|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hornblower conclude Lydia has made perfect landfall?
(a) on the Gulf of Fonseca
(b) on the coast of Ecuador
(c) on the Gulf of Sequia
(d) on the coast of Nicaragua
2. How many guns does Natividad have on board?
3. Why does Hornblower think he was selected for this mission?
(a) he spoke Spanish, having been a Spanish prisoner of war
(b) he had sailed to South America before
(c) he had such a good record as a ship's captain
(d) he had friends high up in the Admiralty
4. What made the whole crew of Lydia spring into action on approaching Natividad?
(a) Hornblower blowing his silver whistle
(b) a man on the foremast calling the order
(c) Hornblower's beat to quarters
5. In the restocking of Lydia, what did Hernandez provide instead of flour?
(c) hominy grits
(d) ground maize
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the burgoo the captain ate for breakfast consist of?
2. How fast does Lydia travel in light airs?
3. With whom should Hornblower open communication to receive further orders as soon as it was convenient?
4. Until Lydia had made harbor what was the favorite dish in the midshipman's berth?
5. Who is Gerard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident which took place in the village near where Lydia was anchored?
2. What does Hornblower do with the captured officers and crew of Natividad?
3. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
4. Which supplies was Lydia out of or low on after seven months at sea?
5. Describe Alvarado whom Hornblower was ordered to help in a rebellion against Spain?
6. Why do you think it was a wise decision of Hornblower not to get familiar with his lieutenants and to remain aloof and close-mouthed?
7. What are some of the insults Hornblower disregards in order to accomplish his goals?
8. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
9. How did Horatio Hornblower prove himself a good captain during the section "The Prosperous Voyage"?
10. Describe Captain Hornblower's appearance?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)