|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the whole crew of Lydia spring into action on approaching Natividad?
2. How fast does Lydia travel in light airs?
3. Why does Hornblower think he was selected for this mission?
4. What is a chief characteristic of Hornblower?
5. What did the burgoo the captain ate for breakfast consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
2. Describe the incident which took place in the village near where Lydia was anchored?
3. What was weighing heavily on Captain Hornblower's mind after 7 months at sea?
4. How did Horatio Hornblower prove himself a good captain during the section "The Prosperous Voyage"?
5. What does Hornblower see on his way to El Supremo's palace?
6. Name three of the officers of H.M.S. Lydia and their ranks.
7. What was Captain Hornblower ordered to do by the British admiralty?
8. Describe Lydia, the ship Hornblower was a captain of.
9. Which supplies was Lydia out of or low on after seven months at sea?
10. What is the stragegy that El Supremo lays out to Hornblower about conquest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe the ship Natividad. List the advantages it would have in a naval battle. Include the crew in your description.
2) Describe the Lydia. What advantages would it have in a naval battle? Include the crew in your description.
3) Describe the first encounter between the Natividad and the Lydia. What is the strategy Hornblower uses? What is the outcome of the battle?
4) Choose one the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe how Lady Barbara nurses the wounded and dying in the cockpit of the ship.
2) Describe Lady Barbara's views on nursing. How do they differ from the view most people today hold of nursing? Why isn't Lady Barbara another Florence Nightingale?
3) How does Lady Barbara's behavior as a nurse change when Galbraith lies dying . What is touching about this encounter between Galbraith and Lady Barbara?
4) Choose one of the three topics to write on.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what each of the two ships, the Lydia or the Natividad, does when it first sights the other. This is after disclosure that Spain is now England's ally and both ships know this.
2) Describe the part of the final sea battle between the Lydia and the Natividad which you find the most interesting.
3) Describe the outcome of the sea battle between the two ships and discuss what ramifications this outcome might have had.
4) Choose one of these three topics to write on.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)