|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is the train compared in the beginning of chapter 1?
2. What does Sita buy at the pawn shop?
3. What city does Sita visit in chapter 5?
4. What happens to the damaged tree?
5. What day does Sita hate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the group of men who gather in the butcher shop in chapter 4.
2. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
3. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
4. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
5. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
6. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
7. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
8. Describe Celestine's appearance, as related in chapter 2.
9. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
10. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)