|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complications did Konner's friend Barb suffer after giving birth?
2. How does Konner say Dr. Downing responded to the woman whose sixty-five year old mother had just died?
3. How does Konner characterize the American medical industry?
4. How does Konner characterize Johann Ringler?
5. What was Harrison's specialty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize Dr. Greenspan, and the controversy Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in?
2. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
3. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
4. Describe Konner's experience assisting his friend Barbara's birth.
5. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
6. How does Konner characterize the medical experience of working in obstetrics?
7. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
8. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
9. What controversy surrounded patient Geraldine's death?
10. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of 'Becoming a Doctor.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)