|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom does Mary receive a postcard in chapter 3?
2. What does Karl eat on the train in the second part of chapter 1?
3. Who takes classes at The Dorothy Ludlow Evening School of Charm?
4. What item does Sita choose NOT to buy?
5. What city does Sita visit in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
2. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
3. Describe Sita's house, as pictured in chapter 13.
4. Describe Dot's appearance in costume as Joseph.
5. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
6. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
7. Why does Sheriff Pausch visit Sita's house in chapter 8, and what does he find when he gets there?
8. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
9. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
10. Describe Dot's appearance during the Beet Festival.
Essay Topic 1
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)