|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Opal hear as she is looking through the stacks for a book?
2. What does Opal think the dog will do for her father?
3. How big did Miss Franny say the bear was?
4. In which two ways was Opal able to improve Winn-Dixie?
5. What does Opal want to do with all of the things her father told her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gloria want to do with Opal and what did she tell Opal it was?
2. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
3. What happens when Opal's father sends her to the store to get groceries for the two of them?
4. What does Opal tell Winn-Dixie she is a little concerned about?
5. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
6. What happened to Opal's mother?
7. What does Miss Franny spend all of her time doing and how could she be characterized?
8. How does Opal feel about the move to Naomi, Florida with her father?
9. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
10. Where is Opal's favorite place to go and how does it seem that Winn-Dixie knows when they are there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point in the novel does Opal learn that she is capable of causing sadness as well as receiving sadness? Which characters in the novel does Opal cause sadness in? How does that happen? Does she change that? How or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the children called Gloria a witch? Think of another character in another story who Gloria reminds you of and write how the two are the same.
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of family defined throughout the novel? Does it change from the beginning of the novel to the end? If so, in what way? If not, why do you think it does not?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)