|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hornblower resolved to do on this voyage that he hadn't done previously?
2. What did the flag that Natividad now flew look like?
3. How did the British Admiralty want to use the Spanish possessions?
4. How long after sighting the Horn had Hornblower brought Lydia to her destination?
5. Who comes aboard Lydia in a small craft to speak with Hornblower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strategy Hornblower devises to capture Natividad, though it is larger and has more guns than the Lydia has?
2. What was weighing heavily on Captain Hornblower's mind after 7 months at sea?
3. What does Hornblower do with the captured officers and crew of Natividad?
4. How did Horatio Hornblower prove himself a good captain during the section "The Prosperous Voyage"?
5. What does Hornblower do when he is told Natividad is approaching?
6. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
7. Describe Lydia, the ship Hornblower was a captain of.
8. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
9. What are some of the insults Hornblower disregards in order to accomplish his goals?
10. Describe Alvarado whom Hornblower was ordered to help in a rebellion against Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the physical appearance and clothing of Lady Barbara when she first boards the Lydia.
2) Describe Lady Barbara's family and social background
3) Describe Hornblower's reaction to Lady Barbara and tell why you think he reacts in that way.
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
Using what you've learned about sailing ships of the early 19th century in this novel, write an essay describing why you would like to take an extended trip on an early 19th century sailing ship. Where would you go? Would you want to be a passenger of a member of the crew?.
Or Write an essay on why you would not like to take a trip on an early 19th century sailing ship? Give your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the ship Natividad. List the advantages it would have in a naval battle. Include the crew in your description.
2) Describe the Lydia. What advantages would it have in a naval battle? Include the crew in your description.
3) Describe the first encounter between the Natividad and the Lydia. What is the strategy Hornblower uses? What is the outcome of the battle?
4) Choose one the three topics to write on.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)