|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Captain's mouth sucked the ___________ out of Beauty as they made love together for the first time in this section.
2. Tristan tells Beauty, "In the end, they will _________ over us," as they are moving along in the cart.
3. Beauty realizes the slaves are beginning to look normal to her; one cleaned a ______________ on her hands and knees.
4. Beauty was claimed as the Prince's naked ___________ slave to be taken to his Kingdom.
5. What color are the eyes of Nicolas, as Tristan discovers when he is stopped with a new order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
2. What does Beauty decide to do as she cannot bear to be humiliated anymore by the crowd?
3. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
4. What is the slave who is being punished and tortured in the middle of the marketplace forced to do?
5. What does Beauty find herself enjoying about the Mistress as they are getting to know each other?
6. What does Tristan get to do as he is serving Nicolas in the manner described in number #43?
7. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
8. What is the chore the slaves have to perform when they are in the orchard and what rules must they follow?
9. What was Tristan grateful for as he was walked through the town to his new destination?
10. Who is Sleeping Beauty infatuated with when she first wakes up after being asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are called Princes and Princesses, bought and sold into slavery when they are children.
Part 1: Why do you think Princesses and Princes are turned into slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that the value of the slaves goes up if they are royalty? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the suffering and humiliation of a Prince or Princess compares to a slave who is not royalty?
Essay Topic 3
The humiliation the slaves suffer during their lives is palpable in the story, with slaves feeling lower and lower as they are mistreated.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves need to be humiliated in order to become obedient?
Part 2: Why is being humiliated such a painful experience for a slave?
Part 3: How do you think you would change if you were humiliated day after day?
This section contains 2,030 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)