|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second set of initials that Lena and Ethan ponder in “The Real Boo Radley”?
2. What member of the basketball team is chosen to tell Ethan to stay away from Lena in “Gathering Days”?
3. What is written on the walls of Lena’s room in “A Crack in the Plaster”?
4. Ethan’s aunts explain that the reason Ethan hasn’t seen the relative whose initials are on the locket on the family tree is because he was what, in “The Sisters”?
5. On what day does Ethan visit his aunts every week?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Ethan’s mother in the story? What is the impact of her absence as seen in “The Middle of Nowhere”?
2. What does Lena explain to Ethan about the names of her family members in “The Writing on the Wall”?
3. What strange occurrence happens late at night in “Hallow E’en”?
4. How are the chapters structured in the novel? What is the significance of the dates noted?
5. How is the setting of Gatlin, South Carolina described in “The Middle of Nowhere”? How does Ethan explain his role within the community?
6. What is the significance of the numbers written on Lena’s hand in the novel?
7. When Ethan touches the locket while at church in “The Sisters,” what scene unfolds?
8. What is significant about the kitchen in Ravenwood Manor, as seen in “The Real Boo Radley”?
9. Who are “The Sisters” that this chapter title references? What is their relationship to Ethan?
10. Why is Lena upset when she, Ethan, and Marian return to the present in “Marian the Librarian”? How does Marian respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of bullying in the narrative. How is this theme illustrated through the characters of Savannah Snow and Emily Ashcroft? What other examples of bullying can be seen in the first chapters of the novel? How does bullying apply in the Caster world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Gatlin, South Carolina, as depicted in the opening of Beautiful Creatures. How does the narrator feel about his hometown? How does his father describe the town? How large is the town?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions, objectives, and obstacles of Mrs. Lincoln in the narrative. Why does Mrs. Lincoln appear to want Lena out of the Gatlin high school? What actions does she take in order to achieve this objective? What obstacles does she face in this endeavor?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)