|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What behavior of John Williams' embarrassed Konner?
(a) He was known to have affairs with the staff.
(b) He walked away from a patient's question.
(c) He told a patient abruptly that they only had a few months to live.
(d) He callously described a patient's discomfort to a group of interns.
2. At what age did Konner begin his first rotation?
3. How did Freddy Robertson handle the woman's purple finger?
(a) By compressing the finger.
(b) By amputating it.
(c) By sawing off her ring.
(d) By lancing it and draining the blood.
4. Why did Konner's procedure with the woman with gonorrhea take five times longer than the procedure should have taken?
(a) He was confused by the woman's symptoms, and it took him longer to rule out certain complications.
(b) He was interested in the woman's story, and listened to her talk.
(c) He tried to heal her emotionally.
(d) He thought the woman's chart had been written up incorrectly.
5. What decision does Konner reaffirm during his visit with family?
(a) To write an expose about his time in med school.
(b) To publish an anthropological piece on his time in med school.
(c) Not to be a surgeon.
(d) Not to practice medicine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Konner say Dr. Ruskin bragged about having spent the weekend doing?
2. Which is NOT one of the four laws of medicine?
3. What kind of surgery did Konner watch Dr. Ruskin perform?
4. What was the nature of the first operation in which Konner participated?
5. How does Konner characterize his teachers in the basic clinical skills classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Konner say he learned from John Williams?
2. What was Edwards' condition after surgery?
3. Describe Konner's first 'Saturday Night Knife and Gun Club'.
4. What effect does Konner's opening anecdote have as a first taste of the book?
5. How does Konner characterize Howard Cullen's condition?
6. How would you describe Konner's tone and language in the opening anecdote?
7. How does Konner say that Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrassed themselves?
8. How did Konner experience the medical world on his vacation?
9. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
10. How is Konner different from the other students in his group?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)