|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the crew likes to rap the seamen with his rattan cane?
2. Who was the first member of the crew to be publicly flogged?
3. How many guns does the H.M.S. Lydia have on board?
4. What was the only land Hornblower had had a glimpse of during the seven-month voyage?
5. Who replaced Hankey, the surgeon who died before the novel opened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which supplies was Lydia out of or low on after seven months at sea?
2. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
3. What are some of the insults Hornblower disregards in order to accomplish his goals?
4. What does Hornblower do with the captured officers and crew of Natividad?
5. Describe the incident which took place in the village near where Lydia was anchored?
6. Describe Captain Hornblower's appearance?
7. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
8. What was weighing heavily on Captain Hornblower's mind after 7 months at sea?
9. What does Hornblower see on his way to El Supremo's palace?
10. Describe Alvarado whom Hornblower was ordered to help in a rebellion against Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe what each of the two ships, the Lydia or the Natividad, does when it first sights the other. This is after disclosure that Spain is now England's ally and both ships know this.
2) Describe the part of the final sea battle between the Lydia and the Natividad which you find the most interesting.
3) Describe the outcome of the sea battle between the two ships and discuss what ramifications this outcome might have had.
4) Choose one of these three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Describe how Captain Hornblower represses his normal behavior in order to better obey the secret orders of the Admiralty.
Part 2) Do you think Captain Hornblower is a good captain? Why?
Part 3) Describe the relationship between Captain Hornblower and his crew. Do you think Captain Hornblower cares for his officers and crew? Why do you think so?
Part 4) Choose one of the above and and write about it.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe the damage done to the Lydia during the final battle with the Natividad.
2) Describe Crespo's behavior during at the end of the battle.
3) Describe Hornblower's inspection of the fate of his officers and crew on the Sunday after the battle with the Natividad.
4) Choose one of these topics to write on.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)