|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pest is repelled by smoke?
2. Whose prescription medications does Sita have stored away for her own use?
3. What is the theme of the party thrown for Dot?
4. What type of sandwich does Sita make for Louis and Karl in chapter 8?
5. Who dunks Wallace Pfef in the dunk tank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
2. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
3. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
4. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
5. How does Mary normally behave during a children's party?
6. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
7. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
8. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
9. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
10. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 2
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)