|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Opal notice about the dog's fur?
2. What makes things alright again for Opal after she has to deal with Stevie and Dunlap Dewberry?
3. Which of the following positive traits does Opal show in this novel so far?
4. Which phrase best captures the theme of this chapter?
5. Where does Winn-Dixie go during the time the Preacher is telling Opal about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Franny spend all of her time doing and how could she be characterized?
2. What does the dog do when he sees Opal and how does he do it?
3. What did Opal do to help convince Otis to hire her?
4. How does the author describe Dunlap and Stevie Dewberry?
5. What did Gloria want to do with Opal and what did she tell Opal it was?
6. What does Gloria tell Opal about her garden which makes Opal feel very happy?
7. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
8. Where is Opal's favorite place to go and how does it seem that Winn-Dixie knows when they are there?
9. What happened to the bear when Franny threw War and Peace at him?
10. What does Opal do on the walk back to her home with Winn-Dixie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Opal begin to feel needed and to have a reason for living as the book progresses? How does this change her character?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters seem to display emotional isolation? How does this affect their lives? Do they change throughout the novel? How or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two stages in which this novel climaxes? What does the reader learn about the preacher during the climax? How do you think Opal feels when she sees that her father is so upset?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)