|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Karl's companion on the train in the second part of chapter 1?
2. What is inside Adelaide's blue box, according to chapter 2?
3. Where does Sita move in chapter 4?
4. What does Sita use on her forehead to prevent wrinkles?
5. What is the name of the mother of Karl and Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
2. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
3. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
4. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
5. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
6. Describe Fleur Pillager, her possessions, and her job.
7. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
8. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
9. Describe Chez Sita.
10. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)