|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 11?
2. Travis tells Abby that there’s a Halloween party where in the beginning of Chapter 11?
3. What is the title of Chapter 18?
4. What does Abby drink a shot of after seeing Travis’s new tattoos in Chapter 13?
5. Who calls Travis as he and Abby are going to bed in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Travis’s father and Abby while she’s visiting for Thanksgiving in Chapter 17?
2. What exchange takes place when Abby and Travis awaken in Chapter 11?
3. What is Abby’s outlook in the beginning of Chapter 18? When does the chapter begin?
4. What conflict arises surrounding Abby during the fight that Travis is engaged in, in Chapter 19?
5. What is the outcome of the fight in Chapter 16? What offer has Travis received?
6. What resolution have Abby and Travis reached at the end if Chapter 20?
7. How is Abby’s “date” with Parker described in Chapter 19?
8. Where are Abby and her friends in Chapter 15? What is the objective in this setting?
9. What purchases does Abby discover that Travis has made in the beginning of Chapter 13?
10. What is Abby’s response to the offer that Travis receives in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of Beautiful Disaster. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Beautiful Disaster compare with other novels in the contemporary young adult romance genre? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in McGuire’s writing?
Essay Topic 2
Family in Beautiful Disaster
a. Compare the families of Abby and Travis in the novel. How are they similar? How do they differ?
b. What symbolism supports the theme of family in the novel? Do you think that the author’s depictions of family in the narrative are positive or negative? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting established in Chapter 1 of Beautiful Disaster. Where is Eastern University located? What religion is the college associated with? What clues in the first chapter indicate the time period in which the story takes place?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)