|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business does Jimmy run?
2. What is the name of Adelaide's pilot-companion?
3. What chases Karl in "The Branch"?
4. What vehicle does Mary drive to Sita's restaurant opening?
5. What happens to the damaged tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
2. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
3. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
4. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
5. Describe Wallace Pfef's vision for the sugar beet, as described in chapter 6?
6. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
7. Describe Chez Sita.
8. Describe Fleur Pillager, her possessions, and her job.
9. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
10. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)