|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Laurent feel about being punished in front of the village?
(a) He enjoys it.
(b) He fears he will be killed.
(c) He is ashamed.
(d) He thinks it was more degrading than his current position.
2. Whom does Beauty most want to serve?
(c) Her old master.
3. What is happening in the garden where Tristan and Laurent are led?
(a) Servants are setting up a banquet.
(b) The harem is dealing with Beauty.
(c) Lexius and the sultan are having a discussion.
(d) The gardeners are working.
4. Where does Laurent wake up?
(a) In the sultan's palace.
(b) In a stable.
(c) On a horse.
(d) On a ship.
5. Which of the following tone changes are consistent with the occurrences in "The Watcher"?
(a) Happiness to hostility.
(b) Desolation to eeriness.
(c) Desperation to eagerness.
(d) Desolation to joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lexius apply to Beauty's body when she is clean?
2. Who raids the village?
3. Who is Beauty attracted to?
4. Who dares to look into the master's eyes?
5. Besides Beauty, which other slaves are taken behind Laurent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the examination of the slaves.
2. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
3. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
4. What are the two ways that Laurent distinguishes himself in the sultan's court?
5. After his sentence serving as a pony is over, what becomes of Laurent?
6. What proves to Laurent that Lexius enjoyed their rendezvous?
7. What type of life is Beauty used to?
8. What is Laurent's response to Tristan being chosen by the sultan?
9. What does Laurent's immediate submersion into and acceptance of court life represent?
10. Describe the tone change from desolation to eeriness in "The Watcher."
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)