|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the damaged tree?
(a) It contracts blight.
(b) It blows over in a storm.
(c) It bears fruit the following spring.
(d) It gets cut down.
2. Who is in the bar that Sita enters at the end of chapter 5?
(d) Russell Kashpaw.
3. About whom does Karl fantasize in chapter 3?
(a) His mother.
(c) Giles Saint Ambrose.
4. What does Karl's rescuer use to hear trains?
(a) A dog.
(c) A special boot attachment.
(d) A hearing aid.
5. What kind of shop does the aunt own?
(a) Butcher shop.
(b) Fabric shop.
(c) Hardware store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the police officer mentioned in chapter 6?
2. What product is Karl selling in the beginning of chapter 6?
3. What city does Sita visit in chapter 5?
4. What vehicle does Mary drive to Sita's restaurant opening?
5. What is mentioned as a WPA project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chez Sita.
2. Describe Wallace Pfef's vision for the sugar beet, as described in chapter 6?
3. Why does Martin Miller keep Mary's baby brother?
4. How does Karl act when he meets Jude Miller? Why?
5. In "The Branch," why do the children come to Argus?
6. In chapter 5, why does Catherine Miller write to Sita? How does Sita respond?
7. Describe the appearance of Omar and Adelaide at the end of chapter 3.
8. Why does Karl hurt himself jumping on the bed in chapter 6?
9. Describe the appearance of the pawn shop and the objects Sita buys there in chapter 5.
10. Describe the children's experience on the train in "The Branch."
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)