|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
2. What is one thing that makes Anita realize Oscar is right about their country?
3. Why do the teacher and the two visitors step into the hallway?
4. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
5. Besides Oscar, who helps Anita see their leader in a different light?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Anita at the opening of the story, and what is she doing?
2. Why does Anita's mother send Anita to Tio Toni's home on her way to the party?
3. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
4. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
5. When is school supposed to re-open and what happens at that time?
6. What happens when the teacher wants the children to play secret Santa for Christmas?
7. How does Mami feel about the Washburns living next door and what does she do because of that?
8. How do Anita and Carla react to Carla's leaving, and how does Mami comfort them?
9. How does Anita feel when Oscar comes over to play with Sammy?
10. How does Antia compare American elections to those of her country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Before We Were Free" belongs to the young-adult-novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give examples of three other genres in addition to the young-adult-novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons that it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons that it might be disadvantageous to do so.
3. What do you think is the difference between a young-adult novel and a historical mystery novel ?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Before We Were Free."
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Before We Were Free." How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Before We Were Free." How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot? Define any elements that you list. Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Before We Were Free," identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot or the various elements? Why or why not?
3. Identify the major sub-plots in "Before We Were Free," identifying their various elements. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)