|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucinda tell Susie about her upcoming birthday?
(a) It is the same day as Lucinda's birthday.
(b) They won't be able to celebrate it this year.
(c) It is an important one in the Dominican Republic.
(d) They always skip celebrating that year's birthday because of superstition.
2. Where does Chucha sleep?
(a) On a pallet on the floor.
(b) In her coffin.
(c) On a narrow cot.
(d) Wherever there is space.
3. How old is Susie about to turn?
4. What does Papi tell the family to pretend?
(a) That they have no idea where their cousins are.
(b) That they are not being watched.
(c) That the the family is being watched for their well being.
(d) That the men who are watcing them are harmless.
5. What is Anita doing when her mother comes in to talk with her?
(b) Writing in her diary.
(c) Her homework.
(d) Washing the dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the children allowed off the compound?
2. Who comes over to spend time with Sammy?
3. What does Anita hear her father talk about on the phone that she finds confusing?
4. Who is Mr. Washburn?
5. For how long has Anita's country had the same leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mami feel about the Washburns living next door and what does she do because of that?
2. The morning after Chucha moves in, who arrives at the compound after Anita's father leaves?
3. What do the secret police do and say at the compound, and what worries Anita?
4. What does Anita realize about Sam as she writes in her diary?
5. What does Papi say when he returns from work?
6. When is school supposed to re-open and what happens at that time?
7. How does Anita feel when Oscar comes over to play with Sammy?
8. What do Sammy, Anita and Oscar discuss?
9. What does Papi explain to Anita about Carla when Anita gets home?
10. Where is Anita at the opening of the story, and what is she doing?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)