|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miss Franny think the bear wanted to do?
2. What color theme is Sweetie Pie's birthday party?
3. What did Dunlap and Stevie tell Opal that the witch did to dogs?
4. What kind of fear does the Preacher say Winn-Dixie has?
5. How does Opal describe the Preacher to the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Franny spend all of her time doing and how could she be characterized?
2. How would you describe Opal's decision about wanting to memorize the information her father shared with her about her mother?
3. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
4. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
5. Why did Franny's father, Herman Block, build the library?
6. What happened to the bear when Franny threw War and Peace at him?
7. Why did Gloria ask Opal to tell her about herself?
8. What happened to Opal's mother?
9. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
10. What does Opal do on the walk back to her home with Winn-Dixie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does the character of Opal stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves? Is this a good trait? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters seem to display emotional isolation? How does this affect their lives? Do they change throughout the novel? How or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways are Otis and Winn-Dixie the same? In what ways does Opal treat them the same? Do you think this is intentional on the part of the author? Why or why not?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)