|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita help Carla do?
2. Who is Mr. Washburn?
3. What influence does Mr. Smith have on the behavior of some of the families?
4. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
5. How long has Anita been out of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Anita and Chucha see at Toni's house and what does Chucha tell Anita?
2. What does Papi explain to Anita about Carla when Anita gets home?
3. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
4. What does Papi say when he returns from work?
5. What happens when the teacher wants the children to play secret Santa for Christmas?
6. Who comes into the classroom and what does the teacher do?
7. What are Carla and her siblings told to do when they get home, and what does Carla do?
8. How does Anita feel when Oscar comes over to play with Sammy?
9. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
10. Who is moving in next door, and why is Anita particularly happy about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Before We Were Free" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? If not, can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? A cause? A country? An idea? What do you think about blind loyalty; that is, what to do think of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Mr. Washburn remains loyal to Anita's family. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in "Before We Were Free"? Is El Jefe's son's loyalty to his father admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty are depicted in "Before We Were Free"? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Before We Were Free?" How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Before We Were Free," including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Before We Were Free" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)