|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the girl in the first paragraph of "The Branch"?
2. Who is in the bar that Sita enters at the end of chapter 5?
3. According to Adelaide, what type of person chews gum?
4. What is the name of the pawn shop in chapter 5?
5. What is the name of Karl's companion on the train in the second part of chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
2. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
3. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
4. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
5. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
6. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
7. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
8. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
9. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
10. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)