|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the immigrant neurosurgeon's rule, when Konner makes rounds with him?
2. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
3. How does Konner say anesthesiologists view surgeons?
4. How does Konner say he reacts to this split between methodologies?
5. What interest did Konner's medical training have in common with his previous training?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Konner's conversation with the friend who wanted to apply to med school.
2. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
3. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
4. What was Konner's experience in Africa, and what is its relation to Konner's current studies?
5. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
6. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
7. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
8. How does Konner say that he dealt with Bigelow, the street person?
9. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
10. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
Essay Topic 1
What is it about Konner's writing that makes it so funny? What expectations is he playing upon? How would you characterize his humor? Light? Dark? Cynical? What feelings is humor meant to help him cope with/avoid/mitigate?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize Konner's critique of the medical world? Is it too anecdotal? Is it objective? Is it credible? What solutions does he offer to the problems he describes?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)