|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul feel about his trials with women?
(a) It is demeaning.
(b) It is necessary.
(c) It is useless.
(d) It is shameful.
2. What does Paul imagine himself to be if he is to never come out of the closet?
(a) A damned fool.
(b) A depressed poet.
(c) A lonely schoolteacher.
(d) An old man like Raf.
3. Bobby asks Paul if he is sleeping with Alida. Of the following, which best matches the answer Paul replies to Bobby?
(a) "Why would I, she's a woman."
(b) "Of course."
(c) "My penis doesn't work."
(d) "I've tried, but she won't have me."
4. Those who wait to love as long as Paul come to what possible endings?
(a) A cynic or a mascot of hope.
(b) A dead end coward or a bomb ready to explode.
(c) A dry prune or the symbol of persistence.
(d) A sentamentalist or die of disillusion.
5. What does Paul do to keep himself away from Greg?
(a) Start another sexual relationship.
(b) Pay more attention to the other boys.
(c) No longer allow the boys to hang out in his room.
(d) Stay in the library and avoid the dorms until late hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul meet to travel Italy?
2. What does Paul experience for the first time in Cambridge?
3. In the years immediately after college, what ideal picture does Paul go searching for in his life?
4. How does Paul mask parts of his autobiography?
5. Paul maintains a tie with Philips Academy in what manner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paul's life situation in the immediate year post-college? How does he feel about his situation? How do his parents feel about the situation?
2. Paul has a dream that his penis unscrews likes a light bulb and he is unable to get it back on. How does this sum up Paul's life at the time?
3. On what note does Paul's first year at Canton end? How is it another example of the patterns in his life?
4. What Experience is Paul looking for in Europe? What are some examples of his Experience?
5. What is it that Paul likes so much about his travels in Europe? How does his time there allow him to be freer than he has ever been?
6. Paul is exonerated of the accusations laid by Greg. What are some benefits and disadvantages to this?
7. What moment does Paul recall on the beach one December day as he skips stones? Why is this memory important?
8. What moment does Paul finally get that is comparable to the Andover jocks that tease Mr. Nindle? How does Paul react to it?
9. What "new suit for the emperor" does Paul try out in his new life at Canton?
10. How does Paul view his autobiographical reading? What does he get from it?
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)