|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anita realize when she looks inside?
(a) The well is drying.
(b) The chickens are almost as cowed as the humans.
(c) Her uncle is there.
(d) Her cousin who went away with her uncle.
2. What does Anita's mother want her to do with her diary?
(a) Not write in it anymore.
(b) Give it to her to safeguard.
(c) Burn it.
(d) Keep it well hidden.
3. What does Anita realize about Sam?
(a) He is brilliant.
(b) She wants him to be her boyfriend.
(c) He has special talents.
(d) He has a core of wildness in him.
4. What happens when word is taken to Tony's house that Mr. Smith's friends are there?
(a) Nothing because Tony has already been smuggled into the United States.
(b) Tony runs and hides in the Americans' home.
(c) Tony goes down a trap door in the cellar.
(d) Everyone disperses.
5. What is the code name used for the person who likes young girls as sexual objects?
(a) The dictator's son.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Smith.
(d) The dictator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mami tell Anita and Lucinda to do?
2. What aspects of her country and of the United States does Anita compare?.
3. Where does Lucinda take Anita to talk to her?
4. What topics do Sammy, Anita and Sammy's visitor discuss?
5. What do Carla and Anita find difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anita begin to see their leader in a different light?
2. How does Anita feel when Oscar comes over to play with Sammy?
3. What does the teacher tell Carla and Anita after she goes outside to talk to Carla's mother?
4. What does Mami say about why the family is staying in the country?
5. How do Anita and Carla react to Carla's leaving, and how does Mami comfort them?
6. Who is moving in next door, and why is Anita particularly happy about it?
7. What does Anita realize about Sam as she writes in her diary?
8. How does Anita's mother talk to her for the first time?
9. What does Anita's mother say when the children are allowed to go back to school?
10. Why is Anita spending more time in the bathroom?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)