|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gus and Abbot's relationship with the Monette family?
2. Who does Monette compare gays' plight to?
3. From the following, what opportunity does Paul get from Yale?
4. According to Paul, what is taught rather than innate?
5. What does Paul realize about Lonnie years after their encounter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paul relate to Jarrel's poem "The Woman at the Washington Zoo?"
2. Describe the atmosphere at Philips Academy. Include brief history, the students who attend, the faculty and staff, and school norms.
3. How does Paul's dating affect him and everyone else around him as well?
4. Describe Bobby's character and how he manages his medical condition. How does Paul feel about Bobby and his capabilities?
5. What happens by the end of 8th grade that makes Paul more determined to hide his homosexuality? What is Paul's reaction to this event?
6. Why does Paul apply for Philips Academy? What does he hope for at a new high school with different people?
7. Compare and contrast Paul and Kite's relationship to Paul and Richie's relationship.
8. What are Monette's two childhood memories before age six? In hindsight, what do these memories indicate to Paul Monette as an adult?
9. In reference to Bobby and his father's relationship, Paul quotes "Let them be the male-bonded unit." Why does Paul italicize "them" in this statement? Where else in Chapter 1 is this italicizes reference seen? What does this indicate about how Paul really feels?
10. Why does Paul consider his parents brave? What shows that his parents are different from other parents in Andover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul refers to occurrences that relates to his brother Bobby throughout the book. Based on Paul's writings, describe Paul's relationship with Bobby. What kind of a big brother is Paul to Bobby? Provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Paul as a high school teacher to Paul's high school teachers from Philips Academy. What does Paul observe of the teachers at Philips Academy that he himself does when he is older? How does he become one of them?
Essay Topic 3
Paul meets many people in his life as he searches his way out of the closet. Even before Roger, there are glimpses of hope and encouragement from his friends and people in his lives. Write about the people in Paul's life that inspire him to come out of the closet. How do they encourage him to be true to himself? Even if they are not the ones to ultimately get him out of the closet, how do they bring him closer to coming out safely?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)