|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word do the characters use to describe their genitals?
2. Why does Laurent run away from his mistress?
(a) She has threatened him.
(b) She will not have sex with him.
(c) He enjoys the fear of running away.
(d) He is unhappy.
3. Which of the following tone changes are consistent with the occurrences in "The Watcher"?
(a) Happiness to hostility.
(b) Desolation to eeriness.
(c) Desperation to eagerness.
(d) Desolation to joy.
4. What does Beauty notice about herself and the other slaves?
(a) They are not even paying attention to the master.
(b) They are unusually enrapt in the master's speech.
(c) They are not as attracted to the master as she is attracted to him.
(d) The men are not as attracted to the master as the women.
5. What does Beauty question about the women in the harem?
(a) If they are really married to the sultan.
(b) If they are actually happy.
(c) If they actually like her or not.
(d) If they have ever seen genitals.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the master inspects Beauty, what does he slap?
2. What is the name of the queen Beauty served?
3. Who, in disguise, released Beauty from being tied up?
4. Whom does the master inspect last?
5. Which of the following is ironic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Beauty's emotions when she sees the harem on the other side of the wall.
2. Why is the tone of the novel inconsistent with the events?
3. How have Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent changed since they arrived at the sultan's palace?
4. What does Laurent's insistence that Lexius be taken back to the queen tell the reader?
5. What is a result of the master's gentleness with the slaves?
6. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
7. How does Laurent try to escape punishment, and what result does it have?
8. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
9. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
10. Describe the way Laurent feels when he is bound to the cross during the banquet.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)