|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the four laws of medicine?
2. What is 'dura mater'?
3. What behavior of John Williams' embarrassed Konner?
4. How did Dr. Feldstein make an impression on Konner?
5. What did Dr. Brennan take from Gerald Edwards' body during surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner say that he dealt with Bigelow, the street person?
2. Describe the process of scrubbing in.
3. Describe Konner's first neurological examination.
4. What was Konner's experience with shock therapy?
5. How does Konner describe his first experience anesthetizing a patient?
6. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
7. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
8. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
9. How would you describe Konner's tone and language in the opening anecdote?
10. What was Konner's experience in Africa, and what is its relation to Konner's current studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Konner's book was published in 1987, before a lot of 'gene therapies' were explored and developed. How do you think Konner would respond to the new science of genetics, which tries to explain human behavior through genetic analysis?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)