|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the patient outcome of the treatment Dr. Brass recommended?
2. How does Konner characterize obstetrics?
3. Where does Konner work on his non-surgical afternoons?
4. How does Konner say Dr. Downing responded to the woman whose sixty-five year old mother had just died?
5. What strategy did Dr. Greenspan advocate for learning medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize pathology and its place in the spectrum of medical services?
2. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
3. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
4. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
5. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
6. What African ritual does Konner describe relative to birth?
7. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
8. How did Konner spend non-surgical afternoons in gynecology?
9. Describe Konner's conversation with the friend who wanted to apply to med school.
10. Describe the laparotomy Konner assisted in.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 2
How would you characterize Konner's critique of the medical world? Is it too anecdotal? Is it objective? Is it credible? What solutions does he offer to the problems he describes?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor,' and to what type of reader would you recommend it ? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)