|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pest is repelled by smoke?
2. Who rescues Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank?
3. According to Wallace Pfef, what does Dot love?
4. What does Wallace Pfef give Mary to drink in chapter 12?
5. What trait does Wallace Pfef admire most in Dot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" during the Christmas play, as mentioned in chapter 12? Why does he describe it that way?
2. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
3. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
4. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
5. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
6. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
7. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
8. What happens between Mary and Mrs. Shumway in chapter 10?
9. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
10. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Jell-O salad symbolize in the friendship between Mary and Celestine? What other objects symbolize something similar? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)