|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is a parrot?
2. Why does Opal want to remember the things her father told her?
3. What agreement did Opal make with the Preacher?
4. What did the manager of the grocery store want to do with the dog?
5. What profession does Opal's father practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Opal do on the walk back to her home with Winn-Dixie?
2. What does it appear the dog is doing when he goes back over to the grocery store manager?
3. What does Miss Franny spend all of her time doing and how could she be characterized?
4. What does Gloria tell Opal about her garden which makes Opal feel very happy?
5. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
6. What does Opal call her father and what is his new job in Florida?
7. Describe the library and who is it named after?
8. How would you describe Opal's decision about wanting to memorize the information her father shared with her about her mother?
9. How does Opal feel about the move to Naomi, Florida with her father?
10. What happened to Opal's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the two stages in which this novel climaxes? What does the reader learn about the preacher during the climax? How do you think Opal feels when she sees that her father is so upset?
Essay Topic 2
How does Opal feel about about her mother's abandonment at the beginning of the novel? In what ways do her feelings change? Do they change for the positive or negative? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of prejudice woven throughout the novel? Which characters seem to demonstrate a form of prejudice at some point throughout the novel? Do they overcome it? How or why not?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)