|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
(a) the ship's wheel
(b) the mizzenmast
(c) a loose cannon
(d) the foremast
2. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
3. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
(b) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(c) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(d) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
4. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
(b) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
(c) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(d) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
5. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
(a) different crewmen had to be assigned to the various repair jobs
(b) the crew had to be well-fed
(c) Lydia must be lightened
(d) the depth of the water had to be tested
6. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) both his legs are smashed below the knees
(b) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
(c) one of his arms is blown off
(d) his forehead is cut by a falling block
7. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(d) typhoid fever
8. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) anger and impatience
(b) fear and cowardice
(c) curiosity and admiration
(d) pride and intolerance
9. Who was Howell?
(a) Hornblower's steward
(b) the ship's carpenter
(c) one of the warrant officers
(d) the surgeon
10. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(b) Manuel Hernandez
(c) El Supremo
11. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________.
what does she do?
(a) battens down the hatches
(b) throws anchor and the men go ashore
(c) shortens sail
(d) continues on her journey
12. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(b) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(c) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
(d) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
13. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to take a meal
(b) ordered them to sing sea shanties
(c) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
(d) ordered them to pray
14. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has come down with yellow fever
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he was captured by the French
(d) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
15. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
(b) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(c) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(d) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
Short Answer Questions
1. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
2. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
3. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
4. Who was Gerard?
5. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)