|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of business does Jimmy run?
2. What does Karl's rescuer use to hear trains?
3. With whom does Celestine fall in love in chapter 7?
4. Who becomes Mary's best friend in chapter 2?
5. Which character loves to hear her fortune told?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
2. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
3. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
4. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
5. Why does Mary give Sita the sewing machine in chapter 7?
6. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
7. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
8. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
9. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
10. Describe Celestine's appearance, as related in chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explicate Sita's hallucination in which Karl sinks into the ground. What happens? When does the hallucination begin? How do the other characters react and how would the scene have been changed if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
Essay Topic 3
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)