|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul gets into what dangerous situation in France?
2. How does Paul reach the Provence?
3. How does Paul's relationship with his mother progress over time?
4. Why does Paul head to Monaco?
5. What does Paul tell anyone for the first time during his autobiographical reading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Greg to the way Paul was when he was in high school.
2. Paul describes walking away as important in interior decorating. Why is it important to be able to walk away? How is this the life of the high Bohemian? How does this match Paul's personality?
3. How does Paul react to Bill's death?
4. Paul goes to see "Boys in the Band." What is his reaction to the movie and the surroundings in which he sees the movie?
5. How does Paul respond to his first attempt at therapy?
6. Paul is exonerated of the accusations laid by Greg. What are some benefits and disadvantages to this?
7. What is Cantwell's theory on why Paul seeks approval? How does Paul feel about it?
8. Why does Paul relate to Coward's work Song at Twilight?
9. As Paul starts up various relationships during his time of therapy, how does his whirlwind of affairs end?
10. How does Yale fit into the 60's counterculture? How does Paul fit into the counter-culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Paul writes his autobiography he accentuates certain ideas and words by capitalizing or italicizing them. Find examples from the book where he does this and explain the significance of the accentuation. Example are capitalizing "Experience" and "Brothers" or italicizing the word "Nothing." When does he feel the need to capitalize and italicize? How does it affect the reader's feelings as they read it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Paul's relationship with his father and compare it to Bobby's relationship with their father. What bonds does BIg Paul have with the boys? In what way? Does one relationship seem stronger than the other? How so? How does it come to be this way?
Essay Topic 3
Paul refers to occurrences that relates to his brother Bobby throughout the book. Based on Paul's writings, describe Paul's relationship with Bobby. What kind of a big brother is Paul to Bobby? Provide examples from the book.
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)