|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Avery's mother's nickname?
2. When the bookmobile comes in Chapter 12, how many books is Rill allowed to get?
3. How old is Avery in Chapter 1?
4. What television show is playing when Avery enters the Memory Care Unit at Magnolia Manor in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 6 when Lark slips off and falls asleep in a clearing by a creek, how long does it take her family to find her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, when Avery is at a nursing home with her father, what encounter does she have with a woman named May Crandall?
2. In Chapter 1, who is Avery and what is background and career?
3. In Chapter 12, what happened when a man came to visit his little boy?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Grandma Judy say when she sees the photograph from May Crandall's room?
5. In Chapter 2, what did the midwife tell Rill to tell her father?
6. Who was the boy with Zede in Chapter 6, and what was he like?
7. In Chapter 9, why has Honeybee asked the Monday Girls to not visit Grandma Judy?
8. Who does Avery have to pick up in Chapter 9, and why?
9. In Chapter 4, who came with Briny to help get Queenie to the hospital?
10. In the Prelude, what did a doctor recommend to Christine's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Trent and his grandfather enjoyed helping people. What were the motives behind the help that Trent and his grandfather offered to people? What role did empathy play in the things they did and the ways they helped people?
Essay Topic 2
Both the Seviers and the girls were in need of rescue. Why were both the Seviers and the girls in need of rescue? How did they help rescue one another? What is revealed about the interdependence they had for one another through the ways that they rescued one another?
Essay Topic 3
The story is told from the first person point of view and from the point of view of different narrators. How does using different narrators affect what can be told about characters? How does the author’s choice to use different narrators and the first person impact the plot and how readers view characters?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)