|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Karl's rescuer use to hear trains?
(a) A special boot attachment.
(b) A hearing aid.
(d) A dog.
2. What does Adelaide buy for Karl in chapter 1?
(a) A pocket knife.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A pair of roller skates.
(d) A cap gun.
3. What is the name of the father of Karl and Mary?
(a) Mr. Jones.
(b) Mr. Ober.
4. What chases Karl in "The Branch"?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A man with a rifle.
(c) A bear.
(d) A dog.
5. In which state do the children look for their aunt?
(b) South Dakota.
(d) North Dakota.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Karl's rescuer leave him?
2. According to chapter 1, what is the adjective with which Karl's mother describes Karl?
3. Which character in chapter 2 carries the cow's diamond for luck?
4. What does Wallace Pfef buy from the butcher shop in chapter 7?
5. What body part pains Karl the most in the beginning of chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chez Sita.
2. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
3. What does Karl fantasize about his mother in chapter 3? Why?
4. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
5. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
6. Describe Sita's relationship with Jimmy in chapter 5.
7. Why does Mary give Sita the sewing machine in chapter 7?
8. Explain the relationship between Mr. Ober and Mary's family, as well as the effects his death has on them.
9. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
10. Describe Wallace Pfef's vision for the sugar beet, as described in chapter 6?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)