by Frank, to Ben's inquiry regarding how it is better for women now than it was ten years ago?
10. What sort of business transaction does Frank have with Kuriatin in Chapter 8 that now appears to be repeating itself in Chapter 12?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)