|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to chapter 3, what does Adelaide want to send Mary?
2. What is Jimmy's pet name for Sita?
3. What hobby does Fritzie pick up in chapter 4?
4. Which character injures himself after jumping on the bed?
5. What city is the setting of the beginning of chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary's one attempt at romance.
2. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
3. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
4. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
5. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
6. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
7. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
8. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
9. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
10. How does The Air Seeder work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" and the aspects of his personality that contribute to it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)