|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of experiences prevent medical students from looking forward to initial encounters with patients?
(a) Prior experience as a nurse or volunteer.
(c) Car accidents.
(d) Severe illnesses.
2. What distinguished Peter Byron's patient care?
(a) He was gentle and non-disruptive.
(b) He went out of his way to take care of his patients and their families.
(c) He was incompetent and his heavy drinking obscured his medicine.
(d) He was brusque and aloof.
3. What was the nature of the first operation in which Konner participated?
(a) Heart surgery.
(b) Skin surgery.
(c) Brain surgery.
(d) Gall bladder surgery.
4. What crude behavior does Konner describe from a resident physician?
(a) Exposing himself to a patient.
(b) Making racist/sexist jokes with the patients.
(c) Snickering at a woman's diagnosis.
(d) Insulting the interns in front of the patients.
5. How does Konner characterize the anesthesiologist?
(a) Weak and fussy.
(b) Aggressive and combative.
(c) Irritable and judgmental.
(d) Witty and detached.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many medical students was Konner grouped with for his rotation in psychiatry?
2. How does Konner characterize his work with Dr. Haley?
3. What did the surgeon order Konner to get rid of because it would be useless?
4. What interest did Konner's medical training have in common with his previous training?
5. What had happened to the woman who was rolled into the ER?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Konner characterize the anesthesiologist's job?
2. What was Konner's second experience in anesthesiology like?
3. What was the controversy around the patient Ruskin operated on?
4. How does Konner characterize the split between theories of psychiatric medicine?
5. How does Konner characterize his medical student colleagues?
6. Describe Konner's first 'Saturday Night Knife and Gun Club'.
7. What crude resident behavior was Konner appalled by?
8. How does Konner describe his first experience anesthetizing a patient?
9. How does Konner describe Gerald Edwards' brain surgery?
10. How does Konner say med school affected him personally?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)