|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Paul to feel wrong about his actions with Kite?
(a) The way Toby responds when Paul tells him.
(b) Something inside.
(c) Kite tells him he must keep it a secret.
(d) Jackie's questioning.
2. How is Paul received when he returns home over his first Christmas break from Yale?
(a) None of his friends even notice.
(b) Everyone is proud and brags about his Yale status.
(c) His father feels Paul is growing up to be a man.
(d) Bobby is excited to hear about college from his older brother.
3. Where does Paul meet many other closet gays?
(a) Amongst the arhitect majors.
(b) In theatre group.
(c) Ballroom dance group.
(d) In the arts department.
4. How does Paul feel about leaving Andover?
(a) Sad he will be leaving his friends.
(b) Fearful and does not want to leave.
(c) Excited to leave as soon as possible.
(d) He knows it will be a one way trip out.
5. While in high school, what does Paul dream of becoming as an adult?
(a) An architect.
(b) A fiction writer.
(c) A screenwriter.
(d) A Broadway star.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Paul struggles with being in the closet, what does Bobby struggle with?
2. What shocking example does Paul recall that shows how the people of Andover feel about black people?
3. What does Raf mistake Paul for?
4. How does Paul Monette feel about growing up gay?
5. By what age does Paul enter therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jackie and Big Paul's reaction to Paul's magazine collection.
2. By whom and how are the Apollos revered at Philips?
3. In reference to Bobby and his father's relationship, Paul quotes "Let them be the male-bonded unit." Why does Paul italicize "them" in this statement? Where else in Chapter 1 is this italicizes reference seen? What does this indicate about how Paul really feels?
4. What does Bobby's education consist of? How does he show appreciation for the Marland sisters many years later?
5. Compare and contrast Paul and Kite's relationship to Paul and Richie's relationship.
6. How does Paul change as soon as he attends college?
7. How does Paul's dating affect him and everyone else around him as well?
8. What qualities/characteristics attracts Paul to Kite? How does his upbringing influence his attraction to Kite?
9. What are Monette's two childhood memories before age six? In hindsight, what do these memories indicate to Paul Monette as an adult?
10. Find three words to describe Paul's high school years. Refer to examples.
This section contains 1,446 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)