Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men in dark glasses are in the Volkswagons?
2. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
3. What is Anita inclined to say about Oscar's comments about the country?
4. What does the teacher tell Anita to do?
5. What is significant about Anita's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anita realize when she writes in her diary?
2. How does Chucha help Anita and what does Chucha tell her?
3. Why does Anita use a pencil in her journal?
4. How does Anita begin to see their leader in a different light?
5. What does Anita overhear her father say about the Washburns?
6. How does Mrs. Mancini's distrust of people turn out to be fortuitous?
7. What does Papi and the Washburns decide to do about Lucinda?
8. What does Papi explain to Anita about Carla when Anita gets home?
9. What do the children do after the American school is closed and how do they get to school?
10. What does Mami say about why the family is staying in the country?
Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? A cause? A country? An idea? What do you think about blind loyalty; that is, what to do think of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Mr. Washburn remains loyal to Anita's family. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in "Before We Were Free"? Is El Jefe's son's loyalty to his father admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty are depicted in "Before We Were Free"? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "Before We Were Free." Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alvarez chose the symbols she did?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Alvarez chose the metaphors she did?
3. Discuss Alvarez's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Alvarez use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Often authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Julia Alvarez.
2. What in Alvarez's background may have helped her in writing "Before We Were Free"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his or her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)