|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Konner say had a right not to be touched by medical students?
2. How long was Konner away from the hospital for, as a result of this nomination?
3. How does Konner characterize Johann Ringler?
4. What did Konner suffer from on his trip to Galen the day after his ob/gyn rotation?
5. How does Konner characterize Dr. Brass?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
2. Describe the laparotomy Konner assisted in.
3. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
4. What was Konner's experience with Big Red?
5. How does Konner characterize Dr. Greenspan, and the controversy Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in?
6. Describe Konner's conversation with the friend who wanted to apply to med school.
7. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
8. Describe Konner's experience assisting his friend Barbara's birth.
9. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
10. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a case in which Konner or someone else broke the hospital rules in a treatment or patient contact. What risks were associated with breaking rules, and what mechanism was there to guarantee that rules were followed? What makes it acceptable to break the rules, or depart from standard protocols of care? What do you think Konner would say is lost if doctors are not allowed to do this?
Essay Topic 2
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor,' and to what type of reader would you recommend it ? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)