Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty is bound up as she is given to her new owner, thinking that it was very clever that she would be led around as though she were a little _________.
2. Tristan realizes he heard a number of kind words of ___________ from his previous Master, though he had still chosen to disobey.
3. Where were the soldiers riding close to so as to make sure they could still reach the slaves to beat them as they traveled?
4. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
5. Beauty began to feel that beatings and paddling were become more ____________ and it seemed strange to her.
Short Essay Questions
1. How must Tristan and the other slaves he is with feed when they are in their stable together?
2. How does Nicolas surprise Tristan when he returns to the bedchamber?
3. What is Tristan forced to do to Nicolas, which surprisingly arouses him as he does so?
4. What does the Lord have to say about the pirates' taste in slaves during their raid?
5. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
6. How is Tristan supposed to enter the house of Nicolas when he is brought there?
7. Why can't the slaves and other people get into the buildings of the village as the chaos breaks out?
8. What is the trouble with Beauty's feelings for the Crown Prince when they are first making love?
9. What does Beauty do when she first sees Nicolas as she is led into his bedchamber by Prince Richard?
10. What does Nicolas do as he passes Tristan in the courtyard, though none of the other slaves seems to notice?
Slaves are punished publicly for the bad deeds they have done, put into the center of town for display.
Part 1: Do you think public punishment is more or less effective than private punishment?
Part 2: Why do you think public punishment is used for slaves who misbehave?
Part 3: How do you think slaves change after they have been publicly punished for bad behaviors?
The objectification of the slaves in this book is difficult for some to read and to understand completely, as this is certainly not 'normal' by modern society's standards.
Part 1: Why do you think that the slaves are objectified during the course of their training and auctioning?
Part 2: What might happen if the slaves were allowed to feel like humans during their time as slaves?
Part 3: How does a person change when they are only judged by what they look like?
Obedience is the primary concern for those who own the slaves or who are using the slaves for a time.
Part 1: Why is obedience an important quality for the slaves to have?
Part 2: Do you think that anyone can be completely obedient? Why or why not
Part 3: Why do you think that the Masters and Mistresses expect perfection from their slaves?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)