|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks to Ethan as he tries to find his way to Lena, saying “Whatcha doin’ there, boy?” in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(c) Mrs. Winifred
(d) Mrs. Lincoln
2. What word is used in the novel to describe when the characters are telepathically communicating?
3. How many husbands does Aunt Prue have living in her home with her in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
4. What Celtic symbol adorns Ethan’s mother’s grave in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
5. Who tells Ethan that he must destroy his page from the Caster Chronicles in order to attain his objective in Chapter 10: "Snake Eyes"?
(b) Uncle Barclay
(c) Bud Clayton
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to Ethan’s grave with Lena in Chapter 6: “Silver Button”?
2. What has Amma sprinkled along the windowsills to keep spirits out in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
3. At the newspaper office, Ethan and his mother read in the papers that “the Ladies Auxiliary of Gatlin County is starting a book club called” what, in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
4. What kind of dogs does Aunt Prue have running around her ankles in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
5. In Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’,” Aunt Prue tells Ethan, “you can’t make preserves until you learn how to” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the River Master described in Chapter 15: "The River Master"? What is he doing when Ethan arrives?
2. How is the Otherworld arranged in terms of where the inhabitants exist? How are the houses described?
3. How is Ethan’s journey described once he’s crossed the river in Part One: “Ethan”? Who does he encounter after the River Master?
4. How does Ethan respond when he learns that Obidias wrote his page in The Caster Chronicles?
5. What does Obidias tell Ethan he will need in order to get to The Caster Chronicles?
6. Who among the Mortals in Gatlin is unaware of Ethan’s death in the beginning of the novel? How has Ethan’s death remained hidden?
7. What plot does Ethan instigate in order to send messages to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
8. What is Ethan’s first message that he sends to Lena in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
9. To what character does Ethan turn to for help in his quest after leaving his mother’s home in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"? Where does this character live?
10. How is Beautiful Redemption structured? How are the sections of the book delineated and who narrates?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)