|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Laurent's suggestion, who is a eunuch?
(a) The sultan.
2. What does the master say that the sultan requires?
3. When the slaves are lifted and carried in a procession, where are they heading?
(a) To the queen's castle.
(b) To the marketplace.
(c) To the sultan's palace.
(d) To the church.
4. Who, in disguise, released Beauty from being tied up?
(a) The sultana.
(d) The sultan.
5. Why does Laurent run away from his mistress?
(a) She has threatened him.
(b) She will not have sex with him.
(c) He is unhappy.
(d) He enjoys the fear of running away.
6. Which of the following happens after Beauty falls asleep alone in the chamber, tied up?
(a) Somebody comes in to talk to her.
(b) Somebody secretly watches her.
(c) Somebody throws something at her.
(d) She is given a sponge bath.
7. What does the attendants' preparation of the slaves signify?
(a) The memory of past lives fo the slaves.
(b) The view taken of sex slaves.
(c) The love shared between a master and slave.
(d) The love of the sultan for sexuality.
8. What is the master's official title?
(a) Sultan's Quality Control Groom.
(b) Sultan's Chief Steward of the Grooms.
(c) Sultan's Special Groomsman.
(d) Sultan's Equestrian Steward.
9. What is the name of the woman with curly black hair that is considered very attractive?
10. With whom does Beauty seem to have the most mutual attraction?
(a) The sultan.
11. Which of the following is a theme in the relationship between Laurent and Lexius?
(b) Role reversal.
12. How does Laurent feel when he is with his mistress?
13. What submissive gesture do the slaves use when moving along the corridors?
(a) Heads down.
(b) Hands up.
(c) Hands behind their backs.
(d) Knees bent.
14. Which three characters are foreshadowed to have a strange relationship?
(a) Tristan, Beauty, Laurent.
(b) Rosalynd, Beauty, Elena.
(c) Laurent, Beauty, the master.
(d) Tristan, Beauty, the master.
15. What does Beauty realize about the sultana's body?
(a) She was originally a man.
(b) Her genitals have been mutilated.
(c) She is slightly deformed.
(d) She has received plastic surgery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the queen Beauty served?
2. When Beauty thinks she is about to collapse, who appears to hold her as she is dried?
3. Which of the following is an element of foreshadowing in the novel?
4. Whom does Beauty most want to serve?
5. What happens to the male slaves after they enter the garden?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)