|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Frank's father start his machinery sales business?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Frank finally recognize regarding Nellie?
(a) Her absence might be longer than he thought.
(b) She will likely be back when she runs out of money.
(c) She will likely return when she tires of her brother.
(d) She is likely never coming back.
3. What courses did Frank study prior to taking on an apprenticeship?
(a) Mechanical engineering and printing.
(d) Architechtural engineering.
4. At home, Frank hires Dunyasha to help Nellie with what?
(a) The cooking.
(b) The general care of the home.
(c) The children.
(d) The cleaning.
5. When Frank interviews Lisa Ivanovna, how do Dolly and Ben seem to take to her?
(a) Not at all.
(b) Slowly initially.
(c) Very easily.
(d) Not too easily.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frank select a taxi that appears as though it were just starting for the day rather than one that was running all night?
2. The kitchen-mother Frank finds watching his children normally is available for how much per day?
3. Whom does Nellie take with her when she leaves home?
4. Who is getting a bear cub as a present?
5. When Frank arrives where his children were said to be at, he is told they are now where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn in Chapter 26 regarding the reasons why Nellie left Moscow with her three children in the initial chapter?
2. How is it that Frank learns the reason why in Chapter 26 the Defense Ministry not only releases him from responsibility for Volodya, but also encourages him to depart Russia at his earliest opportunity?
3. The same evening of the morning Charlie accompanies Frank to the tram stop, how does he modify his request to take the children to England?
4. In what context does Penelope Fitzgerald use the term "spiritual" in The Beginning of Spring?
5. Why does Frank not give his address to Miss Kinsman?
6. In a later conversation between Frank and Dolly, what do they discuss concerning her mother?
7. What does Frank do after they leave the Defense Ministry that apparently prompts Volodya to suggest they forgive each other, and how does Frank initially respond?
8. At supper on the day Charlie returns to England, what is Lisa's response, when prodded by Frank, to Ben's inquiry regarding how it is better for women now than it was ten years ago?
9. What does Frank do with the man he finds has broken into his business?
10. Where does Frank encounter Reverend Graham?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)