|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Frank decide whether or not to take a police inspector to the office with him after hours?
(a) By not wanting to waste a single moment.
(b) By tossing a coin.
(c) By having his pistol in his coat pocket.
(d) By taking Selwyn along with him.
2. In the novel's opening paragraph, Nellie has taken her three children and left, presumably for where?
3. Frank informs Selwyn about Miss Kinsman, mainly to check what?
(a) What Selwyn knew of her.
(b) If he should hire a governess.
(c) Whether he should contact her.
(d) His own understanding of the incident.
4. When did Frank's father start his machinery sales business?
5. How does Dolly respond to his comment?
(a) She does not know where her mother is now.
(b) He must know the reason his wife left.
(c) The children weren't away for very long.
(d) It did not take him too long to find them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What employment has Miss Kinsman been at when Frank meets her?
2. What is Kuriatin supposed to be supplying Reid Press?
3. How does Frank respond to Dolly saying she thinks he asks too much of Nellie?
4. At the tea-room Kuriatin has invited Frank to, waiters career about wheeling large teapots about like what?
5. Who is getting a bear cub as a present?
Short Essay Questions
1. What more exposure does the reader receive regarding Selwyn's character in Chapter 11?
2. What are some examples of Nellie Cooper's lack of enthusiasm for the things she does?
3. What transpires in Frank's and Nellie's lives between the time they marry and Frank's parents' deaths?
4. What does the reader learn of Frank's background in the opening chapter?
5. When Frank tells Lisa he is sorry she never managed to study, what transpires next?
6. Why is it Mrs. Kuriatin readily agrees to have Dolly and Ben come after school to Mitya's party?
7. What transpires after Frank receives a telephone call from the Security Police on Palm Sunday?
8. What sort of business transaction does Frank have with Kuriatin in Chapter 8 that now appears to be repeating itself in Chapter 12?
9. What sort of description does Penelope Fitzgerald provide of Tvyordov, the chief compositor?
10. What is it Selwin seeks to tell Frank at Rusalochka's, but is hesitant to do so in front of Kuriatin?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)