|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Travis tells Abby that the first fight he’ll do for Benny is in how much time, in Chapter 16?
2. What new item of furniture has Travis bought in Chapter 13?
3. Who does Abby agree to dance with at the Valentine’s Day party in order to make Travis jealous in Chapter 20?
4. Where is Travis wearing a bandage when he arrives home in Chapter 13?
5. Who comes to tell Abby while she’s in the kitchen on Thanksgiving that she means a lot to Travis in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abby’s father need her help in Chapter 14? What is Abby’s response to this request?
2. What is the outcome of the fight in Chapter 16? What offer has Travis received?
3. Who is Jesse, and what is Abby’s response when she encounters him in Chapter 15?
4. What is Travis’s response when Abby asks why he wants to be with her in Chapter 12?
5. What is Abby’s outlook in the beginning of Chapter 18? When does the chapter begin?
6. What do Travis and Parker say about each other to Abby in Chapter 12?
7. What is Abby’s response to the offer that Travis receives in Chapter 16?
8. What purchases does Abby discover that Travis has made in the beginning of Chapter 13?
9. What exchange takes place when Abby and Travis awaken in Chapter 11?
10. What leads up to the fight between Travis and a costumed pirate in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Shepley in the novel. How old is Shepley? Where did he meet America? How long have they been dating? What is Shepley’s relationship with Travis like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the novel. How does Travis express his jealousy over Parker in Chapter 5? How does Abby respond to Travis’s conquests with the women at the college? How does the issue of jealousy become resolved in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character of Parker Hayes in the novel. How old is Parker? What are Abby’s first impressions of him? In what ways does Parker Hayes represent the opposite of Travis Maddox in the novel? How does Parker’s character evolve in the story?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)