|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Russell Kashpaw discovers that who is pregnant?
2. What creature does Celestine see in the baby's hair at the end of chapter 9?
3. Whose prescription medications does Sita have stored away for her own use?
4. In whose house does Celestine give birth?
5. From what did Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart" die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
2. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
3. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
4. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
5. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
6. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
7. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
8. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
9. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
10. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author's use of flashbacks throughout the novel fill in the reader's sense of the characters' history? Choose one character and discuss his or her life prior to the novel, as expressed in flashbacks, and then explain how this method of conveying history is helpful or unhelpful to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mrs. Waldvogel in as much detail as possible and discuss her importance in Sita's life.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)