|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the sometime Mistress of Beauty when she was in the Court as a slave?
2. The slaves, the Commander thought, never really knew what to expect from their new position, or else they'd never risked the Queen's ________.
3. Where did the slaves at the Court sleep, unconcerned for the disobedient ones who were being taken away?
4. The question that torments Tristan is: Is it not easier to __________ than to choose not to?
5. The Mistress wants Beauty to whimper with ___________ for her supper when she gets it and to lick her plate clean.
Short Essay Questions
1. What must the slaves wear in their mouths in order to help control them further during their placement as slaves?
2. Who does the Mistress take into bed with her after the work is done for the day?
3. What are some signs that others in the village seem to think fondly of Tristan and of his role as a slave?
4. What is Beauty surprised to find when she wakes up in the Captain's room in the morning?
5. How did the Queen's Chronicler parade Tristan through town, causing him to think about whether he should have obeyed his other Master?
6. What does Tristan have to do, according to Nicolas, before he can go to see Beauty?
7. What does Tristan get to do as he is serving Nicolas in the manner described in number #43?
8. What do Tristan and Beauty talk about as they are being carried to the auction?
9. What does Tristan have to do as Nicolas is having dinner for a number of hours?
10. When are the slaves not ignored by the villagers, according to the observations of Beauty as she walks through town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The many rules that the slaves have to follow cause them to be completely degraded and controlled.
Part 1: What is the goal of the training of these slaves?
Part 2: How do you think the rules help/hurt the training of a slave?
Part 3: Why do you think that there are so many rules for the slaves to follow in their time with their owners?
Essay Topic 2
Sleeping Beauty is a slave from the moment this book starts to the end, which is a situation few could ever understand.
Part 1: Why do you think that Beauty seems to have come to peace with her role as a slave?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if someone were to take you on as a slave?
Part 3: Do you think that some people are born to be slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the slaves receive more perks than other slaves might during their ownership and training.
Part 1: Do you think it's fair for some of the slaves to get more rewards than other slaves do?
Part 2: How do you think the relationships between the slaves change when they see others getting more rewards?
Part 3: Why do you think owners and other trainers decide to treat some slaves better than others?
This section contains 2,038 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)