|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many “days and counting” does Ethan say it is until Lena’s birthday in “The Battle of Honey Hill”?
2. What is the message that Lena and Ethan decipher from the page numbers in the book in Ethan’s father’s study in “White Christmas”?
3. Marian reveals in “Domus Lunae Libri” that what book has been missing for many years?
4. What is the date that opens “It Rhymes with Witch”?
5. Who speaks at the public hearing to say that the window Lena broke in school almost “cut my baby to shreds” in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ethan and Lena discuss when she finally lets him into her room in “Sweet Sixteen”?
2. Describe the denouement of the novel. Does the story end happily?
3. What does Ethan consider of Mrs. Lincoln’s “testimony” at the hearing in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
4. What does Macon Ravenwood reveal about his supernatural abilities in “The Sandman or Something Like Him”?
5. What does Ivy reveal about Genevieve’s actions and their consequences in “Domus Lunae Libri”?
6. What final jabs does Macon make on the townspeople at the hearing in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
7. What assertions does Macon make in response to the previous testimony at the hearing in “When the Saints Go Marching In”?
8. What are Ethan and Lena doing in the beginning of “The Sandman or Something Like Him”?
9. How is the birthday party described in “Sweet Sixteen”? Who performs at the party?
10. Where are Ethan and Link going when they encounter Mrs. Lincoln in “Family Reunion”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of secrecy in Beautiful Creatures. In your essay, examine and discuss the characters, symbolism, and imagery that the authors use to support this theme. How does the theme apply in both the Mortal world and the Caster world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the family dynamic within the Wate household. What is Amma’s role within the family? How long has Amma been with the family? How long ago did Ethan’s mother die, and how did she die? How does the Wate family compare with the Duchannes family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of poetry in the novel. What style of poetry does Lena write? Do you enjoy the excerpts included in the text? How would you analyze them as stand-alone pieces? What poets are alluded to in the narrative?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)