• Opal and her father relocate to Naomi, Florida where he will be the preacher at the Open Arms Baptist Church.
• Opal's father, who she calls Preacher, sends her to the grocery store to get groceries.
• When she gets there, a dog is running around the store and the manager is screaming at the dog as all sorts of vegetables end up on the ground.
• The dog is big, ugly and smelly, but when he looks at Opal he seems to smile.
• The dog runs over to the manager who wants to take him to the pound, but Opal says no she'll take him.
• She names him Winn-Dixie after the store where he was found.
• Opal decides to take him home to her father and hopes they can help him.
• On the way to her home, Opal tells Winn-Dixie how lonely she is and that...
This section contains 2,617 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)