|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Howard Cullen's diagnosis?
(b) Severe migraines.
(c) General psychosis.
2. At what age did Konner begin his first rotation?
3. What specialty does Konner decide to follow?
(d) Medical psychiatry.
4. What did Dr. Brennan take from Gerald Edwards' body during surgery?
(a) A tumor.
(b) An abscess.
(c) A bullet.
(d) A paper clip.
5. Where was the woman on the stretcher sent after Konner and his colleagues saw her in ER?
(a) An operating room.
(b) Back home.
(c) To the morgue.
(d) An intensive care unit.
6. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
(a) A week.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One day.
(d) Three days.
7. What is intubation?
(a) Placing a tube for intravenous fluids into a patient's arm.
(b) Placing a breathing tube into a patient's throat.
(c) Placing a tube into a patient's ear.
(d) Placing a tube into a patient's bladder.
8. What did the article Konner find in his last week of surgery argue?
(a) Science came before patients in medical schools.
(b) Pharmaceutical companies were paying doctors to perform unsafe procedures.
(c) America's standard of care was lower than most industrial nations'.
(d) Malpractice insurance was raising the cost of everyone's care.
9. What was Konner convinced of, after Mike's mistake?
(a) Mike Colucci was never going to be a surgeon.
(b) He was not surgeon material himself.
(c) Marty Wentworth practiced bad medicine.
(d) Surgery is a dangerous business.
10. How long is a rotation?
(a) Six months.
(b) A semester.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Two months.
11. How long does Konner say it took for the motorcycle accident victim to recover enough to be transferred to O.R.?
(a) Fifty minutes.
(b) Fifteen minutes.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Fifteen seconds.
12. Where was Melvin Konner a medical student?
(a) Beth Israel Hospital.
(b) Galen Memorial Hospital.
(c) Bay State Hospital.
(d) Kings County Hospital.
13. What is the prognosis for the patients Konner sees under Dr. Burdick?
(a) They can be released after a talking cure identifies and cures their neurosis.
(b) They will likely spend the rest of their lives in and out of hospitals.
(c) They may improve and be discharged with drugs.
(d) They will not return to normal lives.
14. What was patient Petey's diagnosis?
(b) Down syndrome.
(d) Aspergers syndrome.
15. For how long has Konner wanted to study medicine?
(a) Since high school.
(b) Since college.
(c) All his life.
(d) Since middle school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Konner's previous training in?
2. How does Konner characterize surgeons' personalities?
3. What does Konner say patients almost always want doctors to do?
4. Who confirmed the nurse-anesthesiologist's concern that a patient not be released immediately after surgery?
5. Who did students meet with during initial basic clinical skills class?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)