|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ethan says in Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’,” “Getting Aunt Prue to say the one thing you wanted her to say, right when you wanted her to say it, was like thinking you could” what?
(a) Catch a catfish at sea
(b) Go back in time and change the past
(c) Ask the sun to shine
(d) Stop time
2. What card does Ethan refer to as his card in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles"?
(a) The Dark Knight
(b) The Fractured Soul
(c) The Death Card
(d) The White Mortal
3. What does Ethan take from Aunt Prue’s hands before leaving her house as she sleeps in Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’”?
(a) A book
(b) A ring
(c) A key
(d) A map
4. What are the cards called that Amma’s grandmother reads in Chapter 8: "Broken Bottles"?
(a) The Cards of Chaos
(b) The Cards of the Tarot
(c) The Cards of Providence
(d) The Cards of Palimpset
5. Where does Aunt Prue tell Ethan his body was buried in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
(a) His Garden of Perpetual Peace
(b) Her Lady of the Silver Moon
(c) Wate’s Landing
6. What book by Jack Kerouac does Ethan pull from the pile of books under his bed in Chapter 1: "Home"?
(a) Dharma Bums
(b) Big Sur
(c) Visions of Cody
(d) On the Road
7. In the prologue to the book, “Beginning Again,” Lena reveals that Ethan was killed when he jumped off of what?
(a) The Summerville water tower
(b) The canoe on the River Styx
(c) The Gatlin River bridge
(d) The Empire State building
8. What is Ethan’s mother’s name in the novel?
(a) Lila Evers Wate
(b) Ridley Wate
(c) Sarafine Wate
(d) Mercy Wate
9. What color hair is Genevieve described as having in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
10. What are the songs called that Ethan’s mother says she sent him in Chapter 2: "Fried Green Tomatoes"?
(a) The Shadowing Songs
(b) The Psalm Songs
(c) The Sun Songs
(d) The Moon Songs
11. What has Amma sprinkled along the windowsills to keep spirits out in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
(b) Baking soda
12. In Chapter 4: “Catfish Crossin’,” Aunt Prue tells Ethan, “you can’t make preserves until you learn how to” what?
(a) Open a jar
(b) Pick berries
(c) Boil water
(d) Turn on the oven
13. What does Ethan smell in Amma’s kitchen when he enters Wate’s Landing in Chapter 7: "Crosswords"?
(a) Beef pot roast
(b) Roast chicken
(c) Barbeque pork
(d) Chicken and dumplings
14. What are draped over the windows and mirrors of Ravenwood Manor in Chapter 6: "Silver Button"?
(a) Black sheets
(b) Gold sheets
(c) Winter blankets
(d) White sheets
15. When Ethan awakens in Chapter 1: "Home,” he is in his old bedroom at what estate?
(a) Ravenwood Manor
(b) His Garden of Perpetual Peace
(d) Wate’s Landing
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used in the novel to describe when the characters are telepathically communicating?
2. Who is waiting for Ethan and his mother when they return to the land of the dead in Chapter 10: "Snake Eyes"?
3. Who goes to Ethan’s grave with Lena in Chapter 6: “Silver Button”?
4. What is the name of the Gatlin cemetery that Ethan sees when he opens the door of the house in Chapter 3: "This Side or the Next"?
5. Who is described in the newspaper as having won the Carolina Duck-Calling contest in Chapter 9: "Stars and Stripes"?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)