|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name is the Caster Library called in the novel?
2. Who is Link’s date at the Winter Formal in “Melting”?
3. What community event takes place throughout “The Claiming”?
4. When does “Lost and Found” take place?
5. What kind of tree bursts into flames in “The Battle of Honey Hill”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives with Macon in “Family Reunion”? How does Macon respond to Sarafine’s accusations?
2. How is the crisis surrounding Ethan’s father resolved in the end of “Lollipop Girl”?
3. Where are Lena, Ethan, and Marian transported when they touch the locket in “Domus Lunae Libri”? What does Genevieve do?
4. What discovery does Ethan make of his father’s work in “White Christmas”? How does Ethan respond?
5. In what ways is the setting of the party significant to the main characters in “Sweet Sixteen”?
6. What are Ethan and Lena doing in the beginning of “The Sandman or Something Like Him”?
7. What do Ethan and Lena discuss when she finally lets him into her room in “Sweet Sixteen”?
8. What is Ridley’s response when Ethan asks her why she’s doing what she’s doing in “Lollipop Girl”?
9. What does Ethan discover about Mrs. Lincoln’s character in “Family Reunion”?
10. Why do Ethan and Lena take Aunt Del with them to the cemetery in “Grave Digging”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various supernatural powers that exist within Lena’s family. What are the names of the different “species” of Casters that Lena describes? Which are more or less powerful? How many Light Casters versus Dark Casters are in the family?
Essay Topic 2
Love in Beautiful Creatures
a. How is the theme of love illustrated through family in Beautiful Creatures? What are some examples of this theme manifested through the families in the story?
b. Do you think that the ending of the story proves or disproves that love prevails? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions, objectives, and obstacles of Mrs. Lincoln in the narrative. Why does Mrs. Lincoln appear to want Lena out of the Gatlin high school? What actions does she take in order to achieve this objective? What obstacles does she face in this endeavor?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)