|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the national spelling bee take place?
2. Who does Saul's roommate at Baruch Yeshiva declare himself to be to the college dean?
3. Why does the smell of the old lady in the synagogue go everywhere?
4. What was the first item Miriam stole?
5. What does Aaron say he has not felt in his three years since his Bar Mitzvah?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eliza feel about the picture of her family in the newspaper?
2. What does Mariam look like when she comes down for dinner?
3. What does the word perfectimundo symbolize?
4. When does Miriam first discover the word perfectimundo?
5. How does Miriam make it easier for herself to steal things?
6. How does Eliza react when Miriam gives her a blouse to wear at the spelling contest?
7. How does Saul react to Eliza winning the first spelling bee contest?
8. What problems are starting to occur in Miriam and Saul's marriage?
9. What is Aaron's initial opinion of the Hare Krishna religion?
10. How does Saul react when he finds out Aaron has joined the Hare Krishnas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the context of the story, what does the word perfectimundo symbolize? Why does the author use a slang type word to symbolize this?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Miriam feel the need to steal? How is her need connected to her childhood? How is her stealing affecting her life?
Essay Topic 3
How does his parents withholding his Jewish identity affect Saul in his later life? Why do did his parents withhold their true identity from him? How different would his character have been if he knew his Jewish identity?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)