|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night prior to Charlie leaving, when he suggests Lisa accompany him with the children en route home to ease Frank's mind, Frank asks what?
(a) Who will take care of the children in Norbury.
(b) Why does he think the children should leave.
(c) If Nellie will meet them.
(d) If he has asked her.
2. The day before Charlie is to return to Great Britain, he joins Frank en route to work how far?
(a) Several blocks.
(b) The bus.
(c) The tram.
(d) The end of the home's front walkway.
3. Frank's goal is seeing the break-in investigation does not what?
(a) Become a major security issue.
(b) Raise insurance costs.
(c) Frighten Tyvordov away.
(d) Avoiding future break-ins.
4. What are Dolly and Ben doing when Frank arrives home following the after hours incident at Reid Press?
(a) Practicing their instruments.
5. What does Tvyordor tell Frank he plans to do with his tools?
(a) Pass them on to his son.
(b) Toss them in the river.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Give them to No. 2 compositor.
6. During their walk, Charlie suggests to Frank he return where with his children?
7. On the night she follows Lisa in the woods away from the dacha, what does Dolly see at every tree when she and Lisa come to a standstill?
(a) A red deer or a bear.
(b) A squirrel or a mouse.
(c) A man or a woman.
(d) A wild boar or a wolf.
8. Why does the train make a half-hour stop in Mozhaisk before it proceeds toward Berlin?
(b) Switching passengers, cargo.
(c) Changing crews.
(d) A restaurant.
9. What does Frank tell the individual he finds in the shop to do?
(a) Take the copy of Birch Tree Thoughts that he offers.
(b) To turn off the lights.
(c) To lock up.
(d) To turn out the lights, lock up, leave the key with the watchman.
10. The night before Lisa accompanies the children to the dacha, she tells Frank that Volodya had stuck a note to her in the library reading what?
(a) "You're alive. I must be with you."
(b) "I am in love with you. You're alive."
(c) "I am in love with you. I need you."
(d) "You're alive. I too am alive."
11. As Frank tells Lisa to answer Ben's query about why it is better for women now than ten years ago, she puts down her spoon and responds how?
(a) She does not believe she knows how to explain.
(b) He might understand the answer better were he older.
(c) She feels it is unkind asking more of anyone than they can give.
(d) She does not feel Ben would understand the answer.
12. Selwyn takes Charlie to a concert to hear Scriabin play what instrument?
13. When Frank meets them across the square on Palm Sunday, what do the children do?
(a) Beg him to let them go to the dacha with Lisa.
(b) Beg him to let them go for tea with Lisa.
(c) Beg him to let them go for pastry with Lisa.
(d) Beg him to go with them to the dacha with Lisa.
14. What does Mrs. Graham suggest to Frank regarding Lisa?
(a) She may be part of a revolutionary group.
(b) Be using her beauty to advance herself.
(c) She may be seeking to supplant Nellie.
(d) She may be teaching revolutionary theories to the children.
15. Which of the children does Frank tell Dolly he plans take to meet Charlie?
(a) None of them.
(b) Only Dolly.
(c) Only Ben.
(d) All of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. In seeing him off at the station, Frank realizes Charlie seems to have forgotten what?
2. What does Frank purchase Volodya as they walk away from the Defense Ministry?
3. In Chapter 24, why is it the staff begins packing as though the children will be gone for months rather than a few days?
4. Frank is used to human warmth, from his Russian work contacts and even his servants, but all Dolly gives him is what?
5. Where does Kuriatin take Charlie outing in his Wolseley car, with Bernov as an interpreter, at the start of Chapter 19?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)