|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the patient outcome of the treatment Dr. Brass recommended?
(b) Additional surgery.
(c) Arm damage.
(d) The Pickwickian syndrome resolved.
2. What sense does Konner say he had as he entered his fourth and final year of med school?
(c) Starting from scratch.
3. What strategy did Dr. Greenspan advocate for learning medicine?
(a) A community of experts sharing diagnoses approach.
(b) Taking a case by case approach.
(c) An exhaustive encyclopedic approach.
(d) A trial and error approach.
4. What optimism does Konner retain in the end?
(a) Human beings will be good to one another.
(b) Patients will heal themselves.
(c) Healing is possible.
(d) Even an incompetent doctor is better than no doctor at all.
5. What does Konner recommend for the mother who wanted midwifery?
(a) He encouraged a home birth.
(b) He advocated cesarean section delivery.
(c) He recommended that a midwife birth the child in the hospital.
(d) He recommended against it.
6. What are newborn babies assessed for?
(a) Economic viability of the parents.
(b) Signs of abuse.
(d) Racial characteristics.
7. What field did Konner study after OB/GYN?
8. How does Konner say Dr. Downing responded to the woman whose sixty-five year old mother had just died?
(a) Deep personal concern.
(c) No sympathy.
9. What is Konner's justification for not practicing medicine?
(a) He is using his talents in a better way.
(b) He is giving himself to his family instead.
(c) He is saving patients from his errors.
(d) He is saving society money.
10. What condition does Konner's Uncle Dave suffer?
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Multiple sclerosis.
11. What does Konner say he brought with him as a university professor?
(a) Distrust of authority.
(b) A spiritual view of healing.
(c) Bias against science.
(d) Strong feelings about teaching methods.
12. How long was Konner away from the hospital for, as a result of this nomination?
(a) 18 hours.
(b) 36 hours.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) 48 hours.
13. How did Dr. Harrison rate Konner's performance?
(c) High pass.
(d) Near excellent.
14. What were surgeons going to correct in patient Laura's laparotomy?
(a) Complications in her pregnancy.
(b) Tumors on her ovaries.
(c) Cysts in her uterus.
(d) Adhesions on her fallopian tubes.
15. What condition gave Konner cause for concern in his friend's pregnancy?
(a) High risk of Down syndrome.
(c) Ambiguous ultrasounds.
(d) Alcoholism in the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Konner's Uncle Dave encouraged him to consider in his decision to return to med school?
2. What does Konner say African men did when their wives were in labor?
3. Why was patient Geraldine's DNR order ignored?
4. What causes Pickwickian syndrome?
5. What was Ringler's approach to his patients?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)