|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision does Konner reaffirm during his visit with family?
(a) Not to be a surgeon.
(b) Not to practice medicine.
(c) To write an expose about his time in med school.
(d) To publish an anthropological piece on his time in med school.
2. What kinds of experiences prevent medical students from looking forward to initial encounters with patients?
(a) Prior experience as a nurse or volunteer.
(c) Car accidents.
(d) Severe illnesses.
3. At what age did Konner begin his first rotation?
4. What is intubation?
(a) Placing a breathing tube into a patient's throat.
(b) Placing a tube into a patient's ear.
(c) Placing a tube for intravenous fluids into a patient's arm.
(d) Placing a tube into a patient's bladder.
5. Why did pediatrics appeal to Konner?
(a) It gave him more room to be aloof and scientific in his observations.
(b) Children had an easier time regaining their health after illness.
(c) It resembled his research on African children.
(d) It let him laugh more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is 'dura mater'?
2. How does Konner characterize shock therapy?
3. How does Konner characterize Dr. Ringler?
4. What procedure did Konner participate in with David Milano?
5. What kinds of cases is Katherine Ballard interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize the anesthesiologist's job?
2. What lesson does Konner say he learned from John Williams?
3. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
4. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
5. Describe the process of scrubbing in.
6. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
7. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
8. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
9. What was Edwards' condition after surgery?
10. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)