|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who almost dies at the end of chapter 13?
2. What does Louis say is attracted to the trumpet vines in Sita's garden?
3. As mentioned in the beginning of chapter 14, what does Wallace Pfef give Dot?
4. What is the name of Dot's first grade teacher?
5. Who gives Dot a wheelchair in chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 12, what does Wallace Pfef plan in order to regain Dot's affection? Does he succeed? Explain.
2. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
3. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
4. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
5. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
6. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
7. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
8. How does Wallace Pfef find out about the relationship between Celestine and Karl?
9. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
10. Describe the setting in which Celestine gives birth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)