|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described by Lena in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems" as “only the book that had destroyed our lives, and the lives of all the Casters in my family before me on our sixteenth birthdays”?
2. What is Amma cooking as Lena rushes from Wate’s Landing in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
3. Who is described in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems" as wearing a rumpled white suit and string tie and as “Satan himself, at least as far as Gatlin County was concerned”?
4. The narrator says in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle,” “John collected powers the way Abraham collected” what?
5. What does Link stab Abraham with in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Lena and her friends go for help when The Book of Moons stays on the grave?
2. What creature attempts to take The Book of Moons in Chapter 25: “Death’s Door”? What happens?
3. How does the narrative perspective change in Book Two: “Lena”? What are Lena and her friends doing in the opening of Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
4. What does Lena consider about Aunt Del’s abilities in Chapter 29: "The Hands of the Dead"?
5. What dangers are presented with Abraham’s appearance in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
6. How does Amma arrange the Casters and Mortals for the ritual that takes place at the end of Chapter 29: "The Hands of the Dead"?
7. How do Lena and her friends decide to find The Book of Moons in Chapter 20: "A Deal with the Devil"? Who is said to be in possession of the book?
8. Who does Lena discover in the hidden room above the bar in New Orleans? Why is this character there?
9. How does Abraham meet his demise in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
10. What is the central question of dispute among Lena and her friends in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the changing nature of Ravenwood Manor. How has the interior of the house appeared differently on the different occasions when Ethan has entered it? What changes the appearance? How does it appear at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Lila Wate in the novel. In what ways does Ethan’s mother help him in his quest? How does Ethan feel about leaving his mother behind in the Otherworld?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Abraham in the novel. What is Abraham’s relationship to Lena and Macon? Who accompanies Abraham when he appears? How does Abraham die?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)