|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Anita and Chucha look at together?
2. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
3. What worries Anita?
4. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
5. Who is Chucha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the secret police do and say at the compound, and what worries Anita?
2. What do Sammy, Anita and Oscar discuss?
3. When is school supposed to re-open and what happens at that time?
4. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
5. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
6. What does Anita's mother say when the children are allowed to go back to school?
7. Why do parents not like their daughters to go out in public places?
8. What are Carla and her siblings told to do when they get home, and what does Carla do?
9. The morning after Chucha moves in, who arrives at the compound after Anita's father leaves?
10. Describe Chucha and why she is mentioned.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Before We Were Free" belongs to the young-adult-novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give examples of three other genres in addition to the young-adult-novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons that it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons that it might be disadvantageous to do so.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young-adult novel and a historical mystery novel ?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "Before We Were Free."
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea or concept you think may have been a part of the Alvarez's agenda. Analyze that idea as it appears throughout the book and discuss Alvarez's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Julia Alvarez to see if her life may have influenced her writing and, if so, where and how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Before We Were Free."
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Before We Were Free." How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Before We Were Free." How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)