|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Hornblower been ordered to do with Lydia?
(a) stay out of sight until arrival at the Gulf of Fonseca
(b) sink it rather than surrender
(c) use it to immmedately take Natividad
(d) hand it over to El Supremo
2. The novel takes place during what war?
(a) Napoleonic War between France and England
(b) the War of 1812
(c) the Seven Years' War
(d) the French Revolution
3. How does El Supremo view his subjects?
(a) as loyal servants
(b) as his children
(c) as his enemies
(d) as beasts
4. What does El Supremo plan to do?
(a) visit England
(b) capture treasure ships
(c) capture Lydia
(d) sail with an army to capture the capital of Nicaragua
5. What did Hornblower do when he didn't know how to respond to something someone said?
(a) He lied
(b) He cleared his throat with a "Ha-----h'm"
(c) He agreed with whatever was said
(d) He blushed
Short Answer Questions
1. How fast does Lydia travel in light airs?
2. What were the huts that Hornblower saw on his way to the palace made of?
3. What was the only land Hornblower had had a glimpse of during the seven-month voyage?
4. What request did Hornblower make of El Supremo?
5. How do El Supremos' officers quell the crew after they take over Natividad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the stragegy that El Supremo lays out to Hornblower about conquest?
2. Hornblower is not close to any of the crew under him and neither is El Supremo close to his men. What are some of the differences between Hornblower's relationship with his men and the behavior El Supremo exhbits toward his men?
3. What does Hornblower do with the captured officers and crew of Natividad?
4. Why do you think it was a wise decision of Hornblower not to get familiar with his lieutenants and to remain aloof and close-mouthed?
5. Name three of the officers of H.M.S. Lydia and their ranks.
6. What does Hornblower see on his way to El Supremo's palace?
7. What does Hornblower do when he is told Natividad is approaching?
8. Describe the incident which took place in the village near where Lydia was anchored?
9. Describe the actual battle that ensues after Lydia takes Navtividad by surprise?
10. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)