|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year is it when the novel opens?
2. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
3. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
4. Why does Anita's mother say she and Anita's father are staying in the Dominican Republic?
5. How old is Mr. Washburn's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do parents not like their daughters to go out in public places?
2. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
3. Where is Anita at the opening of the story, and what is she doing?
4. What does Papi say when he returns from work?
5. What do Anita and Chucha see at Toni's house and what does Chucha tell Anita?
6. The morning after Chucha moves in, who arrives at the compound after Anita's father leaves?
7. How do Anita and Carla react to Carla's leaving, and how does Mami comfort them?
8. What happens when the teacher wants the children to play secret Santa for Christmas?
9. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
10. Who comes into the classroom and what does the teacher do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable? Why or why not? If yes, which ones?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Before We Were Free." Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Before We Were Free." Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in Before We Were Free. Who is free at the beginning of "Before We Were Free"? Who is free by the end of of the novel? What price was paid for freedom? What types of freedom besides physical freedom are implied?
Essay Topic 3
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)