|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sita's roommate in chapter 10?
2. What holiday does Wallace Pfef describe as "hard on a man alone"?
3. When Dot runs away from home, what is her intended destination?
4. During the Christmas play, with what does Dot get in a fight?
5. Whose bathrobe does Dot borrow for the Christmas play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
2. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
3. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
4. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
5. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
6. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
7. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
8. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
9. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
10. As discussed in chapter 10, to whom does Dot give the wheelchair? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" and the aspects of his personality that contribute to it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)