|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the novel's opening paragraph, Nellie has taken her three children and left, presumably for where?
2. When she met Frank, Nellie was soon to take a qualifying exam for what position?
(c) Pharmacy assistant.
(d) Dental assistant.
3. Frank initially takes on an apprenticeship where upon finishing his courses?
(a) At Culpeppers of Nottingham.
(b) At Coopers of Nottingham.
(c) At Croppers of Nottingham.
(d) At Croppers of Nottingham.
4. The kitchen-mother Frank finds watching his children normally is available for how much per day?
(a) 100 kopeks a day.
(b) 70 kopeks a day.
(c) 90 kopeks a day.
(d) 80 kopeks a day.
5. Who is born in late autumn of 1911?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitya give the dancing bear to drink at the party?
2. The Reid family home in Russia burns down how far in the riots?
3. When does the wood arrive at Reid Press?
4. Although born and raised in Russia, Frank is viewed by everyone as what?
5. Frank's father, Bert, dies when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires after Frank receives a telephone call from the Security Police on Palm Sunday?
2. What is Rusalochka's like?
3. Why does Frank not give his address to Miss Kinsman?
4. What significant background does the author provide regarding Selwyn Crane in Chapter 3?
5. At supper on the day Charlie returns to England, what is Lisa's response, when prodded by Frank, to Ben's inquiry regarding how it is better for women now than it was ten years ago?
6. What does Frank tell those he finds awake when he arrives home after the break-in?
7. What concerns Frank following Mitya's party?
8. What more exposure does the reader receive regarding Selwyn's character in Chapter 11?
9. What sort of business transaction does Frank have with Kuriatin in Chapter 8 that now appears to be repeating itself in Chapter 12?
10. In a later conversation between Frank and Dolly, what do they discuss concerning her mother?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)