|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are Celestine's eyes?
2. What word sticks in Sita's brain during the ordination ceremony?
3. What does Mary give Sita at the end of chapter 7?
4. What happens to the damaged tree?
5. Who suffers headaches as a result of flood damage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
2. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
3. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
4. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
5. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
6. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
7. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
8. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
9. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
10. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mrs. Waldvogel in as much detail as possible and discuss her importance in Sita's life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)