|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the cottage that Grandma Judy owns?
2. In Chapter 8, what color were Miss Tann's eyes?
3. In Chapter 6, where are the children first taken?
4. Where does Trent Turner, Jr., live?
5. What color does May remember that her mother's eyes were?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Rill and the other children in Chapter 6?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Trent tell Avery that his grandfather might have been doing for her grandmother?
3. In the Prelude, how is the woman described who had a still birth?
4. In Chapter 12, what happened when a man came to visit his little boy?
5. In Chapter 4, who came with Briny to help get Queenie to the hospital?
6. In Chapter 10, who did Rill see come into the room where she and her siblings were sleeping, and what did he do?
7. What happens when Avery tries to intimidate Trent into giving her the envelope at the end of Chapter 11?
8. In Chapter 1, who is Avery and what is background and career?
9. In Chapter 7, how does Avery remember that her parents met?
10. Who is Trent Turner, and what does Avery learn from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Journalists use a photo of Wells and his mother for a story on nursing home scandals. Why does Leslie tell Avery that the use of the photo is politics and sensationalism? What subjects does Avery believe should not be discussed in the press? Why does Avery think that some subjects should be taboo even if a person is a politician? How does politics lead to sensationalism and lack of privacy for public figures like Wells?
Essay Topic 2
Avery has a close relationship with her parents, especially her father. How would you describe the relationship Avery has with her parents? How is her relationship different with father than it is with her mother? What does Avery’s decision to come home reveal about her parents and the type of relationship that they have?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, some characters are more thoroughly described than others. Who are some characters that are merely named in passing or have a minor role in the novel? What is the importance of these flat characters to the story line? In what way do these characters make the main characters more colorful or interesting? How do they provide background information or advance the plot? When there is conflict, what type of role do these flat characters play?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)