|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Konner wonder at, during one of his deliveries?
2. What was patient Laura a candidate for?
3. What gave Konner an emotional boost during his rotation with Dr. Brass?
4. What happened to Barb's condition by the time Konner returned to his rotation?
5. What is Konner's justification for not practicing medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize the medical experience of working in obstetrics?
2. How did Konner violate the rules of obstetrics under Chief Resident Caggiola?
3. What African ritual does Konner describe relative to birth?
4. What made John Brandt one of Konner's heroes?
5. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
6. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
7. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
8. What was Konner's experience with Big Red?
9. Describe Konner's conversation with the friend who wanted to apply to med school.
10. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a case in which Konner or someone else broke the hospital rules in a treatment or patient contact. What risks were associated with breaking rules, and what mechanism was there to guarantee that rules were followed? What makes it acceptable to break the rules, or depart from standard protocols of care? What do you think Konner would say is lost if doctors are not allowed to do this?
Essay Topic 2
What are the qualities Konner admires in the doctors he works with? How do these doctors protect these traits in the profit-driven and pressure-driven hospital environment? How do they teach Konner and the other medical students to protect the human quality of medical care?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)