|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to the narrator's bowels by Chapter 13 of "A History of Them All"?
2. How does the narrator react to learning what the telephone game is in Chapter 12 of "A History of Them All"?
3. What does the narrator yearn for in Chapter 33 of "A History of Them All"?
4. What does F. say the glancing kisses from Edith to the narrator are in Chapter 12 of "A History of Them All"?
5. The narrator recalls F. painting a Greek acropolis with ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the telephone game.
2. Describe the world in which the narrator lives in the novel.
3. What does the narrator remember about Edith in Chapter 7 of "The History of Them All"?
4. How is the red wine spilling on the table cloth disruptive like Catherine's own presence?
5. How is Chapter 10 in "The History of Them All" a symbol of how the narrator is becoming more like F.?
6. What does F. buy in Chapter 14 of "The History of Them All"?
7. What does the narrator read about that depresses him so much?
8. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
9. What does the narrator say is proof that he and Edith loved each other in Chapter 25 of "The History of Them All"?
10. Describe how F. and Edith die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the self-mortification of Catherine and her best friend Tegaigenta.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Cohen decides to use the female private part of Mary Voolnd as a means of communication between the living and the dead.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the state of the narrator at the beginning of the novel to the end. Does he make any progression? If so, explain.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)