|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the condition the priest gives Catherine in Chapter 37 of "A History of Them All"?
2. Who replaces the local priest in Chapter 35 of "A History of Them All"?
3. What does the narrator mention about Edith's assertion as she was being raped by a group of men?
4. Who is Catherine Tekakwitha?
5. What does the narrator say about F.'s personality in Chapter 14 of "A History of Them All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the telephone game.
2. Why does the narrator call the DJ on the radio in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
3. What has happened to the condition of the narrator by Chapter 25 in "The History of Them All"?
4. What motivates the narrator to turn to Catherine Tekakwitha when he is in agony over the deaths of F. and Edith?
5. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
6. What happened to the narrator at school when he was a child?
7. What was the purpose of the note that F. left the narrator in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
8. How is Chapter 10 in "The History of Them All" a symbol of how the narrator is becoming more like F.?
9. What does the narrator begin to fear about what is happening to him in Chapter 14 of "A History of Them All" ?
10. Describe how F. and Edith die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the disruption that Catherine's conversion to Catholicism and the spilling of red wine bring among the Jesuits and members of the A---- tribe.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the suffrage of constipation and depression the narrator is undergoing. How is this motif repeated throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the intimacy of F. and Edith and the intimacy of the men and women of the tribe.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)