Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty is bound up as she is given to her new owner, thinking that it was very clever that she would be led around as though she were a little _________.
2. Tristan realizes he heard a number of kind words of ___________ from his previous Master, though he had still chosen to disobey.
3. Where were the soldiers riding close to so as to make sure they could still reach the slaves to beat them as they traveled?
4. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
5. Beauty began to feel that beatings and paddling were become more ____________ and it seemed strange to her.
Short Essay Questions
1. How must Tristan and the other slaves he is with feed when they are in their stable together?
2. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
3. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
4. What does the Lord have to say about the pirates' taste in slaves during their raid?
5. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
6. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
7. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
8. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
9. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
10. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
Essay Topic 1
The auctions have become a bit of public sport for the villagers, causing quite a stir when they occur each year.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers enjoy the auctions so much?
Part 2: Do you think that the villagers should be allowed to attend the slave auctions?
Part 3: How do you think that slaves feel about having all of the villagers around to see them at the auctions?
Essay Topic 2
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)