|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who almost dies at the end of chapter 13?
2. During the Christmas play, with what does Dot get in a fight?
3. Who joins the pilot who does the skywriting for the Beet Festival?
4. Whose bathrobe does Dot borrow for the Christmas play?
5. Who throws Dot a party in chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
2. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
3. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
4. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
5. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
6. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
7. How does Mary normally behave during a children's party?
8. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
9. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
10. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of flashbacks throughout the novel fill in the reader's sense of the characters' history? Choose one character and discuss his or her life prior to the novel, as expressed in flashbacks, and then explain how this method of conveying history is helpful or unhelpful to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)