|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Captain points it that it wasn't the severity of the beatings which made Tristan connected to the Captain, but the daily __________.
2. Who rode in the coach beside a tall man, and his/her appearance was a surprise to Tristan?
3. Tristan sees a lovely village woman with a pretty ___________ skirt and white ruffled blouse paddling Beauty.
4. The Master was wearing a doublet of __________ velvet with fancy balloon sleeves and looked like a Prince.
5. Nicolas tells Tristan, "I have never loved any _________ as I love you," when they are finally alone together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beauty begins to realize she is reacting to pain with pleasure, something she didn't do before.
Part 1: Why might the pain begin to become pleasurable to a person?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses intend for the pain of the slave to become pleasurable?
Part 3: Do you think that the slaves are being trained to interpret pain as pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are called Princes and Princesses, bought and sold into slavery when they are children.
Part 1: Why do you think Princesses and Princes are turned into slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the value of the slaves goes up if they are royalty? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the suffering and humiliation of a Prince or Princess compares to a slave who is not royalty?
This section contains 1,627 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)