|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Konner distressed by the first part of the National Medical Board Examinations?
2. For what did John Williams set records?
3. What does a retractor do?
4. What was Freddy Robertson's role in the procedures that were performed?
5. What criticism does Konner make of the surgery that went on for three hours?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is borderline syndrome?
2. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
3. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
4. How does Konner say brain disease affects a person's personality?
5. What mistake was made during gall bladder surgery on an obese woman, and what conclusion did this lead Konner to make?
6. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
7. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
8. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
9. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
10. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about Konner's writing that makes it so funny? What expectations is he playing upon? How would you characterize his humor? Light? Dark? Cynical? What feelings is humor meant to help him cope with/avoid/mitigate?
Essay Topic 2
What would a medical school, or medical industry run along Konner's ideas look like? Would it be profitable? Would it be better or worse than the industry he was indoctrinated into? Does Konner offer his critiques for the purpose of designing a better system?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize Konner's critique of the medical world? Is it too anecdotal? Is it objective? Is it credible? What solutions does he offer to the problems he describes?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)