|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what did Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart" die?
2. How old is Dot at the beginning of chapter 11?
3. Who throws Dot a party in chapter 12?
4. Where does Karl go after leaving Wallace Pfef's house in chapter 9?
5. Who is Wallace Pfef's favorite butcher shop employee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
2. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
3. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
4. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
5. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
6. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
7. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
8. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
9. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
10. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author's use of flashbacks throughout the novel fill in the reader's sense of the characters' history? Choose one character and discuss his or her life prior to the novel, as expressed in flashbacks, and then explain how this method of conveying history is helpful or unhelpful to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three of the conflicts surrounding the Beet Festival and how they are interrelated. Support your thoughts with details that you remember from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)