|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Preacher sees the ugly, matted and smelly dog that Opal brought home?
2. Which of the following would be an accurate description of how Opal's life in town is now?
3. What does Winn-Dixie do that leads people to believe that he is listening to the Preacher's service?
4. How does Opal describe the Preacher to the dog?
5. Which of the following positive traits does Opal show in this novel so far?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gloria ask Opal to tell her about herself?
2. What happens when Otis stops playing his music and what does this lead Opal to do?
3. What does Gloria tell Opal about her garden which makes Opal feel very happy?
4. What happened to the bear when Franny threw War and Peace at him?
5. Why does Opal feel unwelcome at the trailer park where she lives and how does she think Winn-Dixie will be received?
6. Why did Franny's father, Herman Block, build the library?
7. What does Opal interpret it means when Winn-Dixie stares at her after she makes her confession to him?
8. What happens when Opal's father sends her to the store to get groceries for the two of them?
9. What happens if Opal or her father leave Winn-Dixie tied up outside of the trailer?
10. What does Opal do on the walk back to her home with Winn-Dixie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the author interweave the them of loneliness throughout the novel? Are there any characters who do not seem to be lonely? If so, who, if not why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Opal begin to feel needed and to have a reason for living as the book progresses? How does this change her character?
Essay Topic 3
What are the two stages in which this novel climaxes? What does the reader learn about the preacher during the climax? How do you think Opal feels when she sees that her father is so upset?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)