|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kinds of experiences prevent medical students from looking forward to initial encounters with patients?
(b) Severe illnesses.
(c) Prior experience as a nurse or volunteer.
(d) Car accidents.
2. What did Mike Colucci do by mistake?
(a) Removed the wrong organ.
(b) Made the incision in the wrong place.
(c) Failed to anesthetize the patient property.
(d) Cut the cystic artery.
3. How long is a rotation?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two months.
(c) A semester.
(d) Six weeks.
4. What was the surgeons response when Dr. Ramirez asked Konner to intubate?
(a) He showed Konner how to do it.
(b) He did it himself.
(c) He criticized Ramirez' technique.
(d) He wanted Ramirez to intubate.
5. What crude behavior does Konner describe from a resident physician?
(a) Insulting the interns in front of the patients.
(b) Snickering at a woman's diagnosis.
(c) Making racist/sexist jokes with the patients.
(d) Exposing himself to a patient.
6. What feelings in the doctors does Konner say he understood after spending time with long-term incurable patients?
7. How long does Konner say it took for the motorcycle accident victim to recover enough to be transferred to O.R.?
(a) Fifty minutes.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Fifteen seconds.
8. How does Konner say he reacts to this split between methodologies?
(a) He sides with the psychopharmacologists.
(b) He sides with Freud.
(c) He feels conflicted.
(d) He prefers an altogether different approach.
9. What had Petey begun to do at age seventeen?
(a) Assault people.
(b) Attempt suicide.
(c) Regress to childhood.
(d) Use street drugs.
10. How does Konner say anesthesiologists view surgeons?
(a) As drama queens always stealing the show.
(b) As actors in their drama.
(c) As daredevils taking all the risks.
(d) As dangerous.
11. Who confirmed the nurse-anesthesiologist's concern that a patient not be released immediately after surgery?
(a) The surgeon.
(c) The Emergency Ward chief.
(d) The chief of Anesthesiology.
12. Who does Konner say benefits from drugs for childhood hyperactivity?
(b) Drug companies.
13. What interest did Konner's medical training have in common with his previous training?
(a) Human evolution.
(b) Cell development.
(c) Human behavior.
(d) Distribution of disease in populations.
14. What does Konner say Dr. Ruskin bragged about having spent the weekend doing?
(a) Playing golf.
(b) Chopping wood.
15. How did Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues?
(a) By taking inflexible opinions in an argument.
(b) By being caught harassing a nurse.
(c) By making the wrong diagnosis of a patient's symptoms.
(d) By refusing to consult with experts about a patient's case.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was 'Becoming a Doctor' published?
2. What was Konner's Uncle Bobby's role in Konner's life?
3. What was patient Petey's diagnosis?
4. What did the article Konner find in his last week of surgery argue?
5. What was Konner convinced of, after Mike's mistake?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)