|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which company does Wallace Pfef hire as a skywriter?
2. What does Celestine use to groom Karl's nails?
3. What creature does Celestine see in the baby's hair at the end of chapter 9?
4. What book is Karl carrying in chapter 8 when he visits Sita?
5. Who joins the pilot who does the skywriting for the Beet Festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
2. Explain Mary's reaction to Celestine's Jell-O prank.
3. As discussed in chapter 10, to whom does Dot give the wheelchair? Why?
4. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
5. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
6. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
7. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
8. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
9. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
10. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Erdrich's sense of plot and narration in the following two scenes: when Mary has her accident in the ice and when Russell Kashpaw lights his menu on fire.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)