|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Tristan's Master doing when he entered the bedroom of his Master?
2. The Captain describes ____________ as one of the wildest slaves he's known, broke and ran through the forest when the slave was ordered to strip.
3. What is Tristan to be whipped for when he is taken for shipping, according to Nicolas?
4. Who was the slave that was missed more than any other at the court, even though the slave has to be disciplined often?
5. Beauty says that Tristan has given his ____________ to his Master and it is something she hasn't done yet.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
Essay Topic 2
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are not supposed to talk to each other when they have time together.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves aren't allowed to talk to each other when they are alone?
Part 2: How do you think a Master or Mistress might be able to enforce this no talking rule?
Part 3: What sorts of information can be passed from slave to slave when they talk to each other?
This section contains 1,633 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)