|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pest is repelled by smoke?
2. What does Celestine name her baby?
3. Who is mentioned in chapter 10 as having had a crush on Sita?
4. With whom does Mary have a serious argument in chapter 10?
5. Who almost dies at the end of chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
2. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
3. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
4. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
5. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
6. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
7. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
8. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
9. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
10. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
Essay Topic 3
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)