|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dr. Brennan take from Gerald Edwards' body during surgery?
(a) A bullet.
(b) A paper clip.
(c) A tumor.
(d) An abscess.
2. What was Scott Lucas' role?
(a) To test the woman's blood type.
(b) To get the woman's clothes off.
(c) To take blood.
(d) To reinflate the woman's lung.
3. What did Konner think was unrealistic about the doctor he saw on TV?
(a) He cared about his patients.
(b) He was relentless in his pursuit of nurses.
(c) He got away with gross incompetence.
(d) He had no life outside the hospital.
4. How does Konner characterize shock therapy?
(c) Mild compared with surgery.
(d) Violent and dehumanizing.
5. What was Konner's experience in Africa?
(a) As a soldier.
(b) As an anthropologist.
(c) As a pilot.
(d) As a nurse.
6. Who confirmed the nurse-anesthesiologist's concern that a patient not be released immediately after surgery?
(b) The chief of Anesthesiology.
(c) The Emergency Ward chief.
(d) The surgeon.
7. What kind of surgery did Konner watch Dr. Ruskin perform?
(a) Spine surgery.
(b) Implant surgery.
(c) Abdominal surgery.
(d) Cataract surgery.
8. What medical term does Konner use to describe his book?
(a) A compensatory pause.
(b) An orchid in the attic.
(c) A radical treatment.
(d) A missed heartbeat.
9. Who does Konner say benefits from drugs for childhood hyperactivity?
(d) Drug companies.
10. What had Konner been before starting med school?
(a) A Harvard University professor.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A writer.
(d) An engineer.
11. Who took over the anesthesiology after Dr. Ramirez was finished bagging and intubating a patient?
(a) The patient's mother.
(b) A nurse-anesthesiologist.
(c) A nurse.
(d) The surgeon.
12. How did Marty Wentworth and Dr. Carter embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues?
(a) By taking inflexible opinions in an argument.
(b) By being caught harassing a nurse.
(c) By making the wrong diagnosis of a patient's symptoms.
(d) By refusing to consult with experts about a patient's case.
13. How does Konner characterize his teachers in the basic clinical skills classes?
(a) The most impersonal teachers he had.
(b) The least successful teachers he ever had.
(c) The least interesting teachers he ever had.
(d) The best teachers he had.
14. When did walk-rounds begin in the Emergency Ward?
(a) Twelve noon.
(b) 6:30 a.m.
(c) 4 a.m.
(d) 8:00 p.m.
15. How does Konner say anesthesiologists view surgeons?
(a) As daredevils taking all the risks.
(b) As drama queens always stealing the show.
(c) As actors in their drama.
(d) As dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decision does Konner reaffirm during his visit with family?
2. What distinguished Peter Byron's patient care?
3. How does Konner characterize Freddy Robertson?
4. What crude behavior does Konner describe from a resident physician?
5. What is the branch of psychiatric medicine that complements Freud's psychoanalysis?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)