|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary find in Sita's flour canister?
2. What is Mary making at the beginning of chapter 13?
3. As mentioned in chapter 10, who has "a face like Sitting Bull"?
4. Which company does Wallace Pfef hire as a skywriter?
5. What does Wallace Pfef give Mary to drink in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
2. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
3. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
4. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
5. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
6. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
7. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
8. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
9. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
10. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)