|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Nellie admit to soon after meeting Frank?
(a) She does not like anything very much.
(b) She does not like dancing very much.
(c) She does not like singing very much.
(d) She does not like drinking very much.
2. How does Frank decide whether or not to take a police inspector to the office with him after hours?
(a) By not wanting to waste a single moment.
(b) By tossing a coin.
(c) By taking Selwyn along with him.
(d) By having his pistol in his coat pocket.
3. What is Frank's response when Lisa arrives on her first day?
(a) He speaks with Toma.
(b) He avoids talking to her.
(c) He avoids looking at her.
(d) He excuses himself to make a call.
4. During his talk with Selwyn, Frank appears to be concentrating too much on what?
(b) Miss Kinsman.
(c) His children.
5. In the novel's opening paragraph, Nellie has taken her three children and left, presumably for where?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Selwyn inadvertently leave behind?
2. Frank's father, Bert, dies when?
3. Nellie has her pregnancies in what sequence in Germany?
4. Whose reputation likely accounts for a portion of Reidka's success?
5. The kitchen-mother Frank finds watching his children normally is available for how much per day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of Nellie Cooper's lack of enthusiasm for the things she does?
2. Although born and raised in Moscow, where does Frank receive his adult education?
3. What is an interesting contrast between Frank Reid and Selwyn Crane?
4. What custom does Lisa partake in on the day prior to Palm Sunday that surprises Frank?
5. What transpires after Frank receives a telephone call from the Security Police on Palm Sunday?
6. What more exposure does the reader receive regarding Selwyn's character in Chapter 11?
7. What significant background does the author provide regarding Selwyn Crane in Chapter 3?
8. What are some of the proposals the new cost accountant, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Bernov, offers on his first day of work at Reid Press?
9. What actions does Lisa take that very much please Frank when he arrives home quite late one evening?
10. Why is it reasonable to describe the midnight scene in the woods surrounding the Reid dacha as the most mysterious in the novel?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)