|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Opal make sure Otis is introduced to first?
2. How did they find Winn-Dixie?
3. What does Opal accuse the Preacher of doing?
4. What does Gloria take Opal to see in her yard?
5. Who comes out to talk to Opal as she is checking on her new tree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gloria tell Opal she used to like to do and why can't she do it anymore?
2. How does the group at the party come to know that Otis has arrived?
3. What was the name of the candy Littmus invented and what was it famous for?
4. Why doesn't Otis want to come to the party and how does Opal convince him?
5. What did Littmus do when he arrived home from the war and then what did he have a yearning for?
6. Why was Opal very upset with herself after she gets everyone from the party inside Gloria's house?
7. What do you believe is the author's purpose of this short, transitional chapter?
8. What is the most important thing that Opal tells the ghost tree?
9. What idea does chapter 2 of Gone with the Wind give Opal?
10. What does Opal finally confess to her father that she has been thinking about for a very long time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might a reader have empathy for the character Gloria? What ways is Gloria unique? Does Gloria help Opal heal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is the character of Otis a contradiction? Do you think it is good for Opal to be around Otis? Do you think Otis is a good role model? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of family defined throughout the novel? Does it change from the beginning of the novel to the end? If so, in what way? If not, why do you think it does not?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)