|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What operation do Hornblower, Laurie and Lady Barbara have to perform on Williams?
2. Who was Gerard?
3. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
4. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
5. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lady Barbara Wellesley's physical appearance?
2. Who accompanies Lady Barbara?
3. What problem does Lydia have as it weighs anchor after Hornblower's visit with the Viceroy at Panama?
4. Upon sighting Natividad, both ships shortening sail due to foul weather, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly when the two shipd are on a collision course?
5. After being refused safe harbor at Panama, what does Hornblower do?
6. What is Hornblower decked out in when he goes ashore at Panama?
7. How do you suppose Lydia wins the battle against Natividad , which is a much larger ship with more guns?
8. Describe what Lady Barbara does in the cockpit.
9. What is Lady Barbara wearing when she boards Lydia?
10. Describe the condition of the crew of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the ship Natividad. List the advantages it would have in a naval battle. Include the crew in your description.
2) Describe the Lydia. What advantages would it have in a naval battle? Include the crew in your description.
3) Describe the first encounter between the Natividad and the Lydia. What is the strategy Hornblower uses? What is the outcome of the battle?
4) Choose one the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Describe how Captain Hornblower represses his normal behavior in order to better obey the secret orders of the Admiralty.
Part 2) Do you think Captain Hornblower is a good captain? Why?
Part 3) Describe the relationship between Captain Hornblower and his crew. Do you think Captain Hornblower cares for his officers and crew? Why do you think so?
Part 4) Choose one of the above and and write about it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the Isle of Coiba. Why did Hornblower choose this island to anchor in?
2) Describe how Hornblower and his crew prepares the Lydia to be repaired.
3) Describe the repairs that have to be made on the ship. Are the repairs successfully completed?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)