|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the bodice of the Mistress Lockley as she was taking Beauty back to the inn?
2. The Captain instructs Beauty to always kiss his ___________ when he is at the inn and she is in the room with him.
3. Who does Beauty get to travel with as she is brought to her new place of enslavement?
4. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
5. Tristan is told to hold tight to the ____________ above him as the men are given Nicolas' permission to play with the slave.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
2. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
3. What is the first punishment that Beauty is made to do with the other slaves in the middle of the village?
4. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
5. What do the slaves learn about the Sultan and the way that he will treat his slaves?
6. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
7. Why is Beauty jealous when the Mistress is amusing herself with all of the slaves in the grass?
8. What do the slaves learn about their new owner and the length of their enslavement?
9. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
10. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The differences among the slave owners is vast, as those who own Tristan and Beauty at the end of the book seem to worship the slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think slaves are treated different, depending on their owners?
Part 2: Do you think the slave should be treated differently when they are with different owners? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a slave's knowledge is affected each time they have a new Master or Mistress?
Essay Topic 2
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Essay Topic 3
The auctions have become a bit of public sport for the villagers, causing quite a stir when they occur each year.
Part 1: Why do you think the villagers enjoy the auctions so much?
Part 2: Do you think that the villagers should be allowed to attend the slave auctions?
Part 3: How do you think that slaves feel about having all of the villagers around to see them at the auctions?
This section contains 2,041 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)