|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the people aren't able to buy a slave at the auction, they can go to the _________ to pay for some time with them.
2. The Hall of ____________ was a place that Beauty had to face in her last station as a slave for her Prince.
3. Tristan and Beauty are sent away to a place of ___________ instead of being in the Court.
4. Who is Beauty introduced to when she is brought to the new room by Mistress Lockley?
5. The Commander thinks it would have been a privilege to whip the slaves to press their lips to the Queen's ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the Mistress take into bed with her after the work is done for the day?
2. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
3. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
4. What do the slaves learn about the Sultan and the way that he will treat his slaves?
5. What does Tristan admit to himself about the falling out he had with his previous Master, Lord Stefan?
6. Why was Jerard now a slave alongside Tristan, as he explains to him when they are able to communicate?
7. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
8. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
9. What does the Commander of the Patrol warn the slaves to do as they are being removed from the cart?
10. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 2
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
Essay Topic 3
The sexual encounters of the slaves are many, with the slave rarely being able to achieve release of orgasm.
Part 1: Why is sexual arousal used in addition to pain in the training of the slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the Masters and Mistresses use sex as a punishment as much as a reward?
Part 3: Do you think the slaves would be as eager to please without the sexual encounters?
This section contains 2,052 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)