|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lena’s mother’s name?
2. Whose words is Lena reciting when she says “not with a bang but a whimper” in “Sweet Sixteen”?
3. What does Ethan show Lena about the door to his dad’s study in “White Christmas”?
4. What is the name of Link’s band that is set to perform in “Sweet Sixteen”?
5. What is the date that opens “It Rhymes with Witch”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ethan and Lena discuss when she finally lets him into her room in “Sweet Sixteen”?
2. What does Lena discover about the choice she has to make in her Claiming in “Family Reunion”?
3. What does Ethan discover about Mrs. Lincoln’s character in “Family Reunion”?
4. How is the crisis surrounding Ethan’s father resolved in the end of “Lollipop Girl”?
5. What final jabs does Macon make on the townspeople at the hearing in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
6. What does Ivy reveal about Genevieve’s actions and their consequences in “Domus Lunae Libri”?
7. What role does Amma play in “The Claiming”? What information does she relate in this chapter?
8. What discovery does Ethan make of his father’s work in “White Christmas”? How does Ethan respond?
9. How does Macon respond when Lena confronts him about her mother in “Just Your Average American Holiday”?
10. What does Macon Ravenwood reveal about his supernatural abilities in “The Sandman or Something Like Him”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love in Beautiful Creatures
a. How is the theme of love illustrated through family in Beautiful Creatures? What are some examples of this theme manifested through the families in the story?
b. Do you think that the ending of the story proves or disproves that love prevails? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Define “literary allusion” and discuss the examples of allusion in the novel. From what classic work is the character Boo Radley named? What book is said to be Lena’s favorite? How does Marian relate to literary allusion in the narrative? How do the literary allusions serve to heighten the experience for the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the characters of Savannah Snow and Emily Ashcroft. How do these girls relate to Lena? Why? What are their histories with Ethan and the other students at Jackson High?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)