|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the patient outcome of the treatment Dr. Brass recommended?
2. What did the residents explain to the daughter of the woman suffering with terminal cancer?
3. How many hours a week did Konner work with Dr. Brass and the others on his rotation?
4. What was the treatment Dr. Brass recommended for the Pickwickian syndrome case?
5. What condition does Konner's Uncle Dave suffer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Konner's experience with Big Red?
2. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
3. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
4. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
5. How does Konner characterize Dr. Greenspan, and the controversy Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in?
6. How does Konner characterize pathology and its place in the spectrum of medical services?
7. What was unique about Konner's first week in obstetrics?
8. How does Konner describe his reasons for not practicing?
9. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
10. What condition did Konner suffer after his obstetrics rotation, and how did it make him view his experience at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)