|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bobby have that makes Paul feel even more sullen about his own life?
(a) A strong relationship with their father.
(b) A full scholarship to college.
(c) A girlfriend.
(d) A nice car.
2. How is Pip unhealthy for Paul?
(a) Pip gives Paul herpes.
(b) Pip is even more closeted than Paul.
(c) Pip pressures Paul to come out faster than he is comfortable.
(d) Pip consistently cheats on Paul.
3. How does Paul's relationship with his mother progress over time?
(a) Jackie is angry and disappointed in Paul for his life decisions.
(b) They become closer as they understand one another more.
(c) A gap grow apart.
(d) Paul is angry at Jackie for her insistence on caring for Bobby.
4. What does Paul imagine himself to be if he is to never come out of the closet?
(a) A lonely schoolteacher.
(b) An old man like Raf.
(c) A damned fool.
(d) A depressed poet.
5. What is Paul's response to the possibility that he may one day have to take care of Bobby?
(a) He is stressed about it but will do anything for his brother.
(b) He tells his parents he refuses to give up his own life for his brother's.
(c) He starts planning how Bobby will fit into his life immediately.
(d) He believes his parents are looking to the wrong person.
6. As things get dryer in Paul's life, what does he feel he needs more of?
(a) More love.
(b) More magazines.
(c) More drama.
(d) More sessions with Cantwell.
7. What does Paul experience for the first time in Cambridge?
(a) Being invited to so many parties.
(c) Kissing another man.
(d) Sex with a girl.
8. The way in which Paul goes about his quest to be heterosexual can be described as _______________.
(a) Caring for the women he dates.
(c) Too easy.
9. According to Paul, what makes Ellen so pretty?
(a) Her mysteriousness.
(b) Her wild ways.
(c) Her laugh.
(d) Her depression.
10. What is the bond between Paul and Star's friendship?
(a) Their love for art history.
(b) There common feelings about their parents.
(c) Share of grief over Bill.
(d) Their search for a purpose in life after college.
11. What impression does Paul and Alida give off when they are together?
(a) He's madly in love with her but she only likes him as a friend.
(b) That they are a couple.
(c) They are better off as friends than business partners.
(d) She's madly in love with him but he only likes her as a friend.
12. What does Paul focus on his senior year at Yale?
(a) Helping his Elihu brothers.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Talking about writing his novel.
(d) His Tennyson thesis.
13. Whose eerie room does Paul observe by accident and does not want to become like?
(a) The Dean of Canton Academy.
(b) Miss Jameson's.
(c) The history teacher at Canton.
14. Those who wait to love as long as Paul come to what possible endings?
(a) A dry prune or the symbol of persistence.
(b) A dead end coward or a bomb ready to explode.
(c) A cynic or a mascot of hope.
(d) A sentamentalist or die of disillusion.
15. What bond brings Alida and Paul together?
(a) Classic literature.
(b) Search for love.
(c) Local theater.
(d) Attempting to be bohemian with bourgeois privileges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paul takes another chance with who by going to Georgia for a vacation?
2. What does Paul struggle to do as he swims with Francis?
3. What does Paul tell anyone for the first time during his autobiographical reading?
4. What does Paul acquire in April?
5. What New Year's resolution does Paul make while in Puerto Rico?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)