|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Petey begun to do at age seventeen?
2. What is 'bagging' a patient?
3. How does Konner characterize Freddy Robertson?
4. What distinguished Peter Byron's patient care?
5. How did Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Konner say he finds unrealistic in TV doctor dramas?
2. What was Konner's experience in Africa, and what is its relation to Konner's current studies?
3. What was the controversy around the patient Ruskin operated on?
4. What was Konner's experience with shock therapy?
5. What was Konner's experience working with Dr. Haley in pediatric outpatient services?
6. Describe the process of scrubbing in.
7. What is borderline syndrome?
8. What are Konner's feelings about surgery?
9. How does Konner say brain disease affects a person's personality?
10. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 2
What would a medical school, or medical industry run along Konner's ideas look like? Would it be profitable? Would it be better or worse than the industry he was indoctrinated into? Does Konner offer his critiques for the purpose of designing a better system?
Essay Topic 3
Does Konner gain or lose authority by not practicing medicine, and by returning instead to anthropology? What specifically does he gain, as he criticizes and portrays the medical system? What specifically does he lose by not practicing?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)