|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years had Jerard already been a slave in the village, according to his own admission?
2. While Tristan has already been with the Princess in the tent, he realizes his ____________ has redoubled upon going to his Master.
3. What does the Mistress apply to Tristan as he is bound to the wall during the day?
4. Who was the slave that was missed more than any other at the court, even though the slave has to be disciplined often?
5. Who was the one who tended to the fire when Master Nicolas and Tristan were in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are not supposed to talk to each other when they have time together.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves aren't allowed to talk to each other when they are alone?
Part 2: How do you think a Master or Mistress might be able to enforce this no talking rule?
Part 3: What sorts of information can be passed from slave to slave when they talk to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the slaves receive more perks than other slaves might during their ownership and training.
Part 1: Do you think it's fair for some of the slaves to get more rewards than other slaves do?
Part 2: How do you think the relationships between the slaves change when they see others getting more rewards?
Part 3: Why do you think owners and other trainers decide to treat some slaves better than others?
Essay Topic 3
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
This section contains 1,629 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)