|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What route does Ethan instinctively look for as he heads toward Main Street in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(a) Route 66
(b) Route 7
(c) Route 18
(d) Route 9
2. Who is described in the newspaper as having won the Carolina Duck-Calling contest in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
(a) Peter Jackson
(b) James Wyatt
(c) Bud Clayton
(d) Barclay Deacon
3. What object does Lena take out in Chapter 6: "Silver Button" that Ethan recalls giving her not long ago on the water tower?
(a) A Sharpie pen
(b) A mixed tape
(c) A book of casts
(d) A Bible
4. Where does Genevieve say they took Ethan Carter Wate in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
(a) To the River Styx
(b) To the Far Keep
(c) To the Mortal realm
(d) To the mouth of Sauron
5. In the prologue to the book, “Beginning Again,” Lena reveals that Ethan was killed when he jumped off of what?
(a) The canoe on the River Styx
(b) The Summerville water tower
(c) The Gatlin River bridge
(d) The Empire State building
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Gatlin cemetery that Ethan sees when he opens the door of the house in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
2. What has Amma sprinkled along the windowsills to keep spirits out in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
3. Ethan says in Chapter 6: "Silver Button,” “I was brought up to be” what?
4. What does Ethan take from Aunt Prue’s hands before leaving her house as she sleeps in Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’”?
5. As Ethan sits outside of Wate’s Landing in Chapter 7: "Crosswords,” he wonders if his father is working on his book about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Otherworld arranged in terms of where the inhabitants exist? How are the houses described?
2. What does Obidias tell Ethan he will need in order to get to The Caster Chronicles?
3. How are Katherine Cooper and Samuel Sewell described in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"?
4. To what character does Ethan turn to for help in his quest after leaving his mother’s home in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"? Where does this character live?
5. How does Ethan go about communicating with Lena in Chapter 12: "Still Here"?
6. What does Ethan witness when he first sees Lena in the Mortal world of Gatlin in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"? How does he communicate with her?
7. How does Ethan respond when he learns that Obidias wrote his page in The Caster Chronicles?
8. What does Ethan obtain from the Greats when he visits them in the Otherworld in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"?
9. What are Twyla and Sulla doing when Ethan encounters them in Chapter 13: "Where the Crow Carries You"? Who are these characters?
10. What information is related in the Prologue: “Beginning Again? What tone is established in this opening?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)