|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the auction block in the new village where the slaves are being taken?
2. Beauty thinks it's amazing that the prince on the torture device is able to keep his _______________ during the pain.
3. Even as he was on the auction block, Tristan thought about Beauty's __________ and questions in his mind.
4. Where did Mistress Lockley force Beauty to go up to when she took her out and dried her hair?
5. What was Beauty forced to do when she entered the room and Mistress Lockley pushed her forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves learn about the Sultan and the way that he will treat his slaves?
2. What does Tristan ask Nicolas about, in relation to the way slaves should act in their new lives?
3. Who is Sleeping Beauty infatuated with when she first wakes up after being asleep?
4. What does the Commander of the Patrol warn the slaves to do as they are being removed from the cart?
5. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
6. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
7. What have Sleeping Beauty's parents consented for the Crown Prince to do with Beauty?
8. What happens to Beauty as a result of becoming a slave who is to be sold?
9. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
10. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 2
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
This section contains 2,016 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)