|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(b) El Supremo
(c) Manuel Hernandez
2. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) thank them for their loyal service
(b) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
(c) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
(d) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
3. Who was Gerard?
(a) the handsome womanizing gunner
(b) the half wit coxswain
(c) the cook
(d) the 3rd Lieutenant
4. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
(a) Bush's cabin
(b) Hornblower's cabin again
(c) the orlop deck
(d) Gerard's cabin
5. What difficulty does Hornblower encounter after his visit with the Viceroy and his return to Lydia?
(a) His men became drunk during his absence
(b) The anchor is heavily fouled.
(c) Lady Barbara hung her underwear on deck to dry
(d) He finds out Hebe, Lady Barbara's maid, is a prostitute
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
2. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
3. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
4. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
5. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does El Supremo hope to do with Natividad?
2. After being refused safe harbor at Panama, what does Hornblower do?
3. Who seeks passage aboard Lydia and why?
4. Describe what Lady Barbara does in the cockpit.
5. How do you suppose Lydia wins the battle against Natividad , which is a much larger ship with more guns?
6. What is Lady Barbara wearing when she boards Lydia?
7. After having left Natividad in the hands of El Supremo's crew and proceeding toward the pearl islands what surprise was in store for Hornblower?
8. What is Hornblower instructed to do by the Spanish officers who boarded Lydia?
9. After a fierce sea battle , both ships severely damaged, what does Hornblower do?
10. Why does Hornblower allow Lady Barbara to seek passage on Lydia, though he dislikes her and feels Lydia is no place for a woman?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)