|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the auction block in the new village where the slaves are being taken?
2. Beauty realized that it did not matter if she walked to the the platform and the turntable in ____________.
3. The handle of the dagger was gold and was encrusted with emeralds and _________ as Beauty saw it come toward her.
4. Tristan ended up being sold to Nicolas, the Queen's ______________, when he was at the auction.
5. What was on the sign to designate the shop where silver and gold plating was done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the slaves at the Mistress' inn go about cleaning the floor and the inside of the inn?
2. What do the slaves learn about their new owner and the length of their enslavement?
3. Why was Jerard now a slave alongside Tristan, as he explains to him when they are able to communicate?
4. What does Tristan admit to himself about the falling out he had with his previous Master, Lord Stefan?
5. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
6. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
7. What is the secret that Nicolas reveals to Tristan as they are sitting on a hillside during their trip in the countryside?
8. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
9. What are Tristan and Beauty able to do since they are being jostled about in the cart?
10. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 2
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
Essay Topic 3
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
This section contains 2,032 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)