|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Dot a wheelchair in chapter 10?
2. What does Wallace Pfef give Mary to drink in chapter 12?
3. Where does Karl go after leaving Wallace Pfef's house in chapter 9?
4. How old is Dot at the beginning of chapter 11?
5. Whom does Sita marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
2. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
3. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
4. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
5. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
6. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
7. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
8. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
9. As discussed in chapter 10, to whom does Dot give the wheelchair? Why?
10. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)