|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mistress is going to spank Beauty _________ so that Beauty will be obedient the entire summer as this will be repeated daily.
2. Beauty almost screamed with ___________ when the dagger is used on and inside of her.
3. Even as he was on the auction block, Tristan thought about Beauty's __________ and questions in his mind.
4. The slaves were now being condemned to hard labor and cruel use by the ___________ people.
5. Beauty began to feel that beatings and paddling were become more ____________ and it seemed strange to her.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
2. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
3. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
4. Why was Tristan told that he had to wear the large phallus when he was first starting his slave training?
5. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
6. What does Beauty decide to do as she cannot bear to be humiliated anymore by the crowd?
7. What is Beauty shocked to see as she is brought to the inn and to her new home as a slave?
8. What does the Mistress Lockley want Tristan to do and she pays ten pence so that it can happen?
9. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
10. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
Essay Topic 2
The slaves are simply objects which can be used and abused for any reason within the story.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners rent out their slaves or give them over to others?
Part 2: Do you think that the slave should be passed from person to person? How does this help/hinder their training?
Part 3: Why do you think that slaves aren't able to stay with just one person during their training?
Essay Topic 3
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
This section contains 2,004 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)