|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Sita visit in chapter 5?
2. What product is Karl selling in the beginning of chapter 6?
3. According to chapter 1, what is the adjective with which Karl's mother describes Karl?
4. In Mary's opinion, what is the most striking feature of the person she has romantic feelings for?
5. What brand of cigarette does Celestine smoke?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mary's one attempt at romance.
2. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
3. Describe the setting of "Russell's Night" in chapter 8.
4. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
5. Describe Chez Sita.
6. Why does Karl rescue Wallace Pfef from the dunk tank at the Beet Festival?
7. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
8. Why does Mrs. Shumway send Dot to the "naughty box" in chapter 10?
9. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
10. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the jewel box as a symbol for the various characters, including its significance when unopened, when opened, and later on in the novel when Sita takes it with her to Minneapolis.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)