|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary report as burnt in the beginning of chapter 11?
2. Whose prescription medications does Sita have stored away for her own use?
3. What holiday does Wallace Pfef describe as "hard on a man alone"?
4. Who is the main character of the last section of chapter 11, "The Birdorama"?
5. What does Louis say is attracted to the trumpet vines in Sita's garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
2. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
3. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
4. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
5. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
6. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
7. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
8. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
9. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
10. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mrs. Waldvogel in as much detail as possible and discuss her importance in Sita's life.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)