|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Polwheal?
(a) the ship surgeon
(b) a red-haired half-wit
(c) 1st lieutenant
(d) Hornblower's steward
2. What did the burgoo the captain ate for breakfast consist of?
(a) dry bread crusts and milk
(b) black extract of burnt bread
(c) a mixture of mashed biscuit crumbs and minced salt beef
(d) rum and scones
3. What does Hernandez mean by "unenlightened" men?
(a) men who have never attended school
(b) non-religious men
(c) men who cannot read
(d) men who deny El Supremo's divinity
4. With whom should Hornblower open communication to receive further orders as soon as it was convenient?
(a) the captain of a nearby British ship
(b) the Admiral of the Gulf of Fonseca
(c) the Rear Admiral commanding the Leeward Islands
(d) the English king
5. Hornblower was ordered to form an alliance with whom in rebellion against Spain?
(a) the Spaniards
(b) Ship Captain Andrade
(c) Vice Admiral Don Cristobal de Crespo
(d) Don Julian Alvarado
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the huts that Hornblower saw on his way to the palace made of?
2. How many decks did the Spanish ship Natividad have?
3. What had Hornblower resolved to do on this voyage that he hadn't done previously?
4. With what country had Spain recently sided against England?
5. How would you describe the physical appearance of El Supremo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the stragegy that El Supremo lays out to Hornblower about conquest?
2. What does El Supremo demand upon boarding Natividad and why is it meaningless?
3. Describe Alvarado whom Hornblower was ordered to help in a rebellion against Spain?
4. Which supplies was Lydia out of or low on after seven months at sea?
5. Describe Lydia, the ship Hornblower was a captain of.
6. Describe the actual battle that ensues after Lydia takes Navtividad by surprise?
7. What appears on the beach the morning after Hornblower's visit to El Supremo's palace?
8. What is the strategy Hornblower devises to capture Natividad, though it is larger and has more guns than the Lydia has?
9. What was weighing heavily on Captain Hornblower's mind after 7 months at sea?
10. What does Hornblower do with the captured officers and crew of Natividad?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)