|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15 of "A History of Them All," what does the narrator describe about Catherine Tekakwitha's family?
2. What does F. admit about the near death experience in the car?
3. What happens to make Catherine flee to the forest in Chapter 16 of "A History of Them All"?
4. How does Edith die?
5. What does the note the narrator finds in F.'s fireworks instruct him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the uncle feel about his tribe by the middle of the novel?
2. What does the narrator begin to fear about what is happening to him in Chapter 14 of "A History of Them All" ?
3. Describe how Catherine Tekakwitha desires to be baptized.
4. What does the narrator say is proof that he and Edith loved each other in Chapter 25 of "The History of Them All"?
5. What is significant about what F. gives to the narrator in Chapter 17 of "The History of Them All"?
6. What happened to the narrator at school when he was a child?
7. What does the narrator describe that happened to Catherine in 1664?
8. What does the narrator remember about Edith in Chapter 7 of "The History of Them All"?
9. Why does the narrator call the DJ on the radio in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
10. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the possibility that F. is an alter ego of the narrator. Explain how this would change the context of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the old man and the half naked woman. Who are they? What is their purpose?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the literal and physical state in which the narrator lives is like his own hell? What motifs recur to make this connection?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)