|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criticism does Konner make of the surgery that went on for three hours?
2. What was patient Petey's diagnosis?
3. What had Konner been before starting med school?
4. What is 'bagging' a patient?
5. For how long has Konner wanted to study medicine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
2. What was Konner's experience working with Dr. Haley in pediatric outpatient services?
3. What are Konner's feelings about surgery?
4. What does Konner say he finds unrealistic in TV doctor dramas?
5. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
6. Describe the process of scrubbing in.
7. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
8. What was Konner's experience with shock therapy?
9. What was Konner's second experience in anesthesiology like?
10. What mistake was made during gall bladder surgery on an obese woman, and what conclusion did this lead Konner to make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you characterize Konner's critique of the medical world? Is it too anecdotal? Is it objective? Is it credible? What solutions does he offer to the problems he describes?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Becoming a Doctor.' What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
What is it about Konner's writing that makes it so funny? What expectations is he playing upon? How would you characterize his humor? Light? Dark? Cynical? What feelings is humor meant to help him cope with/avoid/mitigate?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)