|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita learn about their new housekeeper?
2. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
3. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
4. What is Anita's response to the answer Chucha gives her about her cousins?
5. What worries Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes into the classroom and what does the teacher do?
2. What does Anita's mother say when the children are allowed to go back to school?
3. Why is Anita spending more time in the bathroom?
4. How does Anita begin to see their leader in a different light?
5. What are Carla and her siblings told to do when they get home, and what does Carla do?
6. Why do parents not like their daughters to go out in public places?
7. Who is moving in next door, and why is Anita particularly happy about it?
8. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
9. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
10. When is school supposed to re-open and what happens at that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. How do you define loyalty? Is the ability and desire to be loyal an admirable trait in humans? Why or why not? What are the advantages and disadvantages of being loyal to a person? A cause? A country? An idea? What do you think about blind loyalty; that is, what to do think of those who are loyal to something no matter what they learn about that person, thing, ideal, country, etc.
2. Discuss and analyze why you think Mr. Washburn remains loyal to Anita's family. Is it warranted? Wise? Earned? What other instances of loyalty occur in "Before We Were Free"? Is El Jefe's son's loyalty to his father admirable?
3. What other admirable traits besides loyalty are depicted in "Before We Were Free"? Discuss fully two of those traits with specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of "Before We Were Free," Anita grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Anita as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Anita?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Anita's growth throughout "Before We Were Free," do you think "Before We Were Free" could be considered Anita's coming-of-age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Before We Were Free" who go through a coming-of-age experience? If yes, who and why do you think so?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)