|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that makes Anita realize Oscar is right about their country?
(a) The way the Secret Police stand on every street corner.
(b) The way the teachers never veer from planned lessons.
(c) The way she has to erase her diary.
(d) The way her father and mother speak in low tones all the time.
2. What does Lucinda say the men know about their cousins?
(a) Where the cousins are.
(b) That the cousins have been arrested.
(c) That they are out of this country, but not yet at their destination.
3. Where is the setting of the school?
(a) Dominican Republic.
4. Why are the students unsettled about the visitors to the classroom?
(a) It is interrupting their practice time.
(b) They think something is wrong with Anita's mother.
(c) It is almost time for recess, but they can't leave until the teacher dismisses them.
(d) The last time it happened, one student left and never came back.
5. What does Anita's papi explain to Anita?
(a) That Carla's family has received permission to leave the country.
(b) That Carla's family has to go into hiding.
(c) That Anita's mother and Anita must go to the United States.
(d) That she must go with Carla to the United Sates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chucha often see in her dreams?
2. What worries Anita?
3. What happens when Anita asks adults about her country's leader?
4. Who comes over to spend time with Sammy?
5. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
2. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
3. How does Mami feel about the Washburns living next door and what does she do because of that?
4. What does Anita realize about Sam as she writes in her diary?
5. What does the teacher tell Carla and Anita after she goes outside to talk to Carla's mother?
6. What does Papi explain to Anita about Carla when Anita gets home?
7. What happens when the teacher wants the children to play secret Santa for Christmas?
8. The morning after Chucha moves in, who arrives at the compound after Anita's father leaves?
9. Why does Anita use a pencil in her journal?
10. What does Chucha reply when Anita asks about seeing her cousins again, and how does Anita feel about the answer?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)