|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do when Edith and F. are busy in Chapter 44?
2. What does Catherine's best friend say human tastes like?
3. How does F. describe the love triangle of himself, Edith, and the narrator in "A Long Letter from F."?
4. Who does F.say he dedicates most of his life to in "A Long Letter from F."?
5. What is the narrator singing in F.'s tree house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first miraculous event to have occurred after Catherine's death?
2. What is Catherine's ailing uncle's final request of the women in the village?
3. What is Catherine's uncle's request of Catherine before he dies?
4. Where does the narrator go when he leaves his apartment in Chapter 45 of "A History of Them All"? What does he think about there?
5. What does F. fear he did to the narrator in "A Long Letter from F"?
6. What does Catherine's mistress and priest try to convince her of when she gets upriver?
7. What does the Argentine waiter do with Edith and F. at the hotel in "A Long Letter from F"?
8. What happens to Catherine after her uncle makes one of his final requests before he dies?
9. Who is Catherine's best friend at the village? From what does she suffer?
10. Where does Catherine travel to in "A Long Letter from F"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the state of the narrator at the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he make any progression? If so, explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the behavior of the narrator in F.'s tree house and compare it to his behavior in the apartment. How does the wilderness seem to tame the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the disruption that Catherine's conversion to Catholicism and the spilling of red wine bring among the Jesuits and members of the A---- tribe.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)