|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the restaurant that Sita opens in chapter 7?
2. What is the name of the person whom Sita mentions as killing the chickens?
3. In the beginning of chapter 6, what man does Karl meet?
4. According to chapter 3, what is Mary's favorite location?
5. What does Sita buy at the pawn shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
2. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
3. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
4. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
5. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
6. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
7. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
8. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
9. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
10. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the Jell-O salad symbolize in the friendship between Mary and Celestine? What other objects symbolize something similar? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)