|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Celestine name her baby?
2. Who throws Dot a party in chapter 12?
3. Which company does Wallace Pfef hire as a skywriter?
4. What object does Karl keep through all his moves?
5. What creature does Celestine see in the baby's hair at the end of chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
2. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
3. Why does Jude Miller come to Argus in chapter 14?
4. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
5. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
6. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
7. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
8. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
9. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
10. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)