|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Konner's feelings about abortion?
2. What was the treatment Dr. Brass recommended for the Pickwickian syndrome case?
3. How does Konner say Dr. Brass reacted to his work?
4. What was the topic of the article titled 'Med School, Heal Thyself'?
5. What are newborn babies assessed for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
2. How does Konner describe his reasons for not practicing?
3. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
4. What was unique about Konner's first week in obstetrics?
5. What roles does Konner describe having written 'Becoming a Doctor' from?
6. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
7. What controversy surrounded patient Geraldine's death?
8. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
9. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
10. What made John Brandt one of Konner's heroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would a medical school, or medical industry run along Konner's ideas look like? Would it be profitable? Would it be better or worse than the industry he was indoctrinated into? Does Konner offer his critiques for the purpose of designing a better system?
Essay Topic 2
Does Konner gain or lose authority by not practicing medicine, and by returning instead to anthropology? What specifically does he gain, as he criticizes and portrays the medical system? What specifically does he lose by not practicing?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor,' and to what type of reader would you recommend it ? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)