|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What operation do Hornblower, Laurie and Lady Barbara have to perform on Williams?
(a) amputate his leg
(b) amputate his arm
(c) remove a splinter from his arm
(d) remove a splinter from his chest
2. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________.
what does she do?
(a) throws anchor and the men go ashore
(b) battens down the hatches
(c) continues on her journey
(d) shortens sail
3. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
(a) Hornblower had to prepare his ship for sailing before being discovered by the Spaniards
(b) Hornblower was falling in love with Lady Barbara and wanted to get home to his wife
(c) the heavy rains were due and would hinder repairs
(d) Hornblower's crew were impatient to sail home to England
4. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
(b) one of his arms is blown off
(c) both his legs are smashed below the knees
(d) his forehead is cut by a falling block
5. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
(b) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(c) Hornblower's nasty words
(d) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
6. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
(a) warm food for the wounded
(b) fresh air
(d) sterilized surgical instruments
7. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has come down with yellow fever
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he was captured by the French
(d) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
8. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
(b) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(c) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
(d) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
9. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
(a) his mother
(b) an angel
(c) his wife
(d) his sister
10. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
(b) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(c) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(d) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
11. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Coiba
(b) the isle of Canabra
(c) the isle of Rosita
(d) a hidden cove of Panama
12. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) 45 seamen
(b) approximately one half of her crew
(c) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(d) more than one third of her crew
13. What is Hornblower ordered to do by the Spanish emmissaries?
(a) to accompany them to Panama for further orders
(b) to return to England at the first opportunity
(c) to enjoy his quest for prize ships
(d) to desist in helping El Supremo and to suppress rebellion
14. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to sing sea shanties
(b) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
(c) ordered them to pray
(d) ordered them to take a meal
15. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
(a) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a coxswain is.
(b) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a foremast is.
(c) Lady Barbara refers to the deck of her cabin as the "floor".
(d) Lady Barbara doesn't know what "Beat to Quarters" means
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
2. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
3. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
4. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
5. Who is the captain of Natividad?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)