|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Pickwickian syndrome?
(b) Thyroid imbalance.
(c) Traumatic experiences.
(d) Brain degeneration.
2. What rule prevented Konner from attending as many births as possible?
(a) The development of private birthing centers.
(b) Medical students were prevented from late stage deliveries.
(c) The hospital was not well equipped for obstetrics, and patients went elsewhere.
(d) An increasing focus on providing birthing mothers with privacy and familiar doctors.
3. What had Konner's Uncle Dave encouraged him to consider in his decision to return to med school?
(a) His family.
(b) His religion.
(c) His anthropological background.
(d) His income.
4. What strategy did Dr. Greenspan advocate for learning medicine?
(a) A trial and error approach.
(b) A community of experts sharing diagnoses approach.
(c) Taking a case by case approach.
(d) An exhaustive encyclopedic approach.
5. What optimism does Konner retain in the end?
(a) Human beings will be good to one another.
(b) Patients will heal themselves.
(c) Even an incompetent doctor is better than no doctor at all.
(d) Healing is possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner say Dr. Downing responded to the woman whose sixty-five year old mother had just died?
2. What is Konner's justification for not practicing medicine?
3. How does Konner characterize Lily Corwin?
4. What does Konner say made his rounds poignant when he was working with Dr. Downing?
5. What did Konner deliver twice, in his first week?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition did Konner suffer after his obstetrics rotation, and how did it make him view his experience at the hospital?
2. What was Konner's experience with Big Red?
3. What roles does Konner describe having written 'Becoming a Doctor' from?
4. What does Konner say Dr. Suskauer recommended for delivering babies?
5. What does the mnemonic "Every Damn Fool In Egypt Eats Eggs" stand for?
6. What was unique about Konner's first week in obstetrics?
7. How does Konner characterize Dr. Sally Brass?
8. What made John Brandt one of Konner's heroes?
9. How does Konner characterize pathology and its place in the spectrum of medical services?
10. What controversy surrounded patient Geraldine's death?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)