|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What optimism does Konner retain in the end?
2. What does Konner say Dr. Brass criticized him for?
3. How does Konner characterize Johann Ringler?
4. What was the patient outcome of the treatment Dr. Brass recommended?
5. How long had Konner spent in Obstetrics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
2. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
3. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
4. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
5. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
6. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
7. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
8. What condition did Konner suffer after his obstetrics rotation, and how did it make him view his experience at the hospital?
9. How does Konner describe his reasons for not practicing?
10. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of 'Becoming a Doctor.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Which person or scene exemplifies everything Konner loves about medicine? Which person or scene exemplifies everything he loathed about the medical industry? Using examples from the text, describe the scenes or character that consolidate Konner's feelings about his training.
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)