|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suffers a stroke in chapter 8?
2. What does Wallace Pfef give Mary to drink in chapter 12?
3. What creature does Celestine see in the baby's hair at the end of chapter 9?
4. With what is Louis experimenting in chapter 8?
5. Who spends a night stuffing the ballot boxes for Beet Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
2. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
3. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
4. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
5. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
6. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
7. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
8. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
9. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
10. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)