|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine spill at the French banquet?
2. Who does the narrator relate his own mindset to in Chapter 35 of "A History of Them All"?
3. What does Catherine cry out as she is being massaged?
4. What does the narrator think about in Chapter 40 of "A History of Them All" in regard to what F. said to him?
5. What does the narrator tell Edith in Chapter 41 of "A History of Them All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator remember about Edith in Chapter 7 of "The History of Them All"?
2. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
3. What does the narrator begin to fear about what is happening to him in Chapter 14 of "A History of Them All" ?
4. What is significant about what F. gives to the narrator in Chapter 17 of "The History of Them All"?
5. What role does F. play in the love triangle of Edith, the narrator, and himself?
6. What does the narrator say is proof that he and Edith loved each other in Chapter 25 of "The History of Them All"?
7. What motivates the narrator to turn to Catherine Tekakwitha when he is in agony over the deaths of F. and Edith?
8. What does the narrator read about that depresses him so much?
9. How does the narrator feel about the group of men who raped Edith?
10. How is Chapter 10 in "The History of Them All" a symbol of how the narrator is becoming more like F.?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what the "telephone game" is and why is this knowledge significant to the narrator.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the intimacy of F. and Edith and the intimacy of the men and women of the tribe.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the possibility that F. is an alter ego of the narrator. Explain how this would change the context of the novel.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)