|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Travis say at the date party in Chapter 14, “Better get a muzzle on your date,” after she insults Abby?
2. Who is the girl that arrives at Travis’s apartment with him in Chapter 18?
3. Who consoles Abby in the end of Chapter 16?
4. Who is threatening to kill Abby’s father in Chapter 15?
5. Who calls Travis as he and Abby are going to bed in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confrontation takes place when Abby and America go to Travis’s apartment in Chapter 18?
2. What do Travis and Parker say about each other to Abby in Chapter 12?
3. What is the outcome of the fight in Chapter 16? What offer has Travis received?
4. How does Abby’s father need her help in Chapter 14? What is Abby’s response to this request?
5. What is Abby’s outlook in the beginning of Chapter 18? When does the chapter begin?
6. What conversations does Abby have with Parker and Travis in the beginning of Chapter 17?
7. Who is Jesse, and what is Abby’s response when she encounters him in Chapter 15?
8. What news of Abby’s father does America relate to her in Chapter 14?
9. What conversation takes place between Travis’s father and Abby while she’s visiting for Thanksgiving in Chapter 17?
10. How is Abby’s “date” with Parker described in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reputation that Travis has with women in the beginning of the narrative. How do the women on campus react to Travis? How does Travis encourage this behavior? Why does Travis’s reputation put Abby off?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Shepley in the novel. How old is Shepley? Where did he meet America? How long have they been dating? What is Shepley’s relationship with Travis like?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting established in Chapter 1 of Beautiful Disaster. Where is Eastern University located? What religion is the college associated with? What clues in the first chapter indicate the time period in which the story takes place?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)