|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of the party thrown for Dot?
2. Which character is portrayed as enraged in "The Birdorama" in chapter 11?
3. During the Christmas play, with what does Dot get in a fight?
4. Where do Karl and Celestine get married?
5. Who is in the truck that Karl sits in in chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
2. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
3. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
4. How does Mary normally behave during a children's party?
5. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
6. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
7. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
8. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
9. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
10. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three of the conflicts surrounding the Beet Festival and how they are interrelated. Support your thoughts with details that you remember from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of flashbacks throughout the novel fill in the reader's sense of the characters' history? Choose one character and discuss his or her life prior to the novel, as expressed in flashbacks, and then explain how this method of conveying history is helpful or unhelpful to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)