|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Abraham when he appears in the cemetery in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
2. What is the name of the mountain cat that guards the book at the gravesite along with Macon’s wolfdog in Chapter 25: "Death's Door"?
3. Who is the “creepy bald guy” that Abraham is said to be having secret meetings with frequently in Chapter 23: "Dar-ee Keen"?
4. What is the name of Liv’s boyfriend who is with her in Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
5. Lena says in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle,” “Sarafine was a monster, but she was a monster Abraham” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Amma in the novel. What is Amma’s relationship to Ethan and Lena?
2. What decision do Lena and her friends make regarding their quest for the book in Chapter 23: "Dar-ee Keen"?
3. How does Abraham meet his demise in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
4. How does Amma arrange the Casters and Mortals for the ritual that takes place at the end of Chapter 29: "The Hands of the Dead"?
5. How does Amma respond when she first encounters Macon Ravenwood in Chapter 29: "The Hands of the Dead"?
6. How do Lena and the others learn the location where The Book of Moons may be located in Chapter 20: "A Deal with the Devil"?
7. What dangers are presented with Abraham’s appearance in Chapter 24: "The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"?
8. Why and how does Amma show apprehension regarding Ridley in Chapter 27: "The Cracks in Everything"?
9. How does the narrative perspective change in Book Two: “Lena”? What are Lena and her friends doing in the opening of Chapter 19: "Mortal Problems"?
10. Who does Lena discover in the hidden room above the bar in New Orleans? Why is this character there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “literary allusion” and discuss the examples of allusion in the novel. From what classic work is the character Boo Radley named? What book is said to be Lena’s favorite? How does Marian relate to literary allusion in the narrative? How do the literary allusions serve to heighten the experience for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Ethan Wate in Beautiful Redemption. How old is Ethan? What can you tell about his character based on his narrative style and comments about the Otherworld? How does Ethan change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Mercy, Prudence, and Grace and their role in the novel. What is Ethan’s relationship like with his aunts? What information do Lena and Ethan gain from the Sisters? How do they help him in his quest?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)