|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Konner's first autopsy?
(a) A professor.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A mathematician.
(d) A housewife.
2. What strategy did Dr. Greenspan advocate for learning medicine?
(a) An exhaustive encyclopedic approach.
(b) A trial and error approach.
(c) A community of experts sharing diagnoses approach.
(d) Taking a case by case approach.
3. What optimism does Konner retain in the end?
(a) Human beings will be good to one another.
(b) Patients will heal themselves.
(c) Healing is possible.
(d) Even an incompetent doctor is better than no doctor at all.
4. How does Konner say Dr. Greenspan was embroiled in a controversy?
(a) He pursued a staff member.
(b) He published others' work.
(c) He faked some research results.
(d) He defended a subordinate.
5. What sense does Konner say he had as he entered his fourth and final year of med school?
(d) Starting from scratch.
6. Who was the surgeon in the operation on patient Laura?
(a) Professor Roth.
(b) Joel Schwartzman.
(c) Dr. Suskauer.
7. What had Dr. Suskauer been before becoming the head of obstetrics?
(a) A writer.
(b) An accountant.
(c) An engineer.
(d) A teacher.
8. What was Harrison's specialty?
(a) Heart disease.
(b) Gastrointestinal tumors.
(c) Eye surgery.
(d) Nervous disorders.
9. How does Konner characterize the American medical industry?
(a) A spiritual wasteland.
(b) A model of soulless efficiency.
(c) An ineffective bureaucracy.
(d) A corrupt and mismanaged business.
10. How long was Konner away from the hospital for, as a result of this nomination?
(a) 18 hours.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) 48 hours.
(d) 36 hours.
11. What does Konner say African men did when their wives were in labor?
(a) Put animals in their robes as if they had given birth to them.
(b) Leave the village until they were done.
(c) Hold their wives' hands and encourage them through the pain.
(d) Induce constipation.
12. Where does Konner work on his non-surgical afternoons?
(a) The emergency room.
(b) The family planning clinic.
(c) The outpatient gynecological lab.
(d) The library.
13. What comment about Charlotte was red-penciled off her chart?
(a) She cannot tolerate her own image.
(b) She appreciated kind attention.
(c) She is willing to work to improve her condition.
(d) She is friendly and cooperative.
14. What is Pickwickian syndrome?
(a) A patient forgets where he lives.
(b) A patient passes out while eating.
(c) A patient falls asleep during the day.
(d) A patient lives in an imaginary world.
15. How was Konner involved in the birth of Barbara and Stan's second child?
(a) He was on call throughout the home birth.
(b) He introduced them to each other.
(c) He performed the delivery.
(d) He recommended the nurse-midwives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What department was Richard Harrison head of?
2. What are Konner's feelings about abortion?
3. What kind of approach did Dr. Harrison rule out for Charlotte?
4. What was the patient outcome of the treatment Dr. Brass recommended?
5. How did Dr. Harrison rate Konner's performance?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)