|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the immigrant neurosurgeon's rule, when Konner makes rounds with him?
2. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
3. How does Konner say anesthesiologists view surgeons?
4. How does Konner say he reacts to this split between methodologies?
5. What interest did Konner's medical training have in common with his previous training?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Konner's conversation with the friend who wanted to apply to med school.
2. What was Charlotte's ultimate outcome?
3. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
4. What was Konner's experience in Africa, and what is its relation to Konner's current studies?
5. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
6. How did Konner disagree with Charlotte's doctor's treatment plan?
7. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
8. How does Konner say that he dealt with Bigelow, the street person?
9. Who was Konner's first patient in gynecology?
10. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
Essay Topic 1
Konner feels conflicted between psychoanalysis and psycho-pharmacology approaches to psychiatric treatment. How does he resolve this conflict within himself? What other conflicts does he feel, and how does he resolve them? Choose one and describe the reason for Konner's sense of self-conflict, as well as his method of resolving the conflict for himself.
Essay Topic 2
Does Konner gain or lose authority by not practicing medicine, and by returning instead to anthropology? What specifically does he gain, as he criticizes and portrays the medical system? What specifically does he lose by not practicing?
Essay Topic 3
What would a medical school, or medical industry run along Konner's ideas look like? Would it be profitable? Would it be better or worse than the industry he was indoctrinated into? Does Konner offer his critiques for the purpose of designing a better system?
This section contains 1,469 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)