|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does F.say he dedicates most of his life to in "A Long Letter from F."?
2. What is asked of Catherine in Chapter 45 of "A History of Them All"?
3. Who is dying in Chapter 46 of "A History of Them All"?
4. Which of the following is not mentioned as a part of the book given to the narrator by F. in Chapter 52 of "A History of Them All"?
5. What happens in the uncle's tent at the end of Chapter 49 of "A History of Them All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does F. tell the narrator when he visits him in a dream in Chapter 50 of "The History of Them All"?
2. Where do Claude and Pierre think Catherine should be buried? Where is she buried?
3. Who is Catherine's best friend at the village? From what does she suffer?
4. What happens to Catherine when she takes her oath of chastity?
5. What happens to Catherine after her uncle makes one of his final requests before he dies?
6. What is Catherine's ailing uncle's final request of the women in the village?
7. What is the first miraculous event to have occurred after Catherine's death?
8. What does the narrator do in Chapter 52 at the end of "The History of Them All"?
9. Where does the narrator go when he leaves his apartment in Chapter 45 of "A History of Them All"? What does he think about there?
10. What does Catherine's mistress and priest try to convince her of when she gets upriver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the possibility that F. is an alter ego of the narrator. Explain how this would change the context of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the guilt of Tegaigenta over her husband's death and the guilt that F. feels from immunizing the narrator from passion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the old man and the half naked woman. Who are they? What is their purpose?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)