|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what part of the cow does the cow's diamond come?
2. Who breaks the tree in "The Branch"?
3. Where does Sita move in chapter 4?
4. Who is in the bar that Sita enters at the end of chapter 5?
5. What city is the setting of the beginning of chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
2. What is Celestine's opinion of Mary's cooking, as stated in chapter 11? Why does she hold this opinion?
3. How does Karl interact with Dot in chapter 12? Does Dot respond well? Explain.
4. Describe Wallace Pfef's experience in organizing the Beet Festival.
5. How do Mary and Celestine deal with Sita's body?
6. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
7. Describe Wallace Pfef's "poor dead sweetheart."
8. Describe Sita's hallucination in chapter 8.
9. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
10. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)