|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) horses headed for the stable
(b) homing pigeons
(c) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
(d) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
2. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(b) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(c) raises a white flag of truce
(d) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
3. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
(a) below to the cable tier
(b) to the surgeon's cabin
(c) to the cockpit
(d) to Lieutenant Bush's cabin
4. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Canabra
(b) the isle of Rosita
(c) the isle of Coiba
(d) a hidden cove of Panama
5. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) both his legs are smashed below the knees
(b) one of his arms is blown off
(c) his forehead is cut by a falling block
(d) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
6. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to take a meal
(b) ordered them to sing sea shanties
(c) ordered them to pray
(d) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
7. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(b) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(c) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(d) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
8. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(b) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
(c) a burly man with a commanding presence
(d) an engaging man, more social than military
9. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
(a) whiskey and bread
(c) tea and scones
(d) laudanum and rum
10. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
(a) Margaret, her sister
(b) Herbert, her native servant
(c) Hebe, her lascivious handmaid
(d) Carmen, her South American girlfriend
11. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he was captured by the French
(d) that he has come down with yellow fever
12. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) approximately one half of her crew
(b) more than one third of her crew
(c) 45 seamen
(d) approximately one-quarter of her crew
13. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) two of her boats tow her
(b) she wets her sails
(c) she waits for the wind to rise
(d) she waits for Natividad to approach her
14. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) pride and intolerance
(b) fear and cowardice
(c) curiosity and admiration
(d) anger and impatience
15. Who was Gerard?
(a) the half wit coxswain
(b) the handsome womanizing gunner
(c) the 3rd Lieutenant
(d) the cook
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
2. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
3. What does Hornblower announce to the Spanish politicians after he admits fomenting revolution and delivering Natividad to El Supremo?
4. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
5. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)