|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adelaide buy for Karl in chapter 1?
2. What does Wallace Pfef buy from the butcher shop in chapter 7?
3. What city does Sita visit in chapter 5?
4. Who is being considered for "North Dakota's Most Decorated Hero"?
5. What happens to the damaged tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
2. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
3. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
4. How does The Air Seeder work?
5. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
6. Why does Mary give Sita the sewing machine in chapter 7?
7. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
8. Describe Mary's one attempt at romance.
9. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
10. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the symbol of Adelaide's jewel box with the symbol of the jewelry itself, discussing the various characters' perceptions of each.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a device from the novel that propels the plot forward. How does it work? What action does it bring about? What are other possible plot lines that the device could have brought about? Explain.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)