|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ethan said to be in Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
2. What word is written on the sheet of notebook paper that Lena leaves on Ethan’s grave in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
3. Aunt Prue says she gave Lena what object so that she could stay in contact with her in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
4. What book by Jack Kerouac does Ethan pull from the pile of books under his bed in Chapter 1: "Home"?
5. Who was the teacher of Marian’s Buddhist class she has told Ethan about in Chapter 1: "Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what character does Ethan turn to for help in his quest after leaving his mother’s home in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"? Where does this character live?
2. What information is related in the Prologue: “Beginning Again? What tone is established in this opening?
3. How long has it been since Ethan has seen his mother? How does he feel about their reunion in Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
4. How is Beautiful Redemption structured? How are the sections of the book delineated and who narrates?
5. What does Obidias tell Ethan he will need in order to get to The Caster Chronicles?
6. Who among the Mortals in Gatlin is unaware of Ethan’s death in the beginning of the novel? How has Ethan’s death remained hidden?
7. How is the River Master described in Chapter 15: "The River Master"? What is he doing when Ethan arrives?
8. How is Ethan’s journey described once he’s crossed the river in Part One: “Ethan”? Who does he encounter after the River Master?
9. What plot does Ethan instigate in order to send messages to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
10. What are Twyla and Sulla doing when Ethan encounters them in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"? Who are these characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Xavier in the novel. Where does Ethan first meet Xavier? Why is Xavier being punished? How is he being punished?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character of Ridley Duchannes in the novel. How old is Ridley? How is she related to Lena? What appears to be Ridley’s relationship with her family? What are Ridley’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the family dynamic within the Wate household. What is Amma’s role within the family? How long has Amma been with the family? How long ago did Ethan’s mother die, and how did she die? How does the Wate family compare with the Duchannes family?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)