|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Abby tells America as they argue in Chapter 8, “We didn’t leave everything behind to have everyone here look at me the way they did” where?
2. What fraternity is Shepley said to be a member of in Chapter 2?
3. What is the name of the emcee at the fight in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. What does Brazil begin pouring shots of at Abby’s surprise party in Chapter 7?
5. What is the title of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Travis’s fight in the cafeteria in Chapter 8? What happens after the fight?
2. What do Abby and America discuss while they are out together in Chapter 7?
3. What does Abby come to learn about Travis’s studies at the college in Chapter 1? How did Travis come to be a fighter?
4. How does Abby respond to the rumors that begin to circulate about her in Chapter 3? What does Travis suggest?
5. What leads up to Abby’s surprise party in Chapter 7? How does the party begin?
6. Why does Travis tell Abby not to accept drinks from other people than him at the party in Chapter 5? How does Abby respond?
7. Why does Parker leave the party early in Chapter 7? What does Abby do once he’s gone?
8. How does the friendship between Abby and Travis progress in Chapter 2?
9. What does Parker tell Abby when he stops by to talk to her in Chapter 9?
10. What leads Abby to become outraged by Travis when she and America arrive at his apartment in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style established in Chapter 1 of the novel. Is the story related in a past or present tense? Who is the narrator? Why do you think the author chooses a first-person narrative as opposed to a third-person style? What are the advantages of using this narrative style?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reputation that Travis has with women in the beginning of the narrative. How do the women on campus react to Travis? How does Travis encourage this behavior? Why does Travis’s reputation put Abby off?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of jealousy in the novel. How does Travis express his jealousy over Parker in Chapter 5? How does Abby respond to Travis’s conquests with the women at the college? How does the issue of jealousy become resolved in the narrative?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)