|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition was Charlotte suffering?
2. What complications did Konner's friend Barb suffer after giving birth?
3. What does Konner say African men did when their wives were in labor?
4. What was Konner nominated for?
5. What was patient Laura a candidate for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
2. What was Konner's experience with Big Red?
3. Describe Konner's experience assisting his friend Barbara's birth.
4. How does Konner characterize the medical experience of working in obstetrics?
5. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
6. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
7. How does Konner characterize pathology and its place in the spectrum of medical services?
8. How does Konner describe his reasons for not practicing?
9. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
10. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Describe a case in which Konner or someone else broke the hospital rules in a treatment or patient contact. What risks were associated with breaking rules, and what mechanism was there to guarantee that rules were followed? What makes it acceptable to break the rules, or depart from standard protocols of care? What do you think Konner would say is lost if doctors are not allowed to do this?
Essay Topic 3
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)