|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who provides a corsage for Ethan to give Lena in “Melting”?
2. Who tells Ethan that his father is in danger in the beginning of “Lollipop Girl”?
3. “White Christmas” begins on what date?
4. What book have Ethan and Lena been going through to find a solution for Lena in “Promise”?
5. Who stabs Ethan in “The Claiming”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the crisis surrounding Ethan’s father resolved in the end of “Lollipop Girl”?
2. What are Ethan and Lena doing in the beginning of “The Sandman or Something Like Him”?
3. What news does Ethan receive in the beginning of “Lollipop Girl” that causes him to leave the party?
4. What realization does Ethan have regarding the people of Gatlin in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
5. What conversation takes place between Amma and Macon Ravenwood in “The Sandman or Something Like Him”?
6. What does Ethan consider of Mrs. Lincoln’s “testimony” at the hearing in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
7. How is the birthday party described in “Sweet Sixteen”? Who performs at the party?
8. Who arrives with Macon in “Family Reunion”? How does Macon respond to Sarafine’s accusations?
9. How is the atmosphere of the school described in the beginning of “White Christmas”?
10. What holiday is being celebrated in “Just Your Average American Holiday”? How is the setting and atmosphere described in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of Beautiful Creatures. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Beautiful Creatures compare with other novels of the same genre? Do you think the story is stronger or weaker than that of other contemporary fantasy novels? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of poetry in the novel. What style of poetry does Lena write? Do you enjoy the excerpts included in the text? How would you analyze them as stand-alone pieces? What poets are alluded to in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character of Ridley Duchannes in the novel. How old is Ridley? How is she related to Lena? What appears to be Ridley’s relationship with her family? What are Ridley’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)