|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner compare to the other students in his cohort?
2. What medical term does Konner use to describe his book?
3. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
4. What is the branch of psychiatric medicine that complements Freud's psychoanalysis?
5. What was Scott Lucas' role?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Edwards' condition after surgery?
2. What was Konner's second experience in anesthesiology like?
3. Describe the process of scrubbing in.
4. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
5. How does Konner characterize Howard Cullen's condition?
6. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
7. Describe Konner's first neurological examination.
8. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
9. What is borderline syndrome?
10. What was the controversy around the patient Ruskin operated on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Does Konner gain or lose authority by not practicing medicine, and by returning instead to anthropology? What specifically does he gain, as he criticizes and portrays the medical system? What specifically does he lose by not practicing?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)