|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Karl eat on the train in the second part of chapter 1?
2. To whom does Catherine Miller confess about the baby Jude, as discussed in chapter 5?
3. About whom does Karl fantasize in chapter 3?
4. Who becomes Mary's best friend in chapter 2?
5. What body part pains Karl the most in the beginning of chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
2. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
3. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
4. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
5. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
6. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
7. Describe Chez Sita.
8. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
9. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
10. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" and the aspects of his personality that contribute to it.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Erdrich's sense of plot and narration in the following two scenes: when Mary has her accident in the ice and when Russell Kashpaw lights his menu on fire.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)