|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Washburn?
(a) A man from the British consulate.
(b) A U.S. military officer.
(c) A CIA agent.
(d) A man from the American embassy.
2. Why does Anita's father say they have to stay?
(a) To mind the store.
(b) To see if Tio Enrique will return.
(c) To wait for Anita's older borther to be released from prison.
(d) To wait for Anita's older brother to get out of the military.
3. What is significant about Anita's family?
(a) They are the most wealthy of the families that live in the compound.
(b) They are the only family left who has lived in the compound.
(c) They have not sought permission to enter the U.S.
(d) They are not from the Dominican Republic originally.
4. What does Anita help Carla do?
(a) Sew her name into her clothing.
(b) Wash her dresses.
(c) Choose a jewelry box.
(d) Sew a button on one of Carla's dresses.
5. What topics do Sammy, Anita and Sammy's visitor discuss?
(a) Moving to the United States.
(d) Community and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doesn't feel right to some of the students?
2. What happens when word is taken to Tony's house that Mr. Smith's friends are there?
3. What is one thing that makes Anita realize Oscar is right about their country?
4. What is one thing Anita learns about their country's leader?
5. Who does Anita's father take to work the day after Carla leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning after Chucha moves in, who arrives at the compound after Anita's father leaves?
2. How do Anita and Carla react to Carla's leaving, and how does Mami comfort them?
3. What do Sam and Anita see at Tio Tony's home and what do they decide to do about it?
4. What do Sammy, Anita and Oscar discuss?
5. Why is Anita spending more time in the bathroom?
6. What do the secret police do and say at the compound, and what worries Anita?
7. Why do parents not like their daughters to go out in public places?
8. What happens when the teacher wants the children to play secret Santa for Christmas?
9. What are Carla and her siblings told to do when they get home, and what does Carla do?
10. Why does Anita's mother send Anita to Tio Toni's home on her way to the party?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)