|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in chapter 2 carries the cow's diamond for luck?
2. What does Mary give Sita at the end of chapter 7?
3. What is the name of the mother of Karl and Mary?
4. What body part pains Karl the most in the beginning of chapter 3?
5. What kind of shop does the aunt own?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
2. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
3. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
4. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
5. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
6. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
7. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
8. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
9. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
10. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the rain at the end of the novel signify, and how does it compare to other symbols in the novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Erdrich's sense of plot and narration in the following two scenes: when Mary has her accident in the ice and when Russell Kashpaw lights his menu on fire.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)