|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does asepsis mean?
2. What outcome has Dr. Burdick tried to prevent in his practice?
3. For what did John Williams set records?
4. What specialty does Konner decide to follow?
5. What had happened to the woman who was rolled into the ER?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
2. How does Konner contrast American medical diagnoses to African children's lives?
3. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
4. Describe Konner's first neurological examination.
5. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
6. How does Konner characterize Howard Cullen's condition?
7. What was Edwards' condition after surgery?
8. What was Konner's experience working with Dr. Haley in pediatric outpatient services?
9. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
10. What are Konner's feelings about surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What emotionally difficult experiences does he learn to handle, in his time in med school? What are his coping mechanisms? How does he deal, for instance, with the desire for profit among doctors and insurance companies? How does he deal with the bureaucratic complications in getting patients cared for? How does he deal with the problems of other people's personalities, and authorities?
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate your own reading of 'Becoming a Doctor.' Did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Konner feels conflicted between psychoanalysis and psycho-pharmacology approaches to psychiatric treatment. How does he resolve this conflict within himself? What other conflicts does he feel, and how does he resolve them? Choose one and describe the reason for Konner's sense of self-conflict, as well as his method of resolving the conflict for himself.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)