|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what point of view is Beauty's story told?
(a) Omniscient third person.
(b) Second person.
(c) Limited third person.
(d) First person.
2. What does the master say that the sultan requires?
3. Whom does Beauty most want to serve?
(c) Her old master.
4. Who is Beauty attracted to?
(a) The king.
(d) The sultan.
5. Which of the following describes the master's actions toward the slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beauty's role in court?
2. With what are Beauty's legs bound?
3. What is done with Beauty's hair?
4. When the master addresses the slaves, why are they shocked?
5. After his conversation about love with Beauty, what does Laurent conclude about his mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent changed since they arrived at the sultan's palace?
2. What fate does the queen determine for Laurent and Tristan?
3. How does the examination the slaves undergo show dehumanization and degradation?
4. Why does Laurent begin crying in the sultan's bedchamber?
5. What relationships can the reader expect to be explored in this novel?
6. What are the similarities and differences between the animalistic treatment in the sultanate and the queendom?
7. Describe the language used in reference to sexuality.
8. What does Laurent's immediate submersion into and acceptance of court life represent?
9. What is Laurent's response to Tristan being chosen by the sultan?
10. After the sexual experience that Laurent and Lexius share, how do both men feel?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)