|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wallace Pfef's favorite butcher shop employee?
2. Whom does Wallace Pfef visit in the hospital?
3. What dish does Mary plan to take to the potluck after the Christmas play?
4. What does Louis say is attracted to the trumpet vines in Sita's garden?
5. With what is Louis experimenting in chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
2. How does Mary normally behave during a children's party?
3. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
4. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
5. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
6. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
7. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
8. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
9. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
10. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)