|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result when Konner broke one of the rules about which patients he could help?
2. What comment about Charlotte was red-penciled off her chart?
3. What does Konner say African men did when their wives were in labor?
4. What does Konner wonder at, during one of his deliveries?
5. What was Harrison's specialty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made John Brandt one of Konner's heroes?
2. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
3. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
4. How does Konner characterize pathology and its place in the spectrum of medical services?
5. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
6. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
7. What controversy surrounded patient Geraldine's death?
8. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
9. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
10. How does Konner describe his reasons for not practicing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of 'Becoming a Doctor.' What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 2
How does Konner balance scientific medicine against humanitarian interest in his experience as a medical student? How does his balance differ from or resemble the balance other medical students strike?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)