|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the new priest massage on Catherine's body?
2. Who is caught under the spell of F. in Chapter 9 of "A History of Them All"?
3. Who replaces the local priest in Chapter 35 of "A History of Them All"?
4. To whom does the narrator call and shout about his burns and constipation in Chapter 30 of "A History of Them All"?
5. What does the narrator mention about Edith's assertion as she was being raped by a group of men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say is proof that he and Edith loved each other in Chapter 25 of "The History of Them All"?
2. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
3. What does the narrator burn himself with repeatedly in Chapter 24 of "A History of Them All"? Why is it significant?
4. How does the narrator feel about the group of men who raped Edith?
5. Who is Charles Axis?
6. What does the narrator begin to fear about what is happening to him in Chapter 14 of "A History of Them All" ?
7. What does the narrator remember about Edith in Chapter 7 of "The History of Them All"?
8. What was the purpose of the note that F. left the narrator in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
9. What does the narrator read about that depresses him so much?
10. What role does F. play in the love triangle of Edith, the narrator, and himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Cohen decides to use the female private part of Mary Voolnd as a means of communication between the living and the dead.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character F. and his relationship to the narrator. What motivates or drives F.?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the old man and the half naked woman. Who are they? What is their purpose?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)