|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following seems to be true about Opal's relationship with her father?
2. What did Opal forget to do?
3. How does Winn-Dixie deal with his fear?
4. Who is the Preacher that Opal refers to continually?
5. How many things did Opal want her father to share with her about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winn-Dixie do in Opal's home while he is upset about the thunderstorms?
2. Where is Opal's favorite place to go and how does it seem that Winn-Dixie knows when they are there?
3. What does it appear the dog is doing when he goes back over to the grocery store manager?
4. Describe the library and who is it named after?
5. What did Opal do to help convince Otis to hire her?
6. What did Gloria want to do with Opal and what did she tell Opal it was?
7. What does Opal call her father and what is his new job in Florida?
8. What does Miss Franny spend all of her time doing and how could she be characterized?
9. How would you describe Opal's decision about wanting to memorize the information her father shared with her about her mother?
10. What happens when Opal and Winn-Dixie finish up at the pet store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways are Otis and Winn-Dixie the same? In what ways does Opal treat them the same? Do you think this is intentional on the part of the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the two stages in which this novel climaxes? What does the reader learn about the preacher during the climax? How do you think Opal feels when she sees that her father is so upset?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does the character of Opal stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves? Is this a good trait? Why or why not?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)