|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Konner characterize surgeons?
(a) Men who thrive on stress.
(b) Men who wanted to help people.
(c) Men who enjoyed making snap decisions.
(d) Men who thrive on problem solving.
2. Who does Konner say benefits from drugs for childhood hyperactivity?
(a) Drug companies.
3. How many medical students was Konner grouped with for his rotation in psychiatry?
4. What insight did Konner get over his break?
(a) He was sick, and saw illness from the patient's perspective.
(b) His father was sick, and he saw the hospital through his eyes.
(c) He traveled, and knew what it was like to be out of his element.
(d) He had heartburn, and saw that drugs fixed it immediately.
5. What does Konner say the younger students do not have, which older students do?
(a) Political connections.
(d) Technical expertise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is 'bagging' a patient?
2. What was Konner's experience in Africa?
3. What does Konner say Dr. Ruskin bragged about having spent the weekend doing?
4. For how long has Konner wanted to study medicine?
5. What does asepsis mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Konner's reasons fro becoming a doctor?
2. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
3. What was Konner's experience working with Dr. Haley in pediatric outpatient services?
4. What is borderline syndrome?
5. How does Konner contrast American medical diagnoses to African children's lives?
6. What was Konner's second experience in anesthesiology like?
7. How does Konner describe his first experience anesthetizing a patient?
8. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
9. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
10. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)