|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suffers headaches as a result of flood damage?
2. What does Adelaide steal from the landlady in chapter 1?
(a) A sack of potatoes.
(b) A bank bag full of money.
(c) Twelve spoons.
(d) A silver tea set.
3. Which character in chapter 2 carries the cow's diamond for luck?
4. According to Adelaide, what type of person chews gum?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A hobo.
(c) A tramp.
(d) A yuppie.
5. Whose menu catches on fire?
(c) Russell Kashpaw's.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the girl in the first paragraph of "The Branch"?
2. Where does Mary run at the end of "The Branch"?
3. What does Karl eat on the train in the second part of chapter 1?
4. In which state do the children look for their aunt?
5. Who dies in chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Wallace Pfef's vision for the sugar beet, as described in chapter 6?
2. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
3. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
4. Describe Sita's experience in Minneapolis in chapter 5.
5. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
6. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
7. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
8. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
9. Explain the town's reaction to Mary's accident in the ice in chapter 2.
10. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)