|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to chapter 3, what is Mary's favorite location?
2. Who is being considered for "North Dakota's Most Decorated Hero"?
3. What is the name of the fair to which the narrator goes in chapter 1?
4. What is the name of Karl's companion on the train in the second part of chapter 1?
5. What color are Mary's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
2. Why does Mary give Sita the sewing machine in chapter 7?
3. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
4. Why does Louis take Sita to the mental hospital?
5. How does Celestine feel about the baby, Dot, in chapter 9?
6. As discussed in chapter 8, why does Sita feel bad about her estrangement from the Catholic Church?
7. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
8. Why does the Christmas play in chapter 11 end prematurely?
9. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
10. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
Essay Topic 1
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)