|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Konner say is typical of brain disease?
2. How long is a rotation?
3. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
4. Which is NOT one of the four laws of medicine?
5. How long does Konner say it took for the motorcycle accident victim to recover enough to be transferred to O.R.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
2. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
3. How does Konner characterize the anesthesiologist's job?
4. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
5. How does Konner say that he dealt with Bigelow, the street person?
6. How would you describe Konner's tone and language in the opening anecdote?
7. Describe Konner's first neurological examination.
8. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
9. How does Konner characterize Howard Cullen's condition?
10. Describe Konner's first 'Saturday Night Knife and Gun Club'.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the true lesson Konner learns during his residency? Is it a medical lesson, or a life lesson? A style of writing he acquired, or a set of
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of 'Becoming a Doctor.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)