|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frank transfer from Nottingham to Norbury?
(a) Better wages.
(b) Better hours.
(c) More up-to-date machinery.
(d) Better chances for promotion.
2. What else does Nellie admit to soon after meeting Frank?
(a) She does not like singing very much.
(b) She does not like anything very much.
(c) She does not like dancing very much.
(d) She does not like drinking very much.
3. Whom does Frank inform Selwyn will be joining Reid Press?
(a) A new cost accountant.
(b) An assistant tax accountant.
(c) A new printer first class.
(d) A typesetter second class.
4. What does Frank's experience with Dolly lead him to believe about a gold cross she requests?
(a) She asks once, waits a good while, then asks a second time.
(b) She pesters to get her way.
(c) She only asks once.
(d) She asks several times.
5. Since Lisa's haircut, Frank what?.
(a) Is able to make a few polite comments.
(b) Disagrees with Dolly.
(c) Tries to avoid looking at Lisa.
(d) Is overwhelmed by her beauty.
6. Subsequent to his initial apprenticeship, where does Frank transfer to?
(a) Hoots of Norbury.
(b) Hues of Norbury.
(c) Hoses of Norbury.
(d) Hoes of Norbury.
7. When Frank arrives where his children were said to be at, he is told they are now where?
(a) The home of the station master.
(b) The home of the police chief.
(c) The fire station.
(d) A local mission house.
8. Following their marriage, Frank and Nellie stop in Frankfurt, Germany for how long en route to Moscow?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 4 years.
9. When Frank says he does not know in response to Dolly's inquiry about her mother, how does Dolly reply?
(a) She expected as much.
(b) She is surprised.
(c) She does not know either.
(d) She knows, but will not tell him.
10. When Frank tells Dolly where the paper and envelopes are if she wants to write her mother, what is her response?
(a) It would likely be better if she didn't.
(b) She would wait awhile.
(c) She would prefer to wire her.
(d) She would immediately.
11. The Reid family home in Russia burns down how far in the riots?
12. Whom is Nellie living with when she meets Frank in Norbury?
(a) Her brother and his wife.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Her father and his second wife.
(d) Her sister and her husband?
13. In Chapter 2, Frank receives a call informing him his children are being taken care of where?
(a) The station master's home.
(b) The police station.
(c) The train station.
(d) The cathedral.
14. Dunyasha, whose job is to watch the children, asks what of Frank when he does return home?
(a) No disciplinary measure be taken.
(b) A letter of recommendation.
(c) Her internal passport.
(d) Her final payment.
15. Kuriatin calls asking Frank to have dinner with him at what very noisy tea-room?
(a) The Straw Basket attached to The Rusalochka.
(b) Rusalochka's, attached to the Merchants' Club.
(c) The Merchants' Club, attached to The Rusalochka.
(d) The Merchants' Club, attached to The Spicy Plum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What courses did Frank study prior to taking on an apprenticeship?
2. As Frank and the children await in the dining room on Lisa's first day, how does she arrive?
3. When she met Frank, Nellie was soon to take a qualifying exam for what position?
4. In the novel's opening paragraph, Nellie has taken her three children and left, presumably for where?
5. Frank realizes it would have been better if Selwyn had been what?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)