|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose menu catches on fire?
2. What kind of business does Jimmy run?
3. About whom does Karl fantasize in chapter 3?
4. What is the name of Catherine Miller's baby?
5. What does Sita buy at the pawn shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
2. How does Sita feel when Pete gives Mary the cow's diamond? Why?
3. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
4. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
5. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
6. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
7. In chapter 7, why does Wallace Pfef want to see Mary?
8. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
9. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
10. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one theme that has appeared and reappeared throughout the novel. Describe its importance to the character it affects, and discuss its significance for the plot line.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Erdrich's use of dialogue in the scene in which Karl and Wallace Pfef meet.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the character of Fleur Pillager and her role in the novel.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)