|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
(a) whiskey and bread
(b) laudanum and rum
(d) tea and scones
2. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) horses headed for the stable
(b) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
(c) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
(d) homing pigeons
3. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
(b) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
(c) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(d) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
4. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) Natividad once more
(b) an island
(c) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
(d) prize ships to capture
5. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
(a) an invitation to drop anchor in Panama for repairs
(b) a congratualtion on Hornblower's success in sinking Natividad
(c) an invitation to a celebratory dinner ashore
(d) a formal prohibition for the Lydia to drop anchor in any port in Spanish America
6. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(b) a burly man with a commanding presence
(c) an engaging man, more social than military
(d) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
7. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(b) accounting for all the cannons
(c) the repairs to the cabin
(d) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
8. What is Hornblower ordered to do by the Spanish emmissaries?
(a) to enjoy his quest for prize ships
(b) to accompany them to Panama for further orders
(c) to return to England at the first opportunity
(d) to desist in helping El Supremo and to suppress rebellion
9. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
(a) Margaret, her sister
(b) Herbert, her native servant
(c) Carmen, her South American girlfriend
(d) Hebe, her lascivious handmaid
10. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
(a) that he was returning to England
(b) that he had sunk Natividad
(c) that he had lost one-third of his crew
(d) that he was headed for the Pearl Islands
11. Who was Howell?
(a) the surgeon
(b) the ship's carpenter
(c) Hornblower's steward
(d) one of the warrant officers
12. What is the fate of Natividad?
(a) she goes up in flames, the sea swallowing her up
(b) she returns to El Supremo
(c) she escapes into the night
(d) she is captured by Lydia
13. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(c) losing the respect of his officers
(d) never being able to return home
14. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
(b) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(c) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(d) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
15. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
(b) it was the summer season
(c) it was the bay of a tropical island
(d) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
2. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
3. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
4. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
5. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)