|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the fair to which the narrator goes in chapter 1?
2. Who suffers headaches as a result of flood damage?
3. What happens to the damaged tree?
4. According to Adelaide, what type of person chews gum?
5. Who helps Sita and Celestine at the butcher shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
2. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
3. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
4. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
5. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
6. How does The Air Seeder work?
7. Describe Chez Sita.
8. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
9. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
10. Describe Wallace Pfef's vision for the sugar beet, as described in chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail Adelaide's character and the way she interacts with the various characters. Which characters does she love? Which characters does she feel able to abandon? Why?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)