|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is 'bagging' a patient?
(a) Putting a deceased patient in a body bag.
(b) Covering a patient's head so they cannot see surgery.
(c) Breathing for them with a rubber bag.
(d) Giving a bag to a nauseous patient.
2. What is 'dura mater'?
(a) Hard matter around the brain.
(b) The protective sheath around the nerve cell.
(c) Another name for bone.
(d) Bony channels in the ear.
3. What feelings in the doctors does Konner say he understood after spending time with long-term incurable patients?
4. How long does Konner say it took for the motorcycle accident victim to recover enough to be transferred to O.R.?
(a) Fifty minutes.
(b) Fifteen seconds.
(c) Fifteen hours.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
5. What was Konner's status during the anecdote that opens the book?
(b) Med student.
6. What does Konner say he tried to hide from the woman on whom he had to perform a neurological exam?
(a) He was attracted to her.
(b) He had never performed this exam before.
(c) He was sick himself.
(d) He thought she has severe problems.
7. What was the nature of the first operation in which Konner participated?
(a) Brain surgery.
(b) Gall bladder surgery.
(c) Heart surgery.
(d) Skin surgery.
8. How long a break does Konner get at Christmas?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) A week.
(d) One day.
9. How many medical students was Konner grouped with for his rotation in psychiatry?
10. How often were walk-rounds performed in the psychiatric ward?
(b) Once a week.
(c) Three times a week.
(d) Twice a day.
11. What distinguished Peter Byron's patient care?
(a) He was gentle and non-disruptive.
(b) He was brusque and aloof.
(c) He went out of his way to take care of his patients and their families.
(d) He was incompetent and his heavy drinking obscured his medicine.
12. What was Konner's experience in Africa?
(a) As an anthropologist.
(b) As a soldier.
(c) As a pilot.
(d) As a nurse.
13. What was the surgeons response when Dr. Ramirez asked Konner to intubate?
(a) He did it himself.
(b) He wanted Ramirez to intubate.
(c) He criticized Ramirez' technique.
(d) He showed Konner how to do it.
14. What was Konner's Uncle Bobby's role in Konner's life?
15. How did Dr. Feldstein make an impression on Konner?
(a) By his calm under pressure.
(b) By presenting a contrasting range of patients.
(c) By his patience and insight.
(d) By describing successes with radical procedures.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Konner been before starting med school?
2. How did Freddy Robertson handle the woman's purple finger?
3. What does Konner say patients almost always want doctors to do?
4. Where did Konner go at the end of his last shift, when he wanted to reflect on the trauma patients he treated?
5. What was Konner convinced of, after Mike's mistake?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)