|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts the day in the gynecology rotation?
2. What did the residents explain to the daughter of the woman suffering with terminal cancer?
3. What field did Konner study after OB/GYN?
4. What does Konner recommend for the mother who wanted midwifery?
5. What was Dr. Brass' reaction when Konner talked to her about her management style?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
2. How did Konner spend non-surgical afternoons in gynecology?
3. Describe Konner's experience assisting his friend Barbara's birth.
4. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
5. Describe the laparotomy Konner assisted in.
6. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
7. How does Konner characterize Dr. Greenspan, and the controversy Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in?
8. What was Konner's experience with Big Red?
9. How does Konner characterize pathology and its place in the spectrum of medical services?
10. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Konner's book was published in 1987, before a lot of 'gene therapies' were explored and developed. How do you think Konner would respond to the new science of genetics, which tries to explain human behavior through genetic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)