|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Captain points it that it wasn't the severity of the beatings which made Tristan connected to the Captain, but the daily __________.
2. What was Tristan's Master doing when he entered the bedroom of his Master?
3. What does Mistress Lockley say that the soldiers liked on Beauty when they had their way with her?
4. Where does Beauty go when she realizes that the Mistress is upset with her and will probably punish her?
5. Nicolas tells Tristan that ___________ is up to become a slave for the next year, in accordance with the ritual.
Essay Topic 1
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
Essay Topic 3
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)