|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is hesitant about coming to Opal's party?
2. How has Opal filled her heart?
3. What does Opal accuse the Preacher of doing?
4. Why did Opal see reflected in the porch light that made her very sad?
5. What does Gloria agree to do to help Opal with her party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader feel about Otis once they learn why he was arrested?
2. What is the most important thing that Opal tells the ghost tree?
3. Why was Opal very upset with herself after she gets everyone from the party inside Gloria's house?
4. How did Littmus feel about his time as a soldier?
5. What does Miss Franny suffer from and what does it remind Opal of?
6. What does Gloria say the Littmus Lozenge she is given reminds her of?
7. What did Opal ask Gloria about Otis and what does Gloria do?
8. How does Opal try to keep all of Gloria's ghosts away?
9. Where does Opal go when the sky clears and what does she do there?
10. What did Littmus do when he arrived home from the war and then what did he have a yearning for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point in the novel does Opal learn that she is capable of causing sadness as well as receiving sadness? Which characters in the novel does Opal cause sadness in? How does that happen? Does she change that? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the children called Gloria a witch? Think of another character in another story who Gloria reminds you of and write how the two are the same.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the character of Opal stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves? Is this a good trait? Why or why not?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)