|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Barb's condition by the time Konner returned to his rotation?
2. Who gave the order to have Geraldine intubated?
3. What had Konner's Uncle Dave encouraged him to consider in his decision to return to med school?
4. How does Konner say Dr. Brass reacted to his work?
5. What had Dr. Suskauer been before becoming the head of obstetrics?
Essay Topic 1
What are the different narrative threads Konner weaves throughout 'Becoming a Doctor'? One is the simple chronological experience of med school. What developments take place, and how does Konner's personality, or how do his attitudes about medicine or illness or his own identity change throughout the course of the book? Where do these themes intersect? How are they developed?
Essay Topic 2
Konner's book was published in 1987, before a lot of 'gene therapies' were explored and developed. How do you think Konner would respond to the new science of genetics, which tries to explain human behavior through genetic analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)