|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
(b) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
(c) it was the bay of a tropical island
(d) it was the summer season
2. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
(b) thank them for their loyal service
(c) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
(d) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
3. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
(a) a formal prohibition for the Lydia to drop anchor in any port in Spanish America
(b) an invitation to drop anchor in Panama for repairs
(c) a congratualtion on Hornblower's success in sinking Natividad
(d) an invitation to a celebratory dinner ashore
4. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(a) losing the respect of his officers
(b) never being able to return home
5. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) an engaging man, more social than military
(b) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(c) a burly man with a commanding presence
(d) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
6. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
(a) Her mizzenmast is gone taking the top gallant mast with it while she drags wreckage alongside
(b) the steering wheel is blown away by a cannon
(c) Lydia is totally dismasted, unable to be repaired
(d) Her foremast is dismasted and her carronades are damaged
7. How long ago had Hornblower filled his storerooms and water barrels?
(a) a month ago
(b) six weeks ago
(c) a fortnight ago
(d) seven weeks ago
8. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
(a) his sickroom as a child
(b) the inside of a dark cave
(c) an orderly hospital room
(d) some canto in the Inferno
9. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to pray
(b) ordered them to take a meal
(c) ordered them to sing sea shanties
(d) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
10. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
(a) they were going to hang him without his being able to make make peace with God
(b) that they didn't feed him
(c) that they spat on him
(d) that they laughed at him and he became their chief source of entertainment
11. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
(b) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(c) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(d) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
12. Describe Lady Barbara.
(a) She is 27, tanned and from an influential English family
(b) She is short, dark-haired , plump and fair with pink cheeks
(c) She is a red-head with a fiery temper
(d) She is a delicate blond, not wanting to get her hands dirty or soil her clothes
13. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(b) raises a white flag of truce
(c) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
(d) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
14. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(b) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
(c) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
(d) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
15. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Coiba
(b) a hidden cove of Panama
(c) the isle of Rosita
(d) the isle of Canabra
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the fate of Natividad?
2. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
3. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
4. What is Hornblower ordered to do by the Spanish emmissaries?
5. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)