|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the four laws of medicine?
(a) Learn by experimenting.
(b) Never call a surgeon.
(c) Keep doing things that work.
(d) Do nothing if you don't know.
2. What does Konner say Dr. Ruskin bragged about having spent the weekend doing?
(a) Playing golf.
(c) Chopping wood.
3. What was patient Petey's diagnosis?
(b) Down syndrome.
(c) Aspergers syndrome.
4. How does Konner characterize Dr. Brennan's medical skills?
(a) He says that he was aloof and defensive, and made a lot of mistakes.
(b) He says that he saw beyond the CAT scans.
(c) He says that he could not recognize what was staring him in the face.
(d) He says that he was so friendly that his medical procedures seemed more successful than they were.
5. Who does Konner say benefits from drugs for childhood hyperactivity?
(c) Drug companies.
6. How often were walk-rounds performed in the psychiatric ward?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Three times a week.
(c) Twice a day.
7. What did Dr. Brennan take from Gerald Edwards' body during surgery?
(a) An abscess.
(b) A tumor.
(c) A bullet.
(d) A paper clip.
8. What does Konner say he tried to hide from the woman on whom he had to perform a neurological exam?
(a) He was attracted to her.
(b) He was sick himself.
(c) He had never performed this exam before.
(d) He thought she has severe problems.
9. When was 'Becoming a Doctor' published?
10. What insight did Konner get over his break?
(a) He traveled, and knew what it was like to be out of his element.
(b) He had heartburn, and saw that drugs fixed it immediately.
(c) His father was sick, and he saw the hospital through his eyes.
(d) He was sick, and saw illness from the patient's perspective.
11. What was Scott Lucas' role?
(a) To take blood.
(b) To reinflate the woman's lung.
(c) To test the woman's blood type.
(d) To get the woman's clothes off.
12. What was Freddy Robertson's role in the procedures that were performed?
(a) Testing her blood type.
(b) Holding the woman down.
(c) Directing traffic.
(d) Inserting an IV.
13. How does Konner characterize Freddy Robertson?
14. What does Konner say the younger students do not have, which older students do?
(a) Political connections.
(d) Technical expertise.
15. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Konner characterize Dr. Ringler?
2. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
3. When did walk-rounds begin in the Emergency Ward?
4. What did patient Edwards regain after surgery?
5. How does Konner compare to the other students in his cohort?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)