|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What angers Paul as he vacations in Truro with Ellen?
(a) Ellen tells him he is not that great in bed.
(b) Ellen flirts with another man on the beach.
(c) A stranger flirts with Ellen in front of him.
(d) A stranger states Paul is gay.
2. What is Paul's class poem about?
(a) Finding happiness.
(b) His past crushes.
(c) Creating opportunities.
(d) Living a life of secrets.
3. What is special about Bill?
(a) He is the only one Paul allows to read his novel drafts.
(b) He is the only one who checks on Paul to make sure he is okay.
(c) He's the only one Paul ever loved without wanting.
(d) He's the only one Paul has ever told the truth about being gay.
4. What stops Paul from having a relationship with Harold?
(a) He finds Harold intellectually intimidating.
(b) He finds Harold too old.
(c) He keeps thinking of Ellen.
(d) He doesn't want to have sex with him.
5. What does Paul struggle to do as he swims with Francis?
(a) Not overkill his talk about Betsy to prove he is not gay.
(b) Tell Francis the truth about his sexual preference.
(c) Allow Francis to tell Paul he is gay.
(d) Not show his attraction for him.
6. As usual, who does Paul best get along with at Canton?
(a) Older married women.
(b) Young boys.
(c) Older men in the closet.
7. What bond brings Alida and Paul together?
(a) Classic literature.
(b) Search for love.
(c) Attempting to be bohemian with bourgeois privileges.
(d) Local theater.
8. What does Paul acquire in April?
(a) Bacterial pneumonia.
(c) A fellowship at Stanford.
(d) An internship at Boston University.
9. What does Cantwell tell Paul to stop doing?
(a) Living his life like a novel.
(b) Dating women.
(c) Dating men.
(d) Having one-night stands.
10. Paul surprisingly does what on Bastille Day?
(a) Have a one night stand.
(b) Attends a mass at Notre Dame.
(c) Meets a girl and makes out with her.
(d) Tells Francis the truth.
11. What does Edie encourage Paul about concerning his identity?
(a) That he is definitely a great poet.
(b) That he is definitely gay.
(c) That he is definitely straight but with feminine tendencies.
(d) That he is definitely a bisexual.
12. What does Paul like to answer when someones asks what he is doing?
(a) "Writing a novel."
(b) "Travelling the world."
(c) "Getting material."
(d) "Writing poetry."
13. What does Paul experience for the first time in Cambridge?
(a) Being invited to so many parties.
(c) Sex with a girl.
(d) Kissing another man.
14. What keeps Paul from being drafted?
(a) He claims conscientious objection.
(b) His anaphylactic allergies to bees and penicillen.
(c) He tells them he is gay.
(d) He gets excused for his work as a teacher.
15. Bobby asks Paul if he is sleeping with Alida. Of the following, which best matches the answer Paul replies to Bobby?
(a) "Of course."
(b) "My penis doesn't work."
(c) "I've tried, but she won't have me."
(d) "Why would I, she's a woman."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man from the airplane turn Paul off?
2. Who does Paul console on Tuesdays and Thursdays?
3. Where is the only place Paul feels he can hide?
4. Where does Paul meet the Navy man?
5. How does Paul feel about his trials with women?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)