|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Sita choose NOT to buy?
2. What is mentioned as a WPA project?
3. In which state do the children look for their aunt?
4. Who is the narrator of chapter 1?
5. What color are Celestine's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
2. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
3. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
4. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
5. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
6. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
7. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
8. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
9. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
10. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Adelaide's character and the way she interacts with the various characters. Which characters does she love? Which characters does she feel able to abandon? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the setting of Sita's home parallel her life, personality, and choice of death? Explain.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)