|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to chapter 3, what is Mary's favorite location?
2. Who breaks the tree in "The Branch"?
3. What is the name of Catherine Miller's baby?
4. About whom does Karl fantasize in chapter 3?
5. Who is in the bar that Sita enters at the end of chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
2. Describe Celestine's appearance, as related in chapter 2.
3. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
4. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
5. Why does Karl make a note of the change on the table in chapter 6 when he and Wallace Pfef are having drinks?
6. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
7. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
8. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
9. How does the empty jewel box in chapter 1 shape Mary's character?
10. How does The Air Seeder work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Erdrich use different narrators to create different effects? Choose a scene and describe how its narrator conveys the situation from a particular perspective. Then explain how the reader's perception of the scene would have been different if Erdrich had chosen a different narrator.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail Adelaide's character and the way she interacts with the various characters. Which characters does she love? Which characters does she feel able to abandon? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)