|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paul view Sean and Jake?
2. What nice thing does Gus and Abbot do?
3. How is Paul's spring break somewhat saved as his friends leave him for girls?
4. In order to forgive, Monette must learn to do what first?
5. What opportunity does Paul see in Elihu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the student population of Philips with the public schools Paul attends in Andover.
2. Even after befriending gays in the theatre troupe why does Paul feel the need to continue to stay in the closet?
3. Although Paul admires Cody, how is this relationship yet again one-sided? How does Paul place greater importance on popularity than friendship?
4. Compare and contrast how Alex and Paul handle being gay in Andover. What consequences are there for each of them?
5. Describe Andover, MA as Monette grows up. How does Paul's childhood neighborhood affect his decision to not come out with his sexual orientation?
6. As Paul plays as child, what causes an argument between his mother and father? How does each of them feel about Paul's playing habits?
7. What three things are against Paul when he enters Philips Academy? How does it tag him as a "loser" from the beginning?
8. Describe the atmosphere at Philips Academy. Include brief history, the students who attend, the faculty and staff, and school norms.
9. Why is poetry a great escape for Paul?
10. Describe Paul's religious education and background. What are his personal feelings about it? What particular memory does he mention that shows how he feels about God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Paul as a high school teacher to Paul's high school teachers from Philips Academy. What does Paul observe of the teachers at Philips Academy that he himself does when he is older? How does he become one of them?
Essay Topic 2
Write about the different ways Paul and other gays in the book cope with their sexual preference. Do more hide it or are there more gay men who feel comfortable showing their real selves? Does it matter where the person is raised? Does it matter what age? Consider Raf, Lonnie, Alex, Paul, Doug, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the different theories Paul Monette mentions in regards to homosexuality. What do the essentialists believe? What do the constructivists believe? What is the anti-theory? Which theory does Paul follow and why?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)