|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
2. What makes Anita think more?
3. How do the men search under the beds?
4. What does Mami tell Anita and Carla to make them feel better?
5. What is she to tell the students about her absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chucha reply when Anita asks about seeing her cousins again, and how does Anita feel about the answer?
2. How does Anita feel when Oscar comes over to play with Sammy?
3. How does Mami feel about the Washburns living next door and what does she do because of that?
4. What do Sammy, Anita and Oscar discuss?
5. Describe Chucha and why she is mentioned.
6. Where is Anita at the opening of the story, and what is she doing?
7. What happens when the teacher wants the children to play secret Santa for Christmas?
8. What do the secret police do and say at the compound, and what worries Anita?
9. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
10. Why does Anita's mother send Anita to Tio Toni's home on her way to the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Before We Were Free."
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Before We Were Free." How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Before We Were Free." How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of "Before We Were Free," Anita grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Anita as she changes from a more carefree, innocent girl to a wiser, young woman. What are the significant events that change Anita?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Anita's growth throughout "Before We Were Free," do you think "Before We Were Free" could be considered Anita's coming-of-age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in "Before We Were Free" who go through a coming-of-age experience? If yes, who and why do you think so?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)