|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes what Stevie and Dunlap Dewberry do to Opal whenever she goes to visit Gloria?
2. What makes things alright again for Opal after she has to deal with Stevie and Dunlap Dewberry?
3. What agreement did Opal make with the Preacher?
4. What did Opal forget to do?
5. What did Dunlap and Stevie tell Opal that the witch did to dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gloria want to do with Opal and what did she tell Opal it was?
2. What does Opal interpret it means when Winn-Dixie stares at her after she makes her confession to him?
3. Why did Franny's father, Herman Block, build the library?
4. Why did Gloria ask Opal to tell her about herself?
5. Write a description of the church that Opal's father preaches at.
6. What happens to Winn-Dixie when Otis plays his music in front of him?
7. What does Opal's father share that her mother did not like about his profession?
8. What did Opal learn about her mother that caused fights between her mother and her father?
9. How does Opal feel about the move to Naomi, Florida with her father?
10. Describe the library and who is it named after?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the statement judgment without knowledge can lead one astray is reflected within this novel. Include specific examples from the text and then add personal connections you have experienced with this statement.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways are Otis and Winn-Dixie the same? In what ways does Opal treat them the same? Do you think this is intentional on the part of the author? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the children called Gloria a witch? Think of another character in another story who Gloria reminds you of and write how the two are the same.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)