|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan says in Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’,” “Getting Aunt Prue to say the one thing you wanted her to say, right when you wanted her to say it, was like thinking you could” what?
(a) Go back in time and change the past
(b) Catch a catfish at sea
(c) Stop time
(d) Ask the sun to shine
2. By what name does Amma’s grandmother call her in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles"?
3. What has Amma sprinkled along the windowsills to keep spirits out in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
(d) Baking soda
4. What are draped over the windows and mirrors of Ravenwood Manor in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
(a) Gold sheets
(b) Black sheets
(c) Winter blankets
(d) White sheets
5. What kind of car is Ethan’s father driving when he arrives home in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
(a) A Ford
(b) A Jeep
(c) A Volvo
(d) A Chrysler
6. What is Ethan’s mother’s name in the novel?
(a) Sarafine Wate
(b) Lila Evers Wate
(c) Mercy Wate
(d) Ridley Wate
7. What does Ethan smell in Amma’s kitchen when he enters Wate’s Landing in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
(a) Chicken and dumplings
(b) Roast chicken
(c) Barbeque pork
(d) Beef pot roast
8. Ethan says in Chapter 6: "Silver Button,” “I was brought up to be” what?
(a) A noble and honest man
(b) A Wayward
(c) A good Southern boy
(d) A well-read scholar
9. What is Ethan’s middle name?
10. What do the words “la note che le cose ci nasconde” that Ethan’s mother recites in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next" translate to?
(a) Follow the Wayward’s path to the moon
(b) Go quietly into the dark night
(c) The night that hides things from us
(d) The book is looking over your shoulder
11. In Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes,” Ethan’s mother says that Amma has told Ethan’s father that he is where with his aunt?
(b) New Orleans
(d) New York
12. What color hair is Genevieve described as having in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
13. What are stacked in the middle of Lena’s room in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
(a) Poetry books
(c) Old photographs
(d) Casting books
14. What kind of dogs does Aunt Prue have running around her ankles in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(b) Boston terriers
(c) Yorkshire terriers
15. When Ethan opens the bottle in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles" and the narrative transitions to Amma’s childhood, what is Amma’s great-great-great grandmother called?
(a) Sarafine the Shifter
(b) Sulla the Prophet
(c) Paula the Palimpset
(d) Del the Delinquent
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Lena take out in Chapter 6: "Silver Button" that Ethan recalls giving her not long ago on the water tower?
2. When Ethan awakens in Chapter 1: "Home,” he is in his old bedroom at what estate?
3. Where does Genevieve say they took Ethan Carter Wate in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
4. What is the name of the newspaper Ethan’s mom says she repeatedly tried to get him to write for in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
5. Who is waiting for Ethan and his mother when they return to the land of the dead in Chapter 10: "Snake Eyes"?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)