|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop does the aunt own?
2. What is Jimmy's pet name for Sita?
3. Who becomes Mary's best friend in chapter 2?
4. Where does Celestine work?
5. What vehicle does Mary drive to Sita's restaurant opening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
2. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
3. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
4. Describe Mary's one attempt at romance.
5. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
6. Describe Celestine's appearance, as related in chapter 2.
7. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
8. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
9. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
10. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)