|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the wolf/dog owned by Macon Ravenwood in the novel?
2. Amma tells Macon Ravenwood that her family has been “cleaning up the messes” for Macon’s family for how long in “The Greats”?
3. Who is the woman that Lena and Ethan encounter when they are transported through time to the plantation in “Greenbrier”?
4. Who tells Ethan in “New Girl” that the new girl is a niece of Macon Ravenwood in “New Girl”?
5. Ethan is entering what year in high school in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the chapters structured in the novel? What is the significance of the dates noted?
2. Why is Lena upset when she, Ethan, and Marian return to the present in “Marian the Librarian”? How does Marian respond?
3. How do Ethan and Lena part at the end of “Collision”? What aroma does Ethan smell at this time?
4. What does Ethan learn about the history of Ravenwood in “The Sisters”?
5. What is significant about the conversation between Ethan and Lena regarding the storm in “Collision”?
6. What happens outside of Ethan’s father’s study in the beginning of “Marian the Librarian”?
7. What does Lena explain to Ethan about the names of her family members in “The Writing on the Wall”?
8. What awakens Ethan in “The Greats”? Where does he go upon awakening?
9. What confuses Ethan about the appearance of Ravenwood Manor when he arrives in “The Real Boo Radley”?
10. Why does Lena say she doesn’t want to begin a relationship with Ethan in “A Crack in the Plaster”? How does Ethan respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of Ethan Carter Wate in the narrative of Beautiful Creatures. What actions does Ethan Carter Wate take in the past flashbacks? How is his story related to Ethan and Lena’s?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of bullying in the narrative. How is this theme illustrated through the characters of Savannah Snow and Emily Ashcroft? What other examples of bullying can be seen in the first chapters of the novel? How does bullying apply in the Caster world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Marian Ashcroft in Beautiful Creatures. In what ways does Marian compare to the character from The Music Man? What secret knowledge does Marian reveal when her character is introduced? What was Marian’s relationship with Ethan’s mother?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)