|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which two ways was Opal able to improve Winn-Dixie?
2. What does Opal hear when she walks into the grocery store?
3. What does Winn-Dixie do when the thunder storm ends?
4. In what state does this story take place?
5. About how old was Miss Franny when the bear got into the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Winn-Dixie when Otis plays his music in front of him?
2. What does Opal tell Winn-Dixie she is a little concerned about?
3. Why did Gloria ask Opal to tell her about herself?
4. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
5. What does Opal confess to Winn-Dixie that she and her father have been thinking a lot about?
6. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
7. What wakes Opal up at night and why is she awoken?
8. What did Opal learn about her mother that caused fights between her mother and her father?
9. What does Opal's father share that her mother did not like about his profession?
10. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the character of Opal stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves? Is this a good trait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the children called Gloria a witch? Think of another character in another story who Gloria reminds you of and write how the two are the same.
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of family defined throughout the novel? Does it change from the beginning of the novel to the end? If so, in what way? If not, why do you think it does not?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)