|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the manager of the grocery store want to do with the dog?
2. What does Opal hear when she walks into the grocery store?
3. Which of the following is not an accurate description of the dog Opal sees?
4. What did Opal notice about the dog's fur?
5. What does Opal say she and Winn-Dixie have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
2. What does Opal call her father and what is his new job in Florida?
3. What was the name of the candy Littmus invented and what was it famous for?
4. What happened to the bear when Franny threw War and Peace at him?
5. How does the author describe Dunlap and Stevie Dewberry?
6. How did Amanda seem when she entered the library and how was this interpreted by Opal?
7. What happens when Opal's father sends her to the store to get groceries for the two of them?
8. What did Gloria tell Opal she used to like to do and why can't she do it anymore?
9. How does the preacher react to Opal's statements and what does he say?
10. Why did Franny's father, Herman Block, build the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Opal feel about about her mother's abandonment at the beginning of the novel? In what ways do her feelings change? Do they change for the positive or negative? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the statement judgment without knowledge can lead one astray is reflected within this novel. Include specific examples from the text and then add personal connections you have experienced with this statement.
Essay Topic 3
In what way does the author interweave the them of loneliness throughout the novel? Are there any characters who do not seem to be lonely? If so, who, if not why not?
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)