|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following traits do both Opal and the Preacher share?
2. In what way was Opal's mother's appearance just like Opal's?
3. What does Opal think about Amanda Wilkinson?
4. What did Opal forget to do?
5. Which of the following is not an accurate description of the dog Opal sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
2. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
3. What does Opal call her father and what is his new job in Florida?
4. Describe the library and who is it named after?
5. What did Opal do to help convince Otis to hire her?
6. What happens to Winn-Dixie when Otis plays his music in front of him?
7. What does the dog do when he sees Opal and how does he do it?
8. What wakes Opal up at night and why is she awoken?
9. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
10. What happens when Opal and Winn-Dixie finish up at the pet store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Opal feel about about her mother's abandonment at the beginning of the novel? In what ways do her feelings change? Do they change for the positive or negative? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Opal's mother left her father? On what evidence are you basing this conclusion? Do you think her mother's leaving was a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does the lozenge relate to the main themes of this story? Do you believe the book would be as good had the lozenge been eliminated? Why or why not?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)