|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner characterize Dr. Brennan's medical skills?
2. What was Konner's previous training in?
3. What was Konner convinced of, after Mike's mistake?
4. How did Dr. Feldstein make an impression on Konner?
5. What interest did Konner's medical training have in common with his previous training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Konner's experience working with Dr. Haley in pediatric outpatient services?
2. How would you describe Konner's tone and language in the opening anecdote?
3. How does Konner characterize his medical student colleagues?
4. Describe Konner's first neurological examination.
5. What was Konner's second experience in anesthesiology like?
6. How does Konner say brain disease affects a person's personality?
7. What lesson does Konner say he learned from John Williams?
8. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
9. How does Konner describe his first experience anesthetizing a patient?
10. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)