Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
2. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
3. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
4. What does the teacher tell Anita to do?
5. What is significant about Anita's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anita realize when she writes in her diary?
2. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
3. Why does Anita use a pencil in her journal?
4. How does Anita begin to see their leader in a different light?
5. What does Anita overhear her father say about the Washburns?
6. How does Mrs. Mancini's distrust of people turn out to be fortuitous?
7. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
8. What does Papi explain to Anita about Carla when Anita gets home?
9. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
10. What does Mami say about why the family is staying in the country?
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Before We Were Free." Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alvarez chose the symbols she did?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alvarez chose the metaphors she did?
3. Discuss Alvarez's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Alvarez use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot? Define any elements that you list. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Before We Were Free," identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot or the various elements? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots in "Before We Were Free," identifying their various elements. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)