|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Adelaide's pilot-companion?
2. According to chapter 3, what does Adelaide want to send Mary?
3. How do the characters in the first paragraph of "The Branch" travel?
4. What does Wallace Pfef buy from the butcher shop in chapter 7?
5. What does Mary give Sita at the end of chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
2. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
3. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
4. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
5. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
6. Why does Mary give Sita the sewing machine in chapter 7?
7. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
8. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
9. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
10. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Wallace Pfef's "private disaster" and the aspects of his personality that contribute to it.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)