|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose face does Mary see in the ice?
2. What is the name of the restaurant that Sita opens in chapter 7?
3. What item does Sita choose NOT to buy?
4. What is inside Adelaide's blue box, according to chapter 2?
5. What happens to the damaged tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
2. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
3. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
4. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
5. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
6. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
7. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
8. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
9. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
10. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the sugar beet play in the novel, both as a symbol and as a plot device? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of failed romance throughout the novel and how it affects the various characters' lives, particularly Mary's life.
Essay Topic 3
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)