|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Konner say Dr. Downing responded to the woman whose sixty-five year old mother had just died?
(a) Deep personal concern.
(d) No sympathy.
2. What does Konner say about Charlotte?
(a) She inspired him to write about his experiences.
(b) She dominated his last six weeks in his third year.
(c) Her case convinced him to get out of medicine.
(d) She gave him a reason to continue practicing medicine.
3. How does Konner characterize obstetrics?
(a) An artificial intrusion of Western medicine into human life.
(b) An emergency situation that usually has a good outcome.
(c) A nervous situation of waiting to see whether a birth will even require medical care.
(d) A horrifying spectacle of women in intense pain.
4. What part of child birth didn't Konner like?
(a) The sterile hospital environment.
(b) The fathers' sympathetic sufferings.
(c) The women's pain.
(d) The doctors' arrogance.
5. What does Konner say is the typical method of childbirth in the U.S.?
(b) Heavily sedated.
(c) Fully-conscious, without drugs.
(d) Full-conscious with pain drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave the order to have Geraldine intubated?
2. What kind of approach did Dr. Harrison rule out for Charlotte?
3. What was Konner nominated for?
4. Who does Konner say had a right not to be touched by medical students?
5. Where does Konner work on his non-surgical afternoons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What controversy surrounded patient Geraldine's death?
2. What was unique about Konner's first week in obstetrics?
3. How does Konner characterize Dr. Greenspan, and the controversy Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in?
4. How does Konner characterize the medical experience of working in obstetrics?
5. How did Konner spend non-surgical afternoons in gynecology?
6. What condition was patient Charlotte suffering from?
7. Describe Konner's last elective rotation.
8. What African ritual does Konner describe relative to birth?
9. What is RPTA, and how did it affect Konner?
10. Describe Konner's experience assisting his friend Barbara's birth.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)