|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Howard Cullen's diagnosis?
2. Who did students meet with during initial basic clinical skills class?
3. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
4. What does Konner say he tried to hide from the woman on whom he had to perform a neurological exam?
5. How does Konner say he reacts to this split between methodologies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake was made during gall bladder surgery on an obese woman, and what conclusion did this lead Konner to make?
2. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
3. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
4. How does Konner characterize his medical student colleagues?
5. What explanation does Konner give for why he wrote this book?
6. How does Konner characterize Howard Cullen's condition?
7. What was Edwards' condition after surgery?
8. How would you describe Konner's tone and language in the opening anecdote?
9. How does Konner say brain disease affects a person's personality?
10. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Konner balance scientific medicine against humanitarian interest in his experience as a medical student? How does his balance differ from or resemble the balance other medical students strike?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor'? For what purposes would you recommend 'Becoming a Doctor,' and to what type of reader would you recommend it ? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)