|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who faints in chapter 1?
2. What is the name of Mary's teacher in chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the person who rescues Karl?
4. What color are Mary's eyes?
5. What body part pains Karl the most in the beginning of chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
2. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
3. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
4. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
5. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
6. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
7. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
8. Describe Fleur Pillager, her possessions, and her job.
9. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
10. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Mrs. Waldvogel in as much detail as possible and discuss her importance in Sita's life.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)