|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Opal do when she gets home?
2. What did Miss Franny think she saw outside of the library?
3. Why does Miss Franny allow Winn-Dixie in the library?
4. Where do Opal and Winn-Dixie go early every morning?
5. What instrument does Opal find out that Otis plays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Opal confess to Winn-Dixie that she and her father have been thinking a lot about?
2. What does Opal call her father and what is his new job in Florida?
3. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
4. What does Winn-Dixie do in Opal's home while he is upset about the thunderstorms?
5. What did Opal do to help convince Otis to hire her?
6. What does the dog do when he sees Opal and how does he do it?
7. What does it appear the dog is doing when he goes back over to the grocery store manager?
8. What did Opal learn about her mother that caused fights between her mother and her father?
9. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
10. What does Opal interpret it means when Winn-Dixie stares at her after she makes her confession to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the author interweave the them of loneliness throughout the novel? Are there any characters who do not seem to be lonely? If so, who, if not why not?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters seem to display emotional isolation? How does this affect their lives? Do they change throughout the novel? How or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the lozenge relate to the main themes of this story? Do you believe the book would be as good had the lozenge been eliminated? Why or why not?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)