|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far above the deck is the foremast gallant top?
(a) 40' above the deck.
(b) 140' above the deck.
(c) 130' above the deck.
(d) 125' above the deck.
2. What does El Supremo plan to do?
(a) visit England
(b) capture treasure ships
(c) sail with an army to capture the capital of Nicaragua
(d) capture Lydia
3. How many British casualties are there during the capturing of Natividad?
(d) not one
4. With whom should Hornblower open communication to receive further orders as soon as it was convenient?
(a) the Admiral of the Gulf of Fonseca
(b) the Rear Admiral commanding the Leeward Islands
(c) the captain of a nearby British ship
(d) the English king
5. Why does Hornblower have the Spanish officers from Natividad shackled below on Lydia?
(a) to teach them the superiority of the English
(b) to keep them from fighting back
(c) to hold them 'til their flogging
(d) to save them from being executed by El Supremo
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a chief characteristic of Hornblower?
2. With what country had Spain recently sided against England?
3. What does Hornblower see on his way to the palace?
4. Who comes aboard Lydia in a small craft to speak with Hornblower?
5. Which of the crew likes to rap the seamen with his rattan cane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
2. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
3. What was Captain Hornblower ordered to do by the British admiralty?
4. Describe Captain Hornblower's appearance?
5. What does Hornblower see on his way to El Supremo's palace?
6. Why do you think it was a wise decision of Hornblower not to get familiar with his lieutenants and to remain aloof and close-mouthed?
7. Name three of the officers of H.M.S. Lydia and their ranks.
8. What is the stragegy that El Supremo lays out to Hornblower about conquest?
9. Describe the actual battle that ensues after Lydia takes Navtividad by surprise?
10. What does Hornblower do with the captured officers and crew of Natividad?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)