|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Konner's first autopsy?
(a) A mathematician.
(b) A housewife.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A professor.
2. In whose eye did Konner see a compassionate tear?
(a) A nurse's.
(b) A physician's.
(c) An intern's.
(d) A patient's.
3. How long was Konner away from the hospital for, as a result of this nomination?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) 48 hours.
(c) 18 hours.
(d) 36 hours.
4. Why was Konner's condition ironic?
(a) He had been treating all kinds of conditions, but he fell victim to a stress-induced skeletal-muscular injury.
(b) He had been telling mothers to push as if they were going to the bathroom, and now felt that same urge.
(c) He had been healthier than ever during his time in medical school, but he could not escape a common cold.
(d) He had been telling people how to live healthy lives, and his own unhealthy habits were catching up with him.
5. Whose samples had been sent to the lab Konner was working in now?
(a) Dr. Suskauer's patients.
(b) Dr. Mattingly's patients.
(c) Dr. Brennan's patients.
(d) Professor Roth's patients.
6. What does Konner say made his rounds poignant when he was working with Dr. Downing?
(a) Dr. Downing was herself sick with cancer.
(b) Three patients were terminal.
(c) The patients were children.
(d) One of the patients had been a famous singer.
7. What strategy did Dr. Greenspan advocate for learning medicine?
(a) An exhaustive encyclopedic approach.
(b) Taking a case by case approach.
(c) A community of experts sharing diagnoses approach.
(d) A trial and error approach.
8. What does Konner say is the typical method of childbirth in the U.S.?
(b) Heavily sedated.
(c) Full-conscious with pain drugs.
(d) Fully-conscious, without drugs.
9. What is the key cause of "R.P.T.A." (Rapidly Progressive Testicular Atrophy)?
10. What objection does Konner make to the training of physicians?
(a) They are taught to consider human health, but the system really teaches them to make money and get out quick.
(b) They are not generally involved in the lives of the patients they are treating.
(c) They are taught to focus on the bureaucratic profile of a case, not the human experience.
(d) They are expected to master an enormous set of shifting facts.
11. What organ did Konner remove during his first autopsy?
(a) Gall bladder.
12. What had Dr. Suskauer been before becoming the head of obstetrics?
(a) An accountant.
(b) A writer.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A teacher.
13. What does Konner say about Charlotte?
(a) Her case convinced him to get out of medicine.
(b) She dominated his last six weeks in his third year.
(c) She inspired him to write about his experiences.
(d) She gave him a reason to continue practicing medicine.
14. What caused RPTA for Konner?
(a) He misdiagnosed a patient's neurological disorder.
(b) He belittled another medical student in front of a patient.
(c) No one asked about his absence or the award.
(d) Dr. Brass humiliated him in front of other medical students.
15. What condition gave Konner cause for concern in his friend's pregnancy?
(a) Ambiguous ultrasounds.
(c) High risk of Down syndrome.
(d) Alcoholism in the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Konner work on his non-surgical afternoons?
2. What rule prevented Konner from attending as many births as possible?
3. Which point of view does Konner NOT take in his description of his time in med school?
4. What did Konner suffer from on his trip to Galen the day after his ob/gyn rotation?
5. How does Konner characterize obstetrics?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)