|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Konner distressed by the first part of the National Medical Board Examinations?
2. When was 'Becoming a Doctor' published?
3. What did interns do after rounds?
4. What was Konner's Uncle Bobby's role in Konner's life?
5. What did patient Edwards regain after surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
2. What was the controversy around the patient Ruskin operated on?
3. How does Konner describe his first experience anesthetizing a patient?
4. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
5. How does Konner say that he dealt with Bigelow, the street person?
6. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
7. Describe the process of scrubbing in.
8. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
9. What explanation does Konner give for why he wrote this book?
10. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 3
What are the qualities Konner admires in the doctors he works with? How do these doctors protect these traits in the profit-driven and pressure-driven hospital environment? How do they teach Konner and the other medical students to protect the human quality of medical care?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)