|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Louis experimenting in chapter 8?
2. What is the name of Dot's first grade teacher?
3. Who almost dies at the end of chapter 13?
4. From what did Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart" die?
5. Russell Kashpaw keeps a lock on his shack so that which person can't enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
2. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
3. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
4. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
5. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
6. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
7. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
8. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
9. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
10. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three of the conflicts surrounding the Beet Festival and how they are interrelated. Support your thoughts with details that you remember from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)