|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the male slaves after they enter the garden?
(a) They meet the harem and the sultan.
(b) They are mounted on crosses.
(c) They are introduced to the harem.
(d) They are locked in a room.
2. Who dares to look into the master's eyes?
(b) The sultan.
3. When the master inspects Beauty, what does he slap?
(a) Her face.
(b) Her breasts.
(c) Her knees.
(d) Her bottom.
4. What does Beauty realize that the women in the harem are not supposed to feel?
5. From what point of view is Beauty's story told?
(a) Second person.
(b) Limited third person.
(c) Omniscient third person.
(d) First person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used to lead the group of slaves down the corridor?
2. When she is kidnapped, who is Beauty forced to serve?
3. What is the name of the place Laurent is mounted as punishment?
4. To what is Laurent's chained hooked?
5. Besides Beauty, which other slaves are taken behind Laurent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What emotions does Beauty face during the cleaning process?
2. What will Beauty's fate be when the ship hits shore?
3. What are the signs that the sex between Laurent and Lexius was consensual?
4. What is Laurent's response to Tristan being chosen by the sultan?
5. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
6. Why is the tone of the novel inconsistent with the events?
7. After the sexual experience that Laurent and Lexius share, how do both men feel?
8. How is the sexuality of the prisoners suppressed?
9. Why do you think Beauty is placed on the ship?
10. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)