|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an accurate description of how the Preacher feels about Winn-Dixie after Opal finishes with him?
2. Why does Miss Franny allow Winn-Dixie in the library?
3. What happens when Otis stops playing music?
4. What did the Preacher tell Opal that he couldn't give Opal's mother when they were running?
5. What instrument does Opal find out that Otis plays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
2. Describe the library and who is it named after?
3. How does Opal react to finding Winn-Dixie and what actions does she take?
4. What was the name of the candy Littmus invented and what was it famous for?
5. What did Littmus do when he arrived home from the war and then what did he have a yearning for?
6. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
7. Why did Gloria ask Opal to tell her about herself?
8. How did Littmus feel about his time as a soldier?
9. What idea does chapter 2 of Gone with the Wind give Opal?
10. What happened to Opal's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might a reader have empathy for the character Gloria? What ways is Gloria unique? Does Gloria help Opal heal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Opal's mother left her father? On what evidence are you basing this conclusion? Do you think her mother's leaving was a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How is the concept of family defined throughout the novel? Does it change from the beginning of the novel to the end? If so, in what way? If not, why do you think it does not?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)