|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the danger of the treatment Dr. Brass recommended?
2. What causes Pickwickian syndrome?
3. What field did Konner study after OB/GYN?
4. What organ did Konner remove during his first autopsy?
5. What does Konner say is a benefit of obstetrics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Konner spend non-surgical afternoons in gynecology?
2. Describe Konner's experience assisting his friend Barbara's birth.
3. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
4. Describe the laparotomy Konner assisted in.
5. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
6. How does Konner describe his reasons for not practicing?
7. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
8. What roles does Konner describe having written 'Becoming a Doctor' from?
9. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
10. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Becoming a Doctor.' What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)