|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ethan says that after his mother’s death, Marian told him about a Buddhist class she took where in Chapter 1: "Home"?
2. What is the name of the Gatlin cemetery that Ethan sees when he opens the door of the house in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
3. What is the answer to the clue Ethan puts in the crossword puzzle for six down: “As in, parochial. Local. Insular. The place we’re stuck, whether in the Otherworld or the Mortal one” in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
4. Ethan says in Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’,” “Getting Aunt Prue to say the one thing you wanted her to say, right when you wanted her to say it, was like thinking you could” what?
5. Who is waiting for Ethan and his mother when they return to the land of the dead in Chapter 10: "Snake Eyes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ethan’s first message that he sends to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
2. How does Ethan respond when he learns that Obidias wrote his page in The Caster Chronicles?
3. How does Ethan go about communicating with Lena in Chapter 12: "Still Here"?
4. What does Ethan witness when he first sees Lena in the Mortal world of Gatlin in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"? How does he communicate with her?
5. What conflict takes place between Lila Wate and Aunt Prue in the beginning of Chapter 10: “Snake Eyes”?
6. How is Beautiful Redemption structured? How are the sections of the book delineated and who narrates?
7. To what character does Ethan turn to for help in his quest after leaving his mother’s home in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"? Where does this character live?
8. Where is Ethan when he awakens in the opening of Chapter 1: "Home"? What does he realize about his situation?
9. How is the River Master described in Chapter 15: "The River Master"? What is he doing when Ethan arrives?
10. How is Ethan’s journey described once he’s crossed the river in Part One: “Ethan”? Who does he encounter after the River Master?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various supernatural powers that exist within Lena’s family. What are the names of the different “species” of Casters that Lena describes? Which are more or less powerful? How many Light Casters versus Dark Casters are in the family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Greenbrier in the novel. Where is this plantation in relation to Wate’s Landing and Ravenwood Manor? What is the history of Greenbrier? Who is buried on the Greenbrier grounds?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Ethan Wate in Beautiful Redemption. How old is Ethan? What can you tell about his character based on his narrative style and comments about the Otherworld? How does Ethan change in the course of the story?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)