|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event happens within the store that secures Opal's job at the store?
2. Which of the following is not true about Opal's mother's sense of humor?
3. Which of the following best describes how the Preacher lives?
4. Why did Opal settle on the specific number she did in regards to the number of things she wanted to know about her mother?
5. How many staff members are there running the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Winn-Dixie do in Opal's home while he is upset about the thunderstorms?
2. What does Miss Franny spend all of her time doing and how could she be characterized?
3. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
4. How would you describe Opal's decision about wanting to memorize the information her father shared with her about her mother?
5. What happens when Opal and Winn-Dixie finish up at the pet store?
6. What did Opal ask Otis if she could do to pay for the collar and leash?
7. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
8. Write a description of the church that Opal's father preaches at.
9. What does it appear the dog is doing when he goes back over to the grocery store manager?
10. What happened to Opal's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Opal feel about about her mother's abandonment at the beginning of the novel? In what ways do her feelings change? Do they change for the positive or negative? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
How is the theme of prejudice woven throughout the novel? Which characters seem to demonstrate a form of prejudice at some point throughout the novel? Do they overcome it? How or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think the children called Gloria a witch? Think of another character in another story who Gloria reminds you of and write how the two are the same.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)