|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oscar talk about concerning the country?
2. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
3. Why is school not opening on time?
4. Why does Anita go to her uncle's house?
5. What does Anita's papi explain to Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Anita and Carla react to Carla's leaving, and how does Mami comfort them?
2. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
3. What do the secret police do and say at the compound, and what worries Anita?
4. How does Mami feel about the Washburns living next door and what does she do because of that?
5. What does Papi say when he returns from work?
6. How does Anita begin to see their leader in a different light?
7. What does Mami ask Anita not to do?
8. Upon what occasion do the people living in the compound decide to have a party?
9. What do Sammy, Anita and Oscar discuss?
10. What does the teacher tell Carla and Anita after she goes outside to talk to Carla's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting for this novel is The Dominican Republic in the 1960's. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of The Dominican Republic in the 1960's and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the world.
2. Do you think The Dominican Republic is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the The Dominican Republic in the 1960's is from The Dominican Republic of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Before We Were Free." Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Before We Were Free." Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in Before We Were Free. Who is free at the beginning of "Before We Were Free"? Who is free by the end of of the novel? What price was paid for freedom? What types of freedom besides physical freedom are implied?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in "Before We Were Free?" How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in "Before We Were Free," including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from "Before We Were Free" and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)