|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary find in Sita's flour canister?
2. What does Celestine use to groom Karl's nails?
3. What is Russell Kashpaw doing in chapter 8?
4. Where do Karl and Celestine get married?
5. Who is the main character of the last section of chapter 11, "The Birdorama"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
2. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
3. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
4. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
5. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
6. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
7. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
8. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
9. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
10. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of flashbacks throughout the novel fill in the reader's sense of the characters' history? Choose one character and discuss his or her life prior to the novel, as expressed in flashbacks, and then explain how this method of conveying history is helpful or unhelpful to the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)