|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Mary find in her stock pens in the beginning of chapter 10?
2. Where do Celestine, Dot, and Karl meet for breakfast in chapter 12?
3. Who gives Celestine's baby the nickname Dot?
4. Whose bathrobe does Dot borrow for the Christmas play?
5. Who throws Dot a party in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
2. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
3. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
4. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
5. How does Mary normally behave during a children's party?
6. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
7. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
8. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
9. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
10. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 3
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)