|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the branch of psychiatric medicine that complements Freud's psychoanalysis?
(a) Shock treatment.
(b) Surgical treatment.
(d) Drug treatment.
2. What did Mike Colucci do by mistake?
(a) Failed to anesthetize the patient property.
(b) Cut the cystic artery.
(c) Made the incision in the wrong place.
(d) Removed the wrong organ.
3. What does Konner say the younger students do not have, which older students do?
(c) Political connections.
(d) Technical expertise.
4. What did Konner find for the street person who came in with a minor injury?
(a) A bottle of alcohol.
(b) A place to stay.
(c) A clean syringe.
(d) An empty bed.
5. What was Konner convinced of, after Mike's mistake?
(a) He was not surgeon material himself.
(b) Mike Colucci was never going to be a surgeon.
(c) Marty Wentworth practiced bad medicine.
(d) Surgery is a dangerous business.
6. How does Konner compare to the other students in his cohort?
(a) He is younger.
(b) He is the only man.
(c) He is the least prepared.
(d) He is older.
7. How does Konner characterize surgeons?
(a) Men who thrive on problem solving.
(b) Men who thrive on stress.
(c) Men who wanted to help people.
(d) Men who enjoyed making snap decisions.
8. What is the immigrant neurosurgeon's rule, when Konner makes rounds with him?
(a) Talk to the patient.
(b) Touch the patient.
(c) Read the chart first.
(d) Spend as little time as possible with the patient.
9. What decision does Konner reaffirm during his visit with family?
(a) Not to practice medicine.
(b) Not to be a surgeon.
(c) To write an expose about his time in med school.
(d) To publish an anthropological piece on his time in med school.
10. How many people were in the group of interns seeing patients on rounds?
11. What does Konner say was keeping him tired?
(a) Problems in his personal life.
(b) Trying to do several rotations at once.
(c) Nightly assignments.
(d) His day job.
12. What was Konner's experience in Africa?
(a) As a pilot.
(b) As a soldier.
(c) As an anthropologist.
(d) As a nurse.
13. Where did Konner go at the end of his last shift, when he wanted to reflect on the trauma patients he treated?
(a) The chapel.
(b) The bar.
(c) For a walk with another intern.
14. How did Freddy Robertson handle the woman's purple finger?
(a) By sawing off her ring.
(b) By lancing it and draining the blood.
(c) By amputating it.
(d) By compressing the finger.
15. Where do first-year medical students' clinical experiences take place?
(a) By shadowing individual doctors.
(b) Small hospital groups.
(c) One-on-one tutorials.
(d) Large hospital groups.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the diagnosis for patient Edie?
2. Who did students meet with during initial basic clinical skills class?
3. How did Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues?
4. How does Konner characterize his teachers in the basic clinical skills classes?
5. What specialty does Konner decide to follow?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)