|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens right after the preacher is finished?
2. What did Littmus start?
3. What does the Preacher tell Opal about her mother?
4. What did Winn-Dixie do during the story about Franny's great-grandfather?
5. Which of the following descriptions best suites the character of Otis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does chapter 2 of Gone with the Wind give Opal?
2. What did Otis do that led the police officers to arrest him and what did he do when they tried to arrest him?
3. Where does Opal go when the sky clears and what does she do there?
4. What was the name of the candy Littmus invented and what was it famous for?
5. What does Opal do when she realizes Winn-Dixie is missing and what does Gloria tell her?
6. What do you believe is the author's purpose of this short, transitional chapter?
7. What happened after Opal and the preacher went to search for Winn-Dixie?
8. What happens immediately after the preacher gives the blessing that causes chaos throughout the party?
9. How does the reader feel about Otis once they learn why he was arrested?
10. What does Miss Franny suffer from and what does it remind Opal of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might a reader have empathy for the character Gloria? What ways is Gloria unique? Does Gloria help Opal heal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe events in the story that led Winn-Dixie to help relieve a character's loneliness or sadness. Do you believe a pet can relieve someone's loneliness or sadness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters does Opal judge on who they are rather than rumor? Which characters does she seem to judge prematurely? What seems to be the difference in how they are treated by her?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)