|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Scott Lucas' role?
(a) To reinflate the woman's lung.
(b) To get the woman's clothes off.
(c) To take blood.
(d) To test the woman's blood type.
2. What did the article Konner find in his last week of surgery argue?
(a) Malpractice insurance was raising the cost of everyone's care.
(b) Science came before patients in medical schools.
(c) America's standard of care was lower than most industrial nations'.
(d) Pharmaceutical companies were paying doctors to perform unsafe procedures.
3. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
(a) A week.
(b) One day.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three days.
4. What does Konner say the younger students do not have, which older students do?
(b) Technical expertise.
(c) Political connections.
5. Who did students meet with during initial basic clinical skills class?
(b) Patients' relatives.
6. How did Freddy Robertson handle the woman's purple finger?
(a) By sawing off her ring.
(b) By compressing the finger.
(c) By amputating it.
(d) By lancing it and draining the blood.
7. How does Konner characterize Freddy Robertson?
8. How does Konner characterize surgeons' personalities?
9. What did interns do after rounds?
(a) Write up the rounds.
(b) Start to study.
(c) Wait for patients to come in.
(d) Begin assignments.
10. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
(a) Beth Israel Hospital.
(b) Kings County Hospital.
(c) Bay State Hospital.
(d) Galen Memorial Hospital.
11. How long is a rotation?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six months.
(c) A semester.
(d) Six weeks.
12. Where was the woman on the stretcher sent after Konner and his colleagues saw her in ER?
(a) To the morgue.
(b) An intensive care unit.
(c) An operating room.
(d) Back home.
13. What did the surgeon order Konner to get rid of because it would be useless?
(a) A stethoscope.
(b) A fountain pen.
(c) A cigarette.
(d) A leather medical bag.
14. Why did Konner's procedure with the woman with gonorrhea take five times longer than the procedure should have taken?
(a) He tried to heal her emotionally.
(b) He was confused by the woman's symptoms, and it took him longer to rule out certain complications.
(c) He was interested in the woman's story, and listened to her talk.
(d) He thought the woman's chart had been written up incorrectly.
15. How does Konner characterize his teachers in the basic clinical skills classes?
(a) The best teachers he had.
(b) The most impersonal teachers he had.
(c) The least successful teachers he ever had.
(d) The least interesting teachers he ever had.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner characterize his work with Dr. Haley?
2. What kind of treatment was Katherine Ballard most interested in administering?
3. Where do first-year medical students' clinical experiences take place?
4. How does Konner characterize the other medical students?
5. How many medical students was Konner grouped with for his rotation in psychiatry?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)