|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Konner go at the end of his last shift, when he wanted to reflect on the trauma patients he treated?
(a) The chapel.
(c) The bar.
(d) For a walk with another intern.
2. Who took over the anesthesiology after Dr. Ramirez was finished bagging and intubating a patient?
(a) The patient's mother.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A nurse-anesthesiologist.
(d) The surgeon.
3. What behavior of John Williams' embarrassed Konner?
(a) He was known to have affairs with the staff.
(b) He walked away from a patient's question.
(c) He told a patient abruptly that they only had a few months to live.
(d) He callously described a patient's discomfort to a group of interns.
4. How many people were in the group of interns seeing patients on rounds?
5. At what age did Konner begin his first rotation?
6. What is Howard Cullen's diagnosis?
(b) General psychosis.
(c) Severe migraines.
7. What kind of surgery did Konner watch Dr. Ruskin perform?
(a) Abdominal surgery.
(b) Cataract surgery.
(c) Spine surgery.
(d) Implant surgery.
8. What was Konner's status during the anecdote that opens the book?
(c) Med student.
9. What does Konner say is typical of brain disease?
(a) Identity loss.
(d) Suicidal thoughts.
10. What is 'dura mater'?
(a) Another name for bone.
(b) Bony channels in the ear.
(c) The protective sheath around the nerve cell.
(d) Hard matter around the brain.
11. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
(a) A week.
(b) Three days.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
12. What insight did Konner get over his break?
(a) His father was sick, and he saw the hospital through his eyes.
(b) He traveled, and knew what it was like to be out of his element.
(c) He had heartburn, and saw that drugs fixed it immediately.
(d) He was sick, and saw illness from the patient's perspective.
13. How long does Konner say it took for the motorcycle accident victim to recover enough to be transferred to O.R.?
(a) Fifteen hours.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) Fifty minutes.
(d) Fifteen seconds.
14. How does Konner characterize Dr. Brennan's medical skills?
(a) He says that he was so friendly that his medical procedures seemed more successful than they were.
(b) He says that he saw beyond the CAT scans.
(c) He says that he could not recognize what was staring him in the face.
(d) He says that he was aloof and defensive, and made a lot of mistakes.
15. What criticism does Konner make of the surgery that went on for three hours?
(a) The surgeon made mistakes even he could recognize.
(b) The procedure was merely cosmetic.
(c) The patient should not have been operated on.
(d) It could have been finished much sooner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did pediatrics appeal to Konner?
2. What does Konner say Dr. Ruskin bragged about having spent the weekend doing?
3. What had Petey begun to do at age seventeen?
4. Who does Konner say benefits from drugs for childhood hyperactivity?
5. What did patient Edwards regain after surgery?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)