|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are F. and the narrator driving to in the car scene?
2. What does the narrator long to speak publicly against in Chapter 10 of "A History of Them All"?
3. What does the narrator recall about Edith in Chapter 20 of "A History of Them All"?
4. What covers the narrator's apartment in Chapter 24 of "A History of Them All"?
5. What happens to make Catherine flee to the forest in Chapter 16 of "A History of Them All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator remember about Edith in Chapter 7 of "The History of Them All"?
2. What motivates the narrator to turn to Catherine Tekakwitha when he is in agony over the deaths of F. and Edith?
3. The novel was written in the 1960s. How do the contents of the novel relate to that time?
4. What role does F. play in the love triangle of Edith, the narrator, and himself?
5. Who is Charles Axis?
6. What happens when the narrator and F. drive to Ottawa?
7. What was the purpose of the note that F. left the narrator in Chapter 30 of "The History of Them All"?
8. Explain how the Iroquois tribe lives and why it was deemed inappropriate by the French missionaries.
9. What does the narrator read about that depresses him so much?
10. Describe how F. and Edith die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the scene where the narrator finds Edith's holy water and when the narrator finds out about the emotional intimacy Edith and F. share.
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Edith is raped by a group of men? Why does the narrator justify her rape?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the behavior of the narrator in F.'s tree house and compare it to his behavior in the apartment. How does the wilderness seem to tame the narrator?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)