|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business does Jimmy run?
2. What is the name of Catherine Miller's baby?
3. In Mary's opinion, what is the most striking feature of the person she has romantic feelings for?
4. In which state do the children look for their aunt?
5. What does Sita buy at the pawn shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
2. Describe Chez Sita.
3. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
4. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
5. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
6. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
7. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
8. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
9. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
10. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author's use of flashbacks throughout the novel fill in the reader's sense of the characters' history? Choose one character and discuss his or her life prior to the novel, as expressed in flashbacks, and then explain how this method of conveying history is helpful or unhelpful to the reader.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)