|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Monette feel about his childhood as he remembers his past?
(a) As if it all just happened yesterday.
(b) It is like somebody else and not really him.
(c) They are sadder than he first remembers.
(d) They are happier than he first remembers.
2. What causes Paul to feel guilty about his relationship with Kite?
(a) He feels he let his father down.
(b) He feels he let Joyce down.
(c) He feels he let Toby down.
(d) He feels he let Bobby down.
3. What makes Paul feel guilty for his acceptance to the three Ivy League schools he applies to?
(a) Bobby's inability to even have a chance to apply.
(b) His taking a space away from a Dionysus.
(c) Roger's lack of acceptance.
(d) He lied on his application.
4. According to Paul, what is the only dirty book he has ever read?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Where the Sidewalk Ends.
(d) Home and Gardens.
5. What is Paul's biggest relief by graduation day?
(a) He passes as straight throughout high school.
(b) This is his chance to reveal the truth to everyone.
(c) He is able to leave Andover soon.
(d) He goes through high school without ever being beaten up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nice thing does Gus and Abbot do?
2. From the following, what opportunity does Paul get from Yale?
3. Whom does Paul call the "deviants?"
4. How old is Paul when he is first introduced to sexual experiences?
5. How is Paul received when he returns home over his first Christmas break from Yale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Paul's religious education and background. What are his personal feelings about it? What particular memory does he mention that shows how he feels about God?
2. Compare and contrast Paul and Kite's relationship to Paul and Richie's relationship.
3. Describe Jackie and Big Paul's reaction to Paul's magazine collection.
4. Find three words to describe Paul's high school years. Refer to examples.
5. What are Monette's two childhood memories before age six? In hindsight, what do these memories indicate to Paul Monette as an adult?
6. Why is poetry a great escape for Paul?
7. Describe Paul's social life in 7th grade. What does he do to make and keep friends?
8. What three things are against Paul when he enters Philips Academy? How does it tag him as a "loser" from the beginning?
9. How is the Andover Spa a good place for Paul?
10. Describe Bobby's character and how he manages his medical condition. How does Paul feel about Bobby and his capabilities?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)