|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the girl in the first paragraph of "The Branch"?
2. Who suffers headaches as a result of flood damage?
3. Who has a heart attack in chapter 4?
4. According to chapter 3, what is Mary's favorite location?
5. Who helps Sita and Celestine at the butcher shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
2. Describe Celestine's appearance, as related in chapter 2.
3. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
4. Describe Wallace Pfef's vision for the sugar beet, as described in chapter 6?
5. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
6. Describe Fleur Pillager, her possessions, and her job.
7. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
8. Describe Chez Sita.
9. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
10. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explicate Sita's hallucination in which Karl sinks into the ground. What happens? When does the hallucination begin? How do the other characters react and how would the scene have been changed if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)