|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company does Wallace Pfef hire as a skywriter?
2. Who spends a night stuffing the ballot boxes for Beet Queen?
3. What does Louis say is attracted to the trumpet vines in Sita's garden?
4. In Sita's hallucination, who sinks into the ground?
5. What does Celestine use to groom Karl's nails?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
2. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
3. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
4. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
5. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
6. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
7. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
8. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
9. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
10. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Erdrich's sense of plot and narration in the following two scenes: when Mary has her accident in the ice and when Russell Kashpaw lights his menu on fire.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Adelaide's character and the way she interacts with the various characters. Which characters does she love? Which characters does she feel able to abandon? Why?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)