|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Miriam when she breaks into the house through the garage door?
2. What word does Eliza spell wrong at the spelling bee contest at the end of the book?
3. Why does Saul want the family to dine together in this section?
4. What does Aaron consider joining in this section?
5. What is Eliza watching on TV when she comes to the realization her father is right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 3
Why is winning the spelling bee so important to Eliza? How does it change her life? In what way and why does this change prove not to completely positive? What do these changes express competition and academic pursuit?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)