|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her November 10th entry, Christine receives a call from Dr. Nash telling her about the journal and directing her to its hiding place where?
2. Christine suffers from an inability to retain what?
3. What does it say in relation to Dr. Nash's appointment in Christine's diary in Part 1: Today?
4. What is the setting of "Before I Go to Sleep"?
5. What is Christine's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christine feel about her situation and her husband when she is left alone in Part 1: Today?
2. Who contacts Christine by special phone in Part 1: Today? How does she know this person?
3. What does Ben tell Christine about her son in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 14? What is Christine's reaction?
4. Where does Christine write of having gone with Ben in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 10? What did she learn?
5. What memory does Christine have in the bathroom in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 14?
6. Where does Christine go with Dr. Nash in Part 1: Today? What does he explain to her about her past?
7. Where does Dr. Nash take Christine in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 9?
8. What memory returns to Christine while in the house she once lived in with Dr. Nash in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 12?
9. What are Dr. Nash's motivations in helping Christine? Are they pure?
10. Who does Christine call to ask about her novel in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 13? What conflicting stories does she hear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Christine as the protagonist of the narrative. How old is Christine? How is information about her character revealed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Christine's experiences at the psychiatric hospital in Part 2: The Journal of Christine Lucas, November 19. Who is Dr. Wilson and how well does he know Christine?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the theme of memory in the novel. What symbolism and imagery reinforces this theme?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)