|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
(a) A week.
(b) One day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
2. At what age did Konner begin his first rotation?
3. How often were walk-rounds performed in the psychiatric ward?
(b) Three times a week.
(c) Twice a day.
(d) Once a week.
4. How does Konner characterize surgeons?
(a) Men who thrive on problem solving.
(b) Men who thrive on stress.
(c) Men who enjoyed making snap decisions.
(d) Men who wanted to help people.
5. How does Konner characterize surgeons' personalities?
6. What did the article Konner find in his last week of surgery argue?
(a) Pharmaceutical companies were paying doctors to perform unsafe procedures.
(b) America's standard of care was lower than most industrial nations'.
(c) Science came before patients in medical schools.
(d) Malpractice insurance was raising the cost of everyone's care.
7. What medical term does Konner use to describe his book?
(a) A compensatory pause.
(b) An orchid in the attic.
(c) A missed heartbeat.
(d) A radical treatment.
8. What does Konner say the younger students do not have, which older students do?
(a) Technical expertise.
(c) Political connections.
9. How does Konner say he reacts to this split between methodologies?
(a) He sides with the psychopharmacologists.
(b) He feels conflicted.
(c) He sides with Freud.
(d) He prefers an altogether different approach.
10. What kind of surgery did Konner watch Dr. Ruskin perform?
(a) Spine surgery.
(b) Implant surgery.
(c) Cataract surgery.
(d) Abdominal surgery.
11. What luxury did Konner's relationship with Dr. Haley allow him?
(a) He could rely on Dr. Haley when he was uncertain.
(b) He could make more money.
(c) He could take more time off.
(d) He could diagnose patients by himself.
12. What was Konner's previous training in?
13. What does a retractor do?
(a) Stops bleeding.
(b) Applies pressure to a wound.
(c) Drains blood from a body cavity.
(d) Holds skin open.
14. What specialty does Konner decide to follow?
(c) Medical psychiatry.
15. How does Konner characterize the other medical students?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were in the group of interns seeing patients on rounds?
2. For what did John Williams set records?
3. How did Dr. Feldstein make an impression on Konner?
4. What did Konner think was unrealistic about the doctor he saw on TV?
5. What had happened to the woman who was rolled into the ER?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)