|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how the Preacher lives?
2. Which of the following things can Opal do very well?
3. How does Opal treat Winn-Dixie?
4. Which of the following positive traits does Opal show in this novel so far?
5. What does Winn-Dixie do whenever he is tied up somewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Opal interpret it means when Winn-Dixie stares at her after she makes her confession to him?
2. Why did Franny's father, Herman Block, build the library?
3. In what way are Winn-Dixie and Opal alike according to Opal?
4. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
5. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
6. What happened to the bear when Franny threw War and Peace at him?
7. What does Opal do on the walk back to her home with Winn-Dixie?
8. How does the author describe Dunlap and Stevie Dewberry?
9. What did Opal do to help convince Otis to hire her?
10. What does Gloria tell Opal about her garden which makes Opal feel very happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the character of Opal stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves? Is this a good trait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of prejudice woven throughout the novel? Which characters seem to demonstrate a form of prejudice at some point throughout the novel? Do they overcome it? How or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe events in the story that led Winn-Dixie to help relieve a character's loneliness or sadness. Do you believe a pet can relieve someone's loneliness or sadness? Why or why not?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)