|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Karl not to be able to tell his rescuer what happened?
2. What is the name of the person who rescues Karl?
3. How far do Karl and his rescuer travel daily in chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the person whom Sita mentions as killing the chickens?
5. What is inside Adelaide's blue box, according to chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
2. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
3. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
4. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
5. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
6. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
7. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
8. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
9. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
10. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
Essay Topic 1
Explicate Sita's hallucination in which Karl sinks into the ground. What happens? When does the hallucination begin? How do the other characters react and how would the scene have been changed if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator?
Essay Topic 2
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in the author's writing style between when she is emphasizing setting and when she is emphasizing plot.
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)