|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Konner say Dr. Brass criticized him for?
2. What condition was Charlotte suffering?
3. What was the result when Konner broke one of the rules about which patients he could help?
4. Which point of view does Konner NOT take in his description of his time in med school?
5. What strategy did Dr. Greenspan advocate for learning medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
2. What happened when Konner confronted Dr. Brass?
3. How did Konner spend non-surgical afternoons in gynecology?
4. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
5. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
6. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
7. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
8. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
9. How did Konner and Dr. Corwin treat the patient with Pickwickian syndrome?
10. What made John Brandt one of Konner's heroes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would a medical school, or medical industry run along Konner's ideas look like? Would it be profitable? Would it be better or worse than the industry he was indoctrinated into? Does Konner offer his critiques for the purpose of designing a better system?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
How does Konner balance scientific medicine against humanitarian interest in his experience as a medical student? How does his balance differ from or resemble the balance other medical students strike?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)