|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Tristan sees as he moves into a new room with oil lamps and is told to remain still?
2. What did the Captain use in order to inspect the endowments of Beauty as she was laid down?
3. What does someone shout as Beauty is being described and tormented on the block? "Sell her into the ________!"
4. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
5. Beauty was claimed as the Prince's naked ___________ slave to be taken to his Kingdom.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Beauty as a result of becoming a slave who is to be sold?
2. What is the agreement between the slaves and their owners, which Beauty finds out in the beginning?
3. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
4. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
5. What does Tristan admit to himself about the falling out he had with his previous Master, Lord Stefan?
6. How did the Queen's Chronicler parade Tristan through town, causing him to think about whether he should have obeyed his other Master?
7. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
8. Why is Mistress Lockley displeased with Beauty and how does she handle this disobedience?
9. What does Beauty find herself enjoying about the Mistress as they are getting to know each other?
10. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beauty begins to realize she is reacting to pain with pleasure, something she didn't do before.
Part 1: Why might the pain begin to become pleasurable to a person?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses intend for the pain of the slave to become pleasurable?
Part 3: Do you think that the slaves are being trained to interpret pain as pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
The sexual encounters of the slaves are many, with the slave rarely being able to achieve release of orgasm.
Part 1: Why is sexual arousal used in addition to pain in the training of the slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses use sex as a punishment as much as a reward?
Part 3: Do you think the slaves would be as eager to please without the sexual encounters?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the slaves receive more perks than other slaves might during their ownership and training.
Part 1: Do you think it's fair for some of the slaves to get more rewards than other slaves do?
Part 2: How do you think the relationships between the slaves change when they see others getting more rewards?
Part 3: Why do you think owners and other trainers decide to treat some slaves better than others?
This section contains 2,032 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)