|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does F. use to bring Edith to her maximum orgasm in "A Long Letter from F."?
2. What does the narrator wish F. had left him instead of his possessions?
3. Who interrupts Edith and F. from their intimacy in "A Long Letter from F."?
4. Whom does the narrator pray to in Chapter 52 of "A History of Them All"?
5. Who makes a rosary in Catherine's honor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's ailing uncle's final request of the women in the village?
2. Where does the narrator go when he leaves his apartment in Chapter 45 of "A History of Them All"? What does he think about there?
3. What does the Argentine waiter do with Edith and F. at the hotel in "A Long Letter from F"?
4. What happens to Catherine when she takes her oath of chastity?
5. What does Catherine's mistress and priest try to convince her of when she gets upriver?
6. What does F. tell the narrator when he visits him in a dream in Chapter 50 of "The History of Them All"?
7. Who is Catherine's best friend at the village? From what does she suffer?
8. How does the narrator react to the appearance of F. in his dream?
9. What is Catherine's uncle's request of Catherine before he dies?
10. How does the experience with the woman who pleasures the narrator at the protest end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the literal and physical state in which the narrator lives is like his own hell? What motifs recur to make this connection?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the self-mortification of Catherine and her best friend Tegaigenta.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the scene where the narrator finds Edith's holy water and when the narrator finds out about the emotional intimacy Edith and F. share.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)