|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Karl not to be able to tell his rescuer what happened?
(d) A gag.
2. What does Adelaide buy for Karl in chapter 1?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A cap gun.
(c) A pocket knife.
(d) A pair of roller skates.
3. What day does Sita hate?
4. What is the name of the fair to which the narrator goes in chapter 1?
(a) The Orphan's Picnic.
(b) The Renaissance Festival.
(c) The Minnesota State Fair.
(d) The Greater Sioux Falls Bazaar.
5. What is Jimmy's pet name for Sita?
(c) "Baby darling."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who grows a container garden?
2. Who dies in chapter 7?
3. What is the name of the person whom Sita mentions as killing the chickens?
4. What does Wallace Pfef want to build over Lover's Lane?
5. What color dress do Sita and Mary wear on the first day of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary feel afraid at the beginning of chapter 1 when Karl leaves?
2. Why does Karl run back to the train at the end of "The Branch"?
3. What happens to Fritzie's health in chapter 4? How does she change afterward?
4. How does Mary react to receiving a postcard from Adelaide in chapter 3?
5. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
6. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
7. Why does Russell Kashpaw dislike Karl?
8. Describe Argus, as pictured in "The Branch."
9. Why does Adelaide run to the airplane in chapter 1? How does this decision affect the children?
10. Describe Mary's one attempt at romance.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)