|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another name for Mr. Smith?
(a) The Loco.
(b) El Patron.
(d) El Jefe.
2. What does Mami have Anita do after seeing the black Volkswagons?
(a) Hide in the attic.
(b) Run to Tio Tony's house.
(c) Stay at the Americans' house.
(d) Stay in her room.
3. What time of year is it when the novel opens?
(a) Almost Thanksgiving.
4. Who have gathered at Tio Tony's house on the night of the party?
(a) Most of Anita's relatives.
(b) Some of the party guests.
(c) A group of men.
(d) Just two of Tony's closests friends.
5. Why does Anita's mother say she and Anita's father are staying in the Dominican Republic?
(a) To wait for Anita's mother to give birth.
(b) To fight against the things that are wrong.
(c) For Anita's father to run for public office.
(d) To try to sell the business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
2. What topics do Sammy, Anita and Sammy's visitor discuss?
3. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
4. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
5. What is the class preparing to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anita use a pencil in her journal?
2. Where is Anita at the opening of the story, and what is she doing?
3. How does Anita feel when Oscar comes over to play with Sammy?
4. What does Mami say about why the family is staying in the country?
5. What are Carla and her siblings told to do when they get home, and what does Carla do?
6. What does Chucha reply when Anita asks about seeing her cousins again, and how does Anita feel about the answer?
7. Upon what occasion do the people living in the compound decide to have a party?
8. What does Papi say when he returns from work?
9. How do Anita and Carla react to Carla's leaving, and how does Mami comfort them?
10. What does Anita realize when she writes in her diary?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)