|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner characterize Johann Ringler?
2. What does Konner's friend call to discuss with him?
3. What had Dr. Suskauer been before becoming the head of obstetrics?
4. How does Konner say Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in a controversy?
5. What rule prevented Konner from attending as many births as possible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What African ritual does Konner describe relative to birth?
2. What made John Brandt one of Konner's heroes?
3. What condition did Konner suffer after his obstetrics rotation, and how did it make him view his experience at the hospital?
4. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
5. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
6. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
7. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
8. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
9. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
10. What was unique about Konner's first week in obstetrics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the qualities Konner admires in the doctors he works with? How do these doctors protect these traits in the profit-driven and pressure-driven hospital environment? How do they teach Konner and the other medical students to protect the human quality of medical care?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Konner's book was published in 1987, before a lot of 'gene therapies' were explored and developed. How do you think Konner would respond to the new science of genetics, which tries to explain human behavior through genetic analysis?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)