|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miss Franny actually see outside of the library?
2. What did the manager of the grocery store want to do with the dog?
3. What profession does Opal's father practice?
4. Which of the following best describes how the Preacher lives?
5. Which of the following traits do both Opal and the Preacher share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Opal's mother?
2. Where is Opal's favorite place to go and how does it seem that Winn-Dixie knows when they are there?
3. What does Gloria tell Opal about her garden which makes Opal feel very happy?
4. What happens when Opal's father sends her to the store to get groceries for the two of them?
5. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
6. What does Opal do on the walk back to her home with Winn-Dixie?
7. What does Opal confess to Winn-Dixie that she and her father have been thinking a lot about?
8. What happens to Winn-Dixie when Otis plays his music in front of him?
9. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
10. Describe the library and who is it named after?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the children called Gloria a witch? Think of another character in another story who Gloria reminds you of and write how the two are the same.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the statement judgment without knowledge can lead one astray is reflected within this novel. Include specific examples from the text and then add personal connections you have experienced with this statement.
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of prejudice woven throughout the novel? Which characters seem to demonstrate a form of prejudice at some point throughout the novel? Do they overcome it? How or why not?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)