|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair is Genevieve described as having in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
2. What’s the name of the cat that comes into the kitchen and sees Ethan in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
3. By what name does Amma’s grandmother call her in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles"?
4. Who speaks to Ethan as he tries to find his way to Lena, saying “Whatcha doin’ there, boy?” in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
5. Who is waiting for Ethan and his mother when they return to the land of the dead in Chapter 10: "Snake Eyes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is related in the Prologue: “Beginning Again? What tone is established in this opening?
2. How are Katherine Cooper and Samuel Sewell described in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"?
3. How is Beautiful Redemption structured? How are the sections of the book delineated and who narrates?
4. Who among the Mortals in Gatlin is unaware of Ethan’s death in the beginning of the novel? How has Ethan’s death remained hidden?
5. What are Twyla and Sulla doing when Ethan encounters them in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"? Who are these characters?
6. How does Ethan go about communicating with Lena in Chapter 12: "Still Here"?
7. What plot does Ethan instigate in order to send messages to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
8. What does Ethan obtain from the Greats when he visits them in the Otherworld in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"?
9. What does Obidias tell Ethan he will need in order to get to The Caster Chronicles?
10. How does Ethan respond when he learns that Obidias wrote his page in The Caster Chronicles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “literary allusion” and discuss the examples of allusion in the novel. From what classic work is the character Boo Radley named? What book is said to be Lena’s favorite? How does Marian relate to literary allusion in the narrative? How do the literary allusions serve to heighten the experience for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Abraham in the novel. What is Abraham’s relationship to Lena and Macon? Who accompanies Abraham when he appears? How does Abraham die?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the various supernatural powers that exist within Lena’s family. What are the names of the different “species” of Casters that Lena describes? Which are more or less powerful? How many Light Casters versus Dark Casters are in the family?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)