|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(b) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
(c) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(d) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
2. Who was Gerard?
(a) the cook
(b) the handsome womanizing gunner
(c) the 3rd Lieutenant
(d) the half wit coxswain
3. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(a) typhoid fever
4. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
(b) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
(c) thank them for their loyal service
(d) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
5. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) pride and intolerance
(b) curiosity and admiration
(c) fear and cowardice
(d) anger and impatience
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Howell?
2. What is the cockpit?
3. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
4. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
5. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Upon sighting Natividad, both ships shortening sail due to foul weather, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly when the two shipd are on a collision course?
2. What did Hornblower have to confess to the Spaniards?
3. Why does Hornblower allow Lady Barbara to seek passage on Lydia, though he dislikes her and feels Lydia is no place for a woman?
4. Who accompanies Lady Barbara?
5. What is Hornblower forced to due in order to close in on Natividad when there is no wind for the sails?
6. What is Hornblower instructed to do by the Spanish officers who boarded Lydia?
7. Who seeks passage aboard Lydia and why?
8. What does El Supremo hope to do with Natividad?
9. How do you suppose Lydia wins the battle against Natividad , which is a much larger ship with more guns?
10. After being refused safe harbor at Panama, what does Hornblower do?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)