|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What card game did Hornblower like to play?
2. Hornblower is ordered to go to the palace of whom?
(a) El Supremo
(b) Jesus de Natividad
(c) Hernando Alvarez
(d) Manuel Hernandez
3. What had Hornblower been ordered to do with Lydia?
(a) use it to immmedately take Natividad
(b) hand it over to El Supremo
(c) stay out of sight until arrival at the Gulf of Fonseca
(d) sink it rather than surrender
4. When would Hornblower be permitted to capture treasure ships in the Pacific?
(a) after the rebellion against Spain was successful
(b) after he ship was repaired and fullly stocked with food
(c) after one month
(d) right before returning to England
5. When does the prosperous period of Hornblower's voyage conclude?
(a) when Hornblower gives up his commission
(b) when Hornblower admits defieat
(c) when Hornblower hands over Natividad to El Supremo
(d) when Hornblower lands in Peru
Short Answer Questions
1. The novel takes place during what war?
2. How does El Supremo view his subjects?
3. How many decks did the Spanish ship Natividad have?
4. Who is Gerard?
5. How many guns did the Natividad have on board?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident which took place in the village near where Lydia was anchored?
2. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
3. Describe Captain Hornblower's appearance?
4. Describe Alvarado whom Hornblower was ordered to help in a rebellion against Spain?
5. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
6. What was Captain Hornblower ordered to do by the British admiralty?
7. How did Horatio Hornblower prove himself a good captain during the section "The Prosperous Voyage"?
8. Hornblower is not close to any of the crew under him and neither is El Supremo close to his men. What are some of the differences between Hornblower's relationship with his men and the behavior El Supremo exhbits toward his men?
9. Why do you think it was a wise decision of Hornblower not to get familiar with his lieutenants and to remain aloof and close-mouthed?
10. What is the stragegy that El Supremo lays out to Hornblower about conquest?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)