|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(b) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
(c) accounting for all the cannons
(d) the repairs to the cabin
2. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(b) an engaging man, more social than military
(c) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
(d) a burly man with a commanding presence
3. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) anger and impatience
(b) pride and intolerance
(c) fear and cowardice
(d) curiosity and admiration
4. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(a) losing the respect of his officers
(d) never being able to return home
5. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(c) the pearl centers of Central America
(d) Cape Horn
6. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) Natividad once more
(b) prize ships to capture
(c) an island
(d) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
7. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(b) El Supremo
(c) Manuel Hernandez
8. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
(a) his sickroom as a child
(b) an orderly hospital room
(c) some canto in the Inferno
(d) the inside of a dark cave
9. What does Hornblower announce to the Spanish politicians after he admits fomenting revolution and delivering Natividad to El Supremo?
(a) admits he was foolish in siding with such a madman as El Supremo under any circumstance
(b) he will call on the Spanish governor at Panama and seek to destroy or capture Natividad
(c) that he continue fomenting revolution against Spain
(d) that he will sail immediately for England
10. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
(b) warm food for the wounded
(c) fresh air
(d) sterilized surgical instruments
11. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) raises a white flag of truce
(b) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(c) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(d) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
12. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) she waits for the wind to rise
(b) two of her boats tow her
(c) she waits for Natividad to approach her
(d) she wets her sails
13. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
(a) the night watches
(b) the carronnades
(c) the chain pumps
(d) the watches over the wounded
14. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) approximately one half of her crew
(b) more than one third of her crew
(c) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(d) 45 seamen
15. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
(a) that they laughed at him and he became their chief source of entertainment
(b) they were going to hang him without his being able to make make peace with God
(c) that they spat on him
(d) that they didn't feed him
Short Answer Questions
1. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
2. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
3. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
4. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
5. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)