|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues?
2. Who confirmed the nurse-anesthesiologist's concern that a patient not be released immediately after surgery?
3. What was Konner's experience in Africa?
4. Why was Konner distressed by the first part of the National Medical Board Examinations?
5. Why did pediatrics appeal to Konner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
2. What was the controversy around the patient Ruskin operated on?
3. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
4. What was Konner's experience with shock therapy?
5. How would you describe Konner's tone and language in the opening anecdote?
6. What are Konner's feelings about surgery?
7. Describe Konner's first 'Saturday Night Knife and Gun Club'.
8. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
9. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
10. How does Konner contrast American medical diagnoses to African children's lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor,' and to what type of reader would you recommend it ? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Konner's book was published in 1987, before a lot of 'gene therapies' were explored and developed. How do you think Konner would respond to the new science of genetics, which tries to explain human behavior through genetic analysis?
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate your own reading of 'Becoming a Doctor.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)