|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Following their marriage, Frank and Nellie stop in Frankfurt, Germany for how long en route to Moscow?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
2. How old does Nellie make it clear to Frank she is when they meet?
3. What does Bert die of?
(a) Old age.
(b) Violent protest in Moscow.
(c) Heart attack.
4. Why does Frank transfer from Nottingham to Norbury?
(a) More up-to-date machinery.
(b) Better wages.
(c) Better hours.
(d) Better chances for promotion.
5. How does Frank respond to Dolly saying she thinks he asks too much of Nellie?
(a) She may be right.
(b) That is between Nellie and Frank.
(c) He does not agree.
(d) Perhaps, but not enough for her to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lisa employed in at Muirka's?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Selwyn inadvertently leave behind?
3. As Lisa cut her hair at Frank's request, Dolly says he ought to what?
4. Whom does Frank inform Selwyn will be joining Reid Press?
5. Who is advancing in power in Russia, appears to be very corrupt, and concerns Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some ways Penelope Fitzgerald shows Frank knows how to deal with Russians?
2. What sort of description does Penelope Fitzgerald provide of Tvyordov, the chief compositor?
3. What steps does Frank take to retrieve his children after receiving a phone call from the Alexander Station?
4. What does Frank do after informing his household staff of Nellie's and the children's departure?
5. What does Frank do once the police have left his business?
6. Who is Kuriatin, the character Penelope Fitzgerald introduces in Chapter 7?
7. During the good-byes as the children and their governess depart for the dacha, what seems to confirm that Lisa accepts Frank's passion?
8. What transpires after Frank receives a telephone call from the Security Police on Palm Sunday?
9. How does Mrs. Graham steer her conversation with Frank when he comes back to discuss Miss Kinsman?
10. Subsequent to his questioning by the Security Police, while walking with Volodya after they exit the Ministry of Defense in a brief discussion, Frank spots something across the square that prompts him to do what next?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)