|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what book does Ethan describe a sock sticking out as a bookmark in Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
(a) Don Juan
(b) The Divine Comedy
(c) The Lord of the Rings
2. Who was the teacher of Marian’s Buddhist class she has told Ethan about in Chapter 1: "Home"?
(a) Buddha Bob
(b) The Big Lebowski
(c) Serenity Steve
(d) The Dude
3. What is the name of the aunt that Amma says Ethan is with in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles"?
4. What has Amma sprinkled along the windowsills to keep spirits out in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
(c) Baking soda
5. What follows “Prudence Jane Statham” on her gravestone, as described in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(a) Go Softly into the Dark Night
(b) The Best Baker in Gatlin
(c) May She Rest in Peace
(d) The Belle of the Ball
6. What word is used in the novel to describe when the characters are telepathically communicating?
7. What are stacked in the middle of Lena’s room in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
(b) Casting books
(c) Old photographs
(d) Poetry books
8. What route does Ethan instinctively look for as he heads toward Main Street in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(a) Route 66
(b) Route 18
(c) Route 9
(d) Route 7
9. What is the name of the Gatlin cemetery that Ethan sees when he opens the door of the house in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(a) St. Augustine’s Gardens of Time
(b) His Garden of Perpetual Peace
(c) The Greenbrier Garden of Peace
(d) Her Lady of the Silver Moon
10. How many husbands does Aunt Prue have living in her home with her in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
11. What title does Ethan say his mother had in Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
(a) A Caster
(b) A Keeper
(c) A Natural
(d) A Shifter
12. In Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’,” Aunt Prue tells Ethan, “you can’t make preserves until you learn how to” what?
(a) Pick berries
(b) Boil water
(c) Turn on the oven
(d) Open a jar
13. What word is written on the sheet of notebook paper that Lena leaves on Ethan’s grave in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
14. What are the cards called that Amma’s grandmother reads in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles"?
(a) The Cards of Palimpset
(b) The Cards of Providence
(c) The Cards of the Tarot
(d) The Cards of Chaos
15. In the prologue to the book, “Beginning Again,” Lena reveals that Ethan was killed when he jumped off of what?
(a) The Gatlin River bridge
(b) The Empire State building
(c) The canoe on the River Styx
(d) The Summerville water tower
Short Answer Questions
1. What book by Jack Kerouac does Ethan pull from the pile of books under his bed in Chapter 1: "Home"?
2. Who is waiting for Ethan and his mother when they return to the land of the dead in Chapter 10: "Snake Eyes"?
3. What color hair is Genevieve described as having in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
4. What Celtic symbol adorns Ethan’s mother’s grave in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
5. When Ethan opens the bottle in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles" and the narrative transitions to Amma’s childhood, what is Amma’s great-great-great grandmother called?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)