|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the answer to the clue Ethan puts in the crossword puzzle: “As in, endless, without stopping, forever. The way you feel about a certain girl, whether you’re dead or alive” in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
2. What Celtic symbol adorns Ethan’s mother’s grave in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
3. What is the name of the newspaper Ethan’s mom says she repeatedly tried to get him to write for in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
4. In what book does Ethan describe a sock sticking out as a bookmark in Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
5. Where in Ravenwood Manor is Ethan standing when he opens his eyes in the beginning of Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what character does Ethan turn to for help in his quest after leaving his mother’s home in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"? Where does this character live?
2. What is Ethan’s first message that he sends to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
3. How does Ethan's mother feel about her son's journey in Chapter 14: "Messed-Up Things"?
4. How are Katherine Cooper and Samuel Sewell described in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"?
5. How is Beautiful Redemption structured? How are the sections of the book delineated and who narrates?
6. How does Ethan respond when he learns that Obidias wrote his page in The Caster Chronicles?
7. Where is Ethan when he awakens in the opening of Chapter 1: "Home"? What does he realize about his situation?
8. What are Twyla and Sulla doing when Ethan encounters them in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"? Who are these characters?
9. What plot does Ethan instigate in order to send messages to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
10. Who among the Mortals in Gatlin is unaware of Ethan’s death in the beginning of the novel? How has Ethan’s death remained hidden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Ridley Duchannes in the novel. How old is Ridley? How is she related to Lena? What appears to be Ridley’s relationship with her family? What are Ridley’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Xavier in the novel. Where does Ethan first meet Xavier? Why is Xavier being punished? How is he being punished?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Genevieve in the novel. How is Genevieve related to Lena? What is the story of her relationship with Ethan Carter Wate? How do Genevieve’s actions influence the story?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)