|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character loves to hear her fortune told?
2. What is the name of the mother of Karl and Mary?
3. Who is the only person towards whom Mary has romantic feelings?
4. About whom does Karl fantasize in chapter 3?
5. What chases Karl in "The Branch"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
2. Describe Celestine's appearance, as related in chapter 2.
3. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
4. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
5. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
6. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
7. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
8. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
9. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
10. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)