|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
(a) different crewmen had to be assigned to the various repair jobs
(b) the depth of the water had to be tested
(c) Lydia must be lightened
(d) the crew had to be well-fed
2. What difficulty does Hornblower encounter after his visit with the Viceroy and his return to Lydia?
(a) His men became drunk during his absence
(b) Lady Barbara hung her underwear on deck to dry
(c) The anchor is heavily fouled.
(d) He finds out Hebe, Lady Barbara's maid, is a prostitute
3. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to pray
(b) ordered them to take a meal
(c) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
(d) ordered them to sing sea shanties
4. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(b) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
(c) accounting for all the cannons
(d) the repairs to the cabin
5. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(b) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(c) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(d) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
6. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has come down with yellow fever
(b) that he was captured by the French
(c) that he has married back in England
(d) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
7. What was El Supremo dressed in when presented to Hornblower aboard the Spanish lugger?
(a) his finest regalia
(b) an old Spanish uniform
(c) he was naked
(d) dirty rags
8. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) his forehead is cut by a falling block
(b) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
(c) both his legs are smashed below the knees
(d) one of his arms is blown off
9. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(b) losing the respect of his officers
(d) never being able to return home
10. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's nasty words
(b) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
(c) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(d) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
11. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
12. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
(a) the ship's wheel
(b) the mizzenmast
(c) a loose cannon
(d) the foremast
13. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(b) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
(c) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
(d) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
14. Describe Lady Barbara.
(a) She is a delicate blond, not wanting to get her hands dirty or soil her clothes
(b) She is a red-head with a fiery temper
(c) She is short, dark-haired , plump and fair with pink cheeks
(d) She is 27, tanned and from an influential English family
15. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
(b) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(c) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
(d) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
2. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
3. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
4. Who died after having both legs smashed below the knees?
5. Who was Howell?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)