|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the bodice of the Mistress Lockley as she was taking Beauty back to the inn?
2. The question that torments Tristan is: Is it not easier to __________ than to choose not to?
3. Beauty sees that Tristan's face is a little __________ than that of most of the men, with strong bones.
4. What is the first thing Tristan sees as he moves into a new room with oil lamps and is told to remain still?
5. The slaves, the Commander thought, never really knew what to expect from their new position, or else they'd never risked the Queen's ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
2. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
3. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
4. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
5. What does Beauty find herself enjoying about the Mistress as they are getting to know each other?
6. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
7. What does the Lord have to say about the pirates' taste in slaves during their raid?
8. Why was Jerard now a slave alongside Tristan, as he explains to him when they are able to communicate?
9. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
10. What does Beauty realize when she is taken to the Court of Eleanor with the Crown Prince?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are called Princes and Princesses, bought and sold into slavery when they are children.
Part 1: Why do you think Princesses and Princes are turned into slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the value of the slaves goes up if they are royalty? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the suffering and humiliation of a Prince or Princess compares to a slave who is not royalty?
Essay Topic 2
Beauty begins to realize she is reacting to pain with pleasure, something she didn't do before.
Part 1: Why might the pain begin to become pleasurable to a person?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses intend for the pain of the slave to become pleasurable?
Part 3: Do you think that the slaves are being trained to interpret pain as pleasure?
Essay Topic 3
Tristan decides that he does not want to obey his Masters, preferring instead to rebel, though he is punished often as a result.
Part 1: Why do you think that Tristan decides to rebel in his training with various Masters?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea for any slave to rebel in their training?
Part 3: How do you think Tristan is being seen in the eyes of his owners and trainers as a result of his disobedience?
This section contains 2,020 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)