|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Konner's justification for not practicing medicine?
2. Where does Konner work on his non-surgical afternoons?
3. What did Konner find when he researched Sophie Hellman's case?
4. What does Konner say about Charlotte?
5. Who does Konner say had a right not to be touched by medical students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition did Konner suffer after his obstetrics rotation, and how did it make him view his experience at the hospital?
2. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
3. What does Konner say made his rounds poignant under Dr. Downing?
4. How does Konner characterize the medical experience of working in obstetrics?
5. What African ritual does Konner describe relative to birth?
6. What was unique about Konner's first week in obstetrics?
7. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
8. How did Konner spend non-surgical afternoons in gynecology?
9. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
10. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor,' and to what type of reader would you recommend it ? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 3
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)