|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were surgeons going to correct in patient Laura's laparotomy?
2. What had Dr. Suskauer been before becoming the head of obstetrics?
3. What could Konner do for Stan while Barb was suffering complications?
4. What department was Richard Harrison head of?
5. What comment about Charlotte was red-penciled off her chart?
Essay Topic 1
Describe a case in which Konner or someone else broke the hospital rules in a treatment or patient contact. What risks were associated with breaking rules, and what mechanism was there to guarantee that rules were followed? What makes it acceptable to break the rules, or depart from standard protocols of care? What do you think Konner would say is lost if doctors are not allowed to do this?
Essay Topic 2
Which person or scene exemplifies everything Konner loves about medicine? Which person or scene exemplifies everything he loathed about the medical industry? Using examples from the text, describe the scenes or character that consolidate Konner's feelings about his training.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of 'Becoming a Doctor.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)