|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is 'dura mater'?
2. How does Konner characterize the other medical students?
3. What procedure did Konner participate in with David Milano?
4. What did the surgeon order Konner to get rid of because it would be useless?
5. What kind of treatment was Katherine Ballard most interested in administering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Konner's experience with shock therapy?
2. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
3. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
4. How does Konner say brain disease affects a person's personality?
5. How does Konner contrast American medical diagnoses to African children's lives?
6. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
7. How does Konner characterize his medical student colleagues?
8. What is borderline syndrome?
9. What does Konner say he finds unrealistic in TV doctor dramas?
10. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Konner's book was published in 1987, before a lot of 'gene therapies' were explored and developed. How do you think Konner would respond to the new science of genetics, which tries to explain human behavior through genetic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)