|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the godmother of Celestine's baby?
2. Whose bathrobe does Dot borrow for the Christmas play?
3. Which is NOT a queen in Argus?
4. Despite Dot's story to Mary in chapter 10, where is the "naughty box"?
5. As mentioned in chapter 10, who has "a face like Sitting Bull"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
2. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
3. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
4. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
5. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
6. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
7. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
8. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
9. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
10. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explicate Sita's hallucination in which Karl sinks into the ground. What happens? When does the hallucination begin? How do the other characters react and how would the scene have been changed if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)