|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner characterize Dr. Brennan's medical skills?
2. What is the prognosis for the patients Konner sees under Dr. Burdick?
3. What is intubation?
4. What is the branch of psychiatric medicine that complements Freud's psychoanalysis?
5. How long is a rotation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Konner's feelings about surgery?
2. What was Konner's experience in Africa, and what is its relation to Konner's current studies?
3. How does Konner contrast American medical diagnoses to African children's lives?
4. What was Edwards' condition after surgery?
5. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
6. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
7. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
8. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
9. What was the controversy around the patient Ruskin operated on?
10. What does Konner say he finds unrealistic in TV doctor dramas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of 'Becoming a Doctor.' What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
What effect did medical training have on Konner as a man outside of medical training? How did his training affect his marriage and his family? What were his wife's views on his training? What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping his personal life out of the book?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)