|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes the godmother of Celestine's baby?
2. Russell Kashpaw keeps a lock on his shack so that which person can't enter?
3. What is the name of Dot's first grade teacher?
4. What trait does Wallace Pfef admire most in Dot?
5. What role does Dot have in the Christmas play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
2. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
3. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
4. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
5. As discussed in chapter 10, to whom does Dot give the wheelchair? Why?
6. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
7. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
8. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
9. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
10. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Jell-O salad symbolize in the friendship between Mary and Celestine? What other objects symbolize something similar? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 3
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)