|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following traits do both Opal and the Preacher share?
2. What question did Gloria ask Opal about Dunlap and Stevie?
3. How many staff members are there running the library?
4. What does Opal hear when she walks into the grocery store?
5. Which of the following characters invites Opal to a birthday party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Opal finally confess to her father that she has been thinking about for a very long time?
2. How does the reader feel about Otis once they learn why he was arrested?
3. What does the dog do when he sees Opal and how does he do it?
4. What happened to Opal's mother?
5. What did Gloria want to do with Opal and what did she tell Opal it was?
6. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
7. What did Littmus do when he arrived home from the war and then what did he have a yearning for?
8. Where does Opal go when the sky clears and what does she do there?
9. How would you describe Opal's decision about wanting to memorize the information her father shared with her about her mother?
10. What happens when Opal and Winn-Dixie finish up at the pet store?
Essay Topic 1
Why might a reader have empathy for the character Gloria? What ways is Gloria unique? Does Gloria help Opal heal? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the statement judgment without knowledge can lead one astray is reflected within this novel. Include specific examples from the text and then add personal connections you have experienced with this statement.
Essay Topic 3
How does Opal feel about about her mother's abandonment at the beginning of the novel? In what ways do her feelings change? Do they change for the positive or negative? How do you know?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)