|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does the narrator turn for his salvation?
2. What do F. and the narrator eat in Chapter 18 of "A History of Them All"?
3. What does the narrator recall about Edith in Chapter 20 of "A History of Them All"?
4. What has happened to the narrator's bowels by Chapter 13 of "A History of Them All"?
5. What covers the narrator's apartment in Chapter 24 of "A History of Them All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator burn himself with repeatedly in Chapter 24 of "A History of Them All"? Why is it significant?
2. What does the narrator describe that happened to Catherine in 1664?
3. Explain how the Iroquois tribe lives and why it was deemed inappropriate by the French missionaries.
4. Describe the telephone game.
5. How does the uncle feel about his tribe by the middle of the novel?
6. Describe how Catherine Tekakwitha desires to be baptized.
7. What does F. buy in Chapter 14 of "The History of Them All"?
8. Why does the narrator call the DJ on the radio in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
9. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
10. How is Chapter 10 in "The History of Them All" a symbol of how the narrator is becoming more like F.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Cohen decides to use the female private part of Mary Voolnd as a means of communication between the living and the dead.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the state of the narrator at the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he make any progression? If so, explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the guilt of Tegaigenta over her husband's death and the guilt that F. feels from immunizing the narrator from passion.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)