|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pickwickian syndrome?
2. What is the key cause of "R.P.T.A." (Rapidly Progressive Testicular Atrophy)?
3. Who does Konner say had a right not to be touched by medical students?
4. Where does Konner work on his non-surgical afternoons?
5. How does Konner characterize the American medical industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
2. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
3. What roles does Konner describe having written 'Becoming a Doctor' from?
4. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
5. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
6. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
7. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
8. What controversy surrounded patient Geraldine's death?
9. What condition did Konner suffer after his obstetrics rotation, and how did it make him view his experience at the hospital?
10. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Konner balance scientific medicine against humanitarian interest in his experience as a medical student? How does his balance differ from or resemble the balance other medical students strike?
Essay Topic 2
Which person or scene exemplifies everything Konner loves about medicine? Which person or scene exemplifies everything he loathed about the medical industry? Using examples from the text, describe the scenes or character that consolidate Konner's feelings about his training.
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)