|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does F. purchase from his previous employer in Chapter 14 of "A History of Them All"?
2. The narrator recalls F. painting a Greek acropolis with ___________________.
3. What does the narrator recall F. saying in Chapter 4 of "A History of Them All"?
4. What does the priest tell Catherine in Chapter 37 of "A History of Them All"?
5. Who cannot find Catherine as she flees to the forest in Chapter 16 of "A History of Them All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does F. play in the love triangle of Edith, the narrator, and himself?
2. Why does the narrator call the DJ on the radio in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
3. Describe the world in which the narrator lives in the novel.
4. What does the narrator pray to god for in Chapter 13 of "The History of Them All"?
5. Describe how Catherine Tekakwitha desires to be baptized.
6. What happens at the French banquet that Catherine attends in Chapter 42 of "The History of Them All"?
7. What does the narrator read about that depresses him so much?
8. Who is Charles Axis?
9. How does the uncle feel about his tribe by the middle of the novel?
10. What does the narrator say is proof that he and Edith loved each other in Chapter 25 of "The History of Them All"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Cohen decides to use the female private part of Mary Voolnd as a means of communication between the living and the dead.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the disruption that Catherine's conversion to Catholicism and the spilling of red wine bring among the Jesuits and members of the A---- tribe.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the literal and physical state in which the narrator lives is like his own hell? What motifs recur to make this connection?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)