|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Amma cooking as Lena rushes from Wate’s Landing in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
2. Who says in Chapter 20: "A Deal with the Devil,” “I’m the one thing Abraham wants. And the only thing he can’t have”?
3. During their extravagant dinner in Ravenwood Manor, Macon says to Lena that the spread is “a tantalizing table of treason” as who would say?
4. Lena says in Chapter 21: "Dark Side of the Moon" that when she and John leave for New Orleans, she believes she’ll have how much time before her uncle finds out and comes looking for her?
5. What is the name that Link’s car is called in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What creature attempts to take The Book of Moons in Chapter 25: “Death’s Door”? What happens?
2. Where do Lena and her friends go for help when The Book of Moons stays on the grave?
3. What objective and obstacles does Lena face once she’s obtained The Book of Moons in Chapter 25: "Death's Door"?
4. What does Lena consider about Aunt Del’s abilities in Chapter 29: "The Hands of the Dead"?
5. How does the narrative perspective change in Book Two: “Lena”? What are Lena and her friends doing in the opening of Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
6. What dangers are presented with Abraham’s appearance in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
7. What is the central question of dispute among Lena and her friends in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
8. What decision do Lena and her friends make regarding their quest for the book in Chapter 23: "Dar-ee Keen"?
9. Where have Lena’s family members been on vacation? What does she suspect has brought them home in Chapter 27: “The Cracks in Everything”?
10. How do Lena and her friends decide to find The Book of Moons in Chapter 20: "A Deal with the Devil"? Who is said to be in possession of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Xavier in the novel. Where does Ethan first meet Xavier? Why is Xavier being punished? How is he being punished?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Charlie, the River Master. How is Charlie described physically? What is his attitude like? Whom does Charlie describe as his lost love?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of Lila Wate in the novel. In what ways does Ethan’s mother help him in his quest? How does Ethan feel about leaving his mother behind in the Otherworld?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)