|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The number that Lena has written on her hand represents what?
2. What does Amma insist that Ethan do with the locket he’s found in “The Sisters”?
3. Lena explains Ridley’s magical powers by telling Ethan she is what in “A Crack in the Plaster”?
4. Ethan’s friend Link tells him in “The Real Boo Radley” that a “lynch mob” is setting out to do what?
5. Marian tells Ethan that the locket in the painting is rumored to be what, in “Marian the Librarian”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ethan describe the physicality between himself and Lena in the early chapters of the novel?
2. How do Ethan and Lena part at the end of “Collision”? What aroma does Ethan smell at this time?
3. How does Lena explain her personal predicament to Ethan in “A Crack in the Plaster”?
4. In “A Crack in the Plaster,” Lena relates a story of a teenager who was Claimed Dark. How does this scenario turn out, and what does it indicate?
5. Where is Ethan’s mother in the story? What is the impact of her absence as seen in “The Middle of Nowhere”?
6. What is Amma’s role within the Wate household? How is her role in the family illustrated through her actions in “The Middle of Nowhere”?
7. What supernatural incidents are described in the opening of “The Real Boo Radley”?
8. How does Lena describe her family members’ supernatural powers in “A Crack in the Plaster”?
9. What is the significance of the numbers written on Lena’s hand in the novel?
10. Why is Lena upset when she, Ethan, and Marian return to the present in “Marian the Librarian”? How does Marian respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Genevieve in the novel. How is Genevieve related to Lena? What is the story of her relationship with Ethan Carter Wate? How do Genevieve’s actions influence the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the family dynamic within the Wate household. What is Amma’s role within the family? How long has Amma been with the family? How long ago did Ethan’s mother die, and how did she die? How does the Wate family compare with the Duchannes family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of poetry in the novel. What style of poetry does Lena write? Do you enjoy the excerpts included in the text? How would you analyze them as stand-alone pieces? What poets are alluded to in the narrative?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)