|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Beauty become accustomed to the shadows in the room, she realized there were many other ___________ there.
2. There was also a disobedient slave when Beauty was with the Queen. His name was Prince ___________.
3. What was on the sign to designate the shop where silver and gold plating was done?
4. What color are the eyes of the Captain, as Beauty finds out when she looks up into his face?
5. The most magnificent sign was that of the Sign of the __________, as Beauty sees the various signs.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the slaves have been with the Sultan for the time period they have contracted?
2. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
3. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
4. What does Beauty decide to do as she cannot bear to be humiliated anymore by the crowd?
5. What does Tristan ask Nicolas about, in relation to the way slaves should act in their new lives?
6. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
7. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
8. How did the Captain decide to ravage the young Beauty after she pleasured herself in front of him?
9. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
10. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
Essay Topic 2
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
Essay Topic 3
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
This section contains 1,998 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)