|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paul reach the Provence?
(a) Catches a train with another American.
(b) A crowded local bus that takes many hours from Paris.
(c) Hitchikes on a truck with some pigs.
(d) With two French ladies who see him sleeping under a cafe table.
2. All his life, Paul goes through many trials and disasters in love. How does he feel about it all?
(a) Much of it is preventable, if only he came out sooner.
(b) It is his mother's fault.
(c) It is a learning experience.
(d) It is Fate and worth the road to Roger.
3. As things get dryer in Paul's life, what does he feel he needs more of?
(a) More love.
(b) More magazines.
(c) More sessions with Cantwell.
(d) More drama.
4. Who does Paul become co-dependent on to help his self-esteem?
5. Why does Paul believe his friends encourage him to go into interior decorating?
(a) They think he is a great artist.
(b) They believe it is good for him to get away from young boys.
(c) They hope he will come out of the closet.
(d) They hope he will stop living off of them.
6. What obligation looms over Paul as he tries to figure out his life?
(a) Taking care of Bobby.
(b) Keeping his parents happy.
(c) The draft into war.
(d) His novel.
7. How does Paul feel about his relationship with Ellen?
(a) He has a nagging feeling he is faking it.
(b) He believes they are too co-dependent.
(c) He believes she is marriage material.
(d) He likes the sex but does not understand her.
8. How does Paul feel about his purpose in Cambridge?
(a) Appreciative of the opportunity.
(b) Ecstatic about it.
(d) Bored by it.
9. Why is Paul jealous of Justin?
(a) Justin gets to date Sally.
(b) Justin is open and proud to be gay.
(c) Justin is more manly.
(d) Justin is in a happy homosexual relationship.
10. As usual, who does Paul best get along with at Canton?
(a) Older men in the closet.
(c) Young boys.
(d) Older married women.
11. As soon as Paul finishes sex with the Navy man, how does he feel?
(d) As if he's on cloud nine.
12. What New Year's resolution does Paul make while in Puerto Rico?
(a) To try heterosexual relationships.
(b) To stop buying men magazines.
(c) To not run away next time someone wants him.
(d) To have sex without shame.
13. What does Paul tell anyone for the first time during his autobiographical reading?
(a) That he is gay.
(b) That he is scared of life.
(c) That he is writing a novel.
(d) About Bobby and his medical issues.
14. What opportunity does Paul get after Sutton?
(a) A free ride out to California.
(b) A writing job for a start-up magazine in California.
(c) A job at Canton Academy.
(d) Acceptance to the graduate program at Harvard.
15. What eventually happens to Greg?
(a) He moves away the following year.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He is expelled.
(d) He is drafted into the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the years immediately after college, what ideal picture does Paul go searching for in his life?
2. How does Paul advertise himself at Canton?
3. What does Paul try out at Cantwell's suggestion?
4. What bond brings Alida and Paul together?
5. Who does Paul dedicate his book of poems to?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)