|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specialty does Konner decide to follow?
(c) Medical psychiatry.
2. What outcome has Dr. Burdick tried to prevent in his practice?
(a) Letting patients bounce around between different wards and hospitals.
(b) Discharging patients to mental hospitals.
(c) Returning patients to the general public.
(d) Keeping patients in the hospital indefinitely.
3. What behavior of John Williams' embarrassed Konner?
(a) He callously described a patient's discomfort to a group of interns.
(b) He was known to have affairs with the staff.
(c) He walked away from a patient's question.
(d) He told a patient abruptly that they only had a few months to live.
4. How did Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues?
(a) By making the wrong diagnosis of a patient's symptoms.
(b) By taking inflexible opinions in an argument.
(c) By refusing to consult with experts about a patient's case.
(d) By being caught harassing a nurse.
5. What was Konner's Uncle Bobby's role in Konner's life?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner compare to the other students in his cohort?
2. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
3. When did walk-rounds begin in the Emergency Ward?
4. How many medical students was Konner grouped with for his rotation in psychiatry?
5. What kind of surgery did Konner watch Dr. Ruskin perform?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize Howard Cullen's condition?
2. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
3. What mistake was made during gall bladder surgery on an obese woman, and what conclusion did this lead Konner to make?
4. How does Konner describe his first experience anesthetizing a patient?
5. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
6. What does Konner say he finds unrealistic in TV doctor dramas?
7. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
8. What explanation does Konner give for why he wrote this book?
9. What was Konner's experience working with Dr. Haley in pediatric outpatient services?
10. What lesson does Konner say he learned from John Williams?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)