|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Laurent's suggestion, who is a eunuch?
(a) The sultan.
2. Why does Laurent run away from his mistress?
(a) She has threatened him.
(b) He enjoys the fear of running away.
(c) She will not have sex with him.
(d) He is unhappy.
3. What type of man approaches Beauty as she is bound in the chamber?
(a) Richly dressed lord.
(b) Servant in a uniform.
(c) Plainly dressed peasant.
(d) Lexius in a robe.
4. Which of the following is an element of foreshadowing in the novel?
(a) Beauty catches the eye of the sultan immediately.
(b) Beauty wants to find love.
(c) Beauty wants to escape.
(d) Beauty wants to get a paying job.
5. Which character was punished for speaking up by being bound, gagged, and suspended from the ceiling?
6. When Laurent served his last mistress, what would happen each morning?
(a) He would be whipped.
(b) He would bring her a mate.
(c) He would be raped.
(d) He would make her breakfast.
7. According to Beauty, what type of life feels most natural to her?
8. Who raids the village?
(c) The sultan's men.
(d) The king's men.
9. What is the name of the master?
10. What does the queen's emissary warn the prisoners of when they are kidnapped?
(a) To tell the sultan that the queen will have vengeance.
(b) To try to escape.
(c) To fight the sultan.
(d) To remain silent.
11. After his conversation about love with Beauty, what does Laurent conclude about his mistress?
(a) His love for his mistress is just like Beauty and Tristan's love.
(b) His love for his mistress is like Tritsan's love for his master.
(c) His love for his mistress is like Beauty's idea of love.
(d) His love for his mistress is different from Beauty's idea of love and Tristan's love for his master.
12. Who is Beauty attracted to?
(b) The sultan.
(d) The king.
13. Who seems to acknowledge that the slaves are humans?
(a) The master.
(b) An attendant.
(c) A villager.
(d) The sultan.
14. When the master caresses each of the slaves, whom does he linger on?
15. What type of sexual relationships were present in the queen's kingdom?
(a) Completely consensual.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Lexius talks with two male servants, what does Beauty hear?
2. When Laurent compares his mistress to Beauty, what does he think makes the difference in regards to love?
3. In which of the following does Laurent allude to being interested?
4. What type of nation does the sultan seem to run?
5. What word do the characters use to describe their genitals?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)