|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank?
2. Sita reports in chapter 13 that she gave the sewing machine to whom?
3. What does Mary find in Sita's flour canister?
4. What is Mary making at the beginning of chapter 13?
5. What does Celestine put in her Jell-O salad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
2. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
3. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
4. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
5. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
6. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
7. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
8. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
9. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
10. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" and the aspects of his personality that contribute to it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three of the conflicts surrounding the Beet Festival and how they are interrelated. Support your thoughts with details that you remember from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)