|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) an island
(b) prize ships to capture
(c) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
(d) Natividad once more
2. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) it was the bay of a tropical island
(b) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
(c) it was the summer season
(d) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
3. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
(a) Herbert, her native servant
(b) Margaret, her sister
(c) Carmen, her South American girlfriend
(d) Hebe, her lascivious handmaid
4. How long ago had Hornblower filled his storerooms and water barrels?
(a) seven weeks ago
(b) six weeks ago
(c) a fortnight ago
(d) a month ago
5. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(a) Manuel Hernandez
(b) El Supremo
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
2. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
3. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
4. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
5. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
Short Essay Questions
1. After being refused safe harbor at Panama, what does Hornblower do?
2. After having left Natividad in the hands of El Supremo's crew and proceeding toward the pearl islands what surprise was in store for Hornblower?
3. Describe what Lady Barbara does in the cockpit.
4. What is Hornblower instructed to do by the Spanish officers who boarded Lydia?
5. Who seeks passage aboard Lydia and why?
6. What did Hornblower have to confess to the Spaniards?
7. What is Hornblower supposed to do before dealing with Natividad?
8. What is Hornblower forced to due in order to close in on Natividad when there is no wind for the sails?
9. Upon sighting Natividad, both ships shortening sail due to foul weather, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly when the two shipd are on a collision course?
10. What is Lady Barbara wearing when she boards Lydia?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)