|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Paul from having a relationship with Harold?
(a) He keeps thinking of Ellen.
(b) He finds Harold intellectually intimidating.
(c) He doesn't want to have sex with him.
(d) He finds Harold too old.
2. Who does Paul dedicate his book of poems to?
(a) Roger and Stevie.
(b) Alida and Ellen.
(c) Julia and César.
(d) His parents and Bobby.
3. Greg and Paul's relationship can be described as _________.
(a) A healthy relationship.
(b) Under Paul's control.
(c) Under Greg's control.
4. What impression does Paul and Alida give off when they are together?
(a) That they are a couple.
(b) He's madly in love with her but she only likes him as a friend.
(c) They are better off as friends than business partners.
(d) She's madly in love with him but he only likes her as a friend.
5. What opportunity does Paul get after Sutton?
(a) A free ride out to California.
(b) A job at Canton Academy.
(c) Acceptance to the graduate program at Harvard.
(d) A writing job for a start-up magazine in California.
6. What insecurity does Paul acquire after coming out of the closet?
(a) His body.
(b) His intellect.
(c) His inexperience compared to other gay men.
(d) His lack of pride.
7. How does Paul feel about his trials with women?
(a) It is necessary.
(b) It is useless.
(c) It is shameful.
(d) It is demeaning.
8. Paul gets into what dangerous situation in France?
(a) A bar fight with a man much bigger than he.
(b) He is mugged as he walks out of a theater.
(c) A man attempts to make Paul perform oral sex.
(d) He almost loses his plane ticket home.
9. Paul takes another chance with who by going to Georgia for a vacation?
10. All his life, Paul goes through many trials and disasters in love. How does he feel about it all?
(a) It is his mother's fault.
(b) It is a learning experience.
(c) Much of it is preventable, if only he came out sooner.
(d) It is Fate and worth the road to Roger.
11. What keeps Paul from being drafted?
(a) His anaphylactic allergies to bees and penicillen.
(b) He claims conscientious objection.
(c) He gets excused for his work as a teacher.
(d) He tells them he is gay.
12. What eventually happens to Greg?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He is drafted into the war.
(c) He moves away the following year.
(d) He is expelled.
13. What does Bobby have that makes Paul feel even more sullen about his own life?
(a) A full scholarship to college.
(b) A girlfriend.
(c) A nice car.
(d) A strong relationship with their father.
14. What is Paul's class poem about?
(a) His past crushes.
(b) Finding happiness.
(c) Creating opportunities.
(d) Living a life of secrets.
15. In the years immediately after college, what ideal picture does Paul go searching for in his life?
(a) A pat of satisfaction from his parents.
(b) A big house in California as a freelance writer.
(c) A smiling Paul in the mirror.
(d) Two men laughing in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bond brings Alida and Paul together?
2. Those who wait to love as long as Paul come to what possible endings?
3. Where is the only place Paul feels he can hide?
4. The way in which Paul goes about his quest to be heterosexual can be described as _______________.
5. How does Paul begin seeing Cantwell?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)