|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Miriam seem electric?
(a) Her pointed ears.
(b) Her long tongue.
(c) Her silver hair.
(d) Her blue eyes.
2. Which of Saul's suggestions start to frustrate Eliza during the competition?
(a) Touch the letters before you speak them.
(b) Always smile at the judge before you answer.
(c) Let the letters show you where to go.
(d) Answer immediately and without thinking.
3. What was Saul Naumann original surname?
4. What word does Miriam first discover as a child?
5. What does Dr. Morris' office window look out onto?
(a) A lake.
(b) The city center.
(c) The school playing fields.
(d) The school playground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which do of the following words does Eliza have to spell in the spelling competition Ms. Rai presides over?
2. What word does Eliza have to spell in round seven of the spelling contest?
3. Who does the author describe as a tree trunk of a man?
4. What does the spelling bee registrar ask Eliza for?
5. What did Aaron see when he was eight years old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time Aaron claims he first saw God?
2. Describe Saul's relationship with his children at the beginning of this book?
3. Why is the kaleidoscope so important to Miriam?
4. What does Eliza begin fantacizing about in this section?
5. How does Aaron's relationship with his father change after Eliza wins the spelling Bee contest?
6. How does Eliza and her family react to losing the spelling contest?
7. What does Saul's study represent in context to the story?
8. What does Mariam look like when she comes down for dinner?
9. What problems are starting to occur in Miriam and Saul's marriage?
10. Describe Aaron and Eliza's relationship?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)