|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following seems to be true about Opal's relationship with her father?
2. What book was Miss Franny reading when she confronted the bear?
3. Why does Opal want to remember the things her father told her?
4. Where do Opal and Winn-Dixie go early every morning?
5. What does Winn-Dixie do whenever he is tied up somewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Opal's mother?
2. In what way are Winn-Dixie and Opal alike according to Opal?
3. Describe the library and who is it named after?
4. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
5. What does the dog do when he sees Opal and how does he do it?
6. What does Gloria tell Opal about her garden which makes Opal feel very happy?
7. What does it appear the dog is doing when he goes back over to the grocery store manager?
8. What did Opal learn about her mother that caused fights between her mother and her father?
9. What does Opal's father share that her mother did not like about his profession?
10. What does Opal confess to Winn-Dixie that she and her father have been thinking a lot about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe events in the story that led Winn-Dixie to help relieve a character's loneliness or sadness. Do you believe a pet can relieve someone's loneliness or sadness? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Opal begin to feel needed and to have a reason for living as the book progresses? How does this change her character?
Essay Topic 3
How does the lozenge relate to the main themes of this story? Do you believe the book would be as good had the lozenge been eliminated? Why or why not?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)