|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The way Mistress Lockley ___________ made Beauty interested in her and engaged by her.
2. What was the ordeal that Beauty had to face in her previous station as a slave in the Court?
3. The slave must always enter the house on ______________ without begin told, according to Nicolas.
4. There was also a disobedient slave when Beauty was with the Queen. His name was Prince ___________.
5. The question that torments Tristan is: Is it not easier to __________ than to choose not to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
2. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
3. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
4. What do the slaves have to do in order to get to the auction block in the center of town?
5. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
6. What does the Commander of the Patrol warn the slaves to do as they are being removed from the cart?
7. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
8. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
9. What does Tristan reveal about his relationship with the Lord Stefan when he is talking with Beauty?
10. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
Essay Topic 2
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
Essay Topic 3
The Masters and the Mistresses take things away from the slaves which cause them to be on the same level, i.e. the slaves cannot drink out of goblets.
Part 1: Do you think that the slaves could be treated even more harshly in this story?
Part 2: How does taking away everyday actions and commonplace activities change a slave?
Part 3: Why would the Masters and Mistresses decide to give these small human activities back to the slaves?
This section contains 2,010 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)