|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tio Tony?
2. How long has Anita been out of school?
3. Who understands Anita's feelings about Sammy and his friend?
4. What is decided about Susie's birthday?
5. How old is Susie about to turn?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is school supposed to re-open and what happens at that time?
2. What does Anita realize about Sam as she writes in her diary?
3. How does Antia compare American elections to those of her country?
4. Why does Anita use a pencil in her journal?
5. What does Anita's mother say when the children are allowed to go back to school?
6. How does Anita begin to see their leader in a different light?
7. What does the teacher tell Carla and Anita after she goes outside to talk to Carla's mother?
8. What does Papi say when he returns from work?
9. What does Papi explain to Anita about Carla when Anita gets home?
10. Why do parents not like their daughters to go out in public places?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, perhaps a majority of novels, end on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "Before We Were Free "and whether or not it fulfills all three, two, or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "Before We Were Free" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction (no matter how poorly written) enlighten, teach, or stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 3
"Before We Were Free" belongs to the young-adult-novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give examples of three other genres in addition to the young-adult-novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons that it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons that it might be disadvantageous to do so.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young-adult novel and a historical mystery novel ?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)