|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty realized that it did not matter if she walked to the the platform and the turntable in ____________.
2. What color are the eyes of Nicolas, as Tristan discovers when he is stopped with a new order?
3. Beauty is bound up as she is given to her new owner, thinking that it was very clever that she would be led around as though she were a little _________.
4. What is the first way in which Beauty thinks of her new Mistress as she is being led away from the auction block?
5. The Captain wants her to do something for him: "You will put your __________ between your legs."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mistress Lockley displeased with Beauty and how does she handle this disobedience?
2. What did the Captain order Beauty to do when she entered his room for the first time?
3. What does Tristan have to do as Nicolas is having dinner for a number of hours?
4. What is happening to Tristan as he is instructed to wash each of the slave's genitals with his tongue?
5. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about in relation to their roles as pleasure slaves for their owners?
6. Who is Beauty eventually sold to and for what price during the bidding at the public auction?
7. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
8. What happens after the slaves have been with the Sultan for the time period they have contracted?
9. What does Nicolas ask Tristan if he had learned as Tristan was being paraded through the street?
10. What does the slave who is hanging up do when she realizes Mistress Lockley is coming?
Essay Topic 1
The slaves are treated like animals during the course of their training, made to live in animal conditions.
Part 1: Why do you think the slaves are treated like animals?
Part 2: How do you think the treatment as lesser beings changes the way a slave looks at their Masters or Mistresses?
Part 3: Do you think a slave who was treated more humanely would be as obedient?
Essay Topic 2
In some cases, it seems the owners of the slaves begin to fall in love with their slaves.
Part 1: Why do you think the slave owners are able to fall in love with their slaves?
Part 2: Do you think that these feelings of love are genuine or just based on how they want to feel about their relationship to the slave?
Part 3: How do you think the slaves should feel about being loved by their Masters or Mistresses?
Essay Topic 3
Obedience is the primary concern for those who own the slaves or who are using the slaves for a time.
Part 1: Why is obedience an important quality for the slaves to have?
Part 2: Do you think that anyone can be completely obedient? Why or why not
Part 3: Why do you think that the Masters and Mistresses expect perfection from their slaves?
This section contains 2,018 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)