|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Russell Kashpaw living in chapter 10?
2. According to Wallace Pfef, what does Dot love?
3. Who dunks Wallace Pfef in the dunk tank?
4. Who is mentioned in chapter 10 as having had a crush on Sita?
5. When Dot runs away from home, what is her intended destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary normally behave during a children's party?
2. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
3. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
4. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
5. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
6. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
7. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
8. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
9. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
10. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)