|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(c) typhoid fever
2. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) accounting for all the cannons
(b) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
(c) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(d) the repairs to the cabin
3. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) approximately one half of her crew
(b) 45 seamen
(c) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(d) more than one third of her crew
4. What does Hornblower announce to the Spanish politicians after he admits fomenting revolution and delivering Natividad to El Supremo?
(a) that he will sail immediately for England
(b) that he continue fomenting revolution against Spain
(c) he will call on the Spanish governor at Panama and seek to destroy or capture Natividad
(d) admits he was foolish in siding with such a madman as El Supremo under any circumstance
5. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
(a) snow-peaked mountains
(b) volcanic peaks
(c) bananna trees
(d) pink sand beaches
6. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
(a) the heavy rains were due and would hinder repairs
(b) Hornblower's crew were impatient to sail home to England
(c) Hornblower had to prepare his ship for sailing before being discovered by the Spaniards
(d) Hornblower was falling in love with Lady Barbara and wanted to get home to his wife
7. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(b) never being able to return home
(c) losing the respect of his officers
8. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
(a) his wife
(b) an angel
(c) his sister
(d) his mother
9. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(b) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
(c) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
(d) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
10. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) a burly man with a commanding presence
(b) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
(c) an engaging man, more social than military
(d) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
11. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) anger and impatience
(b) curiosity and admiration
(c) fear and cowardice
(d) pride and intolerance
12. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to take a meal
(b) ordered them to pray
(c) ordered them to sing sea shanties
(d) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
13. Describe Lady Barbara.
(a) She is short, dark-haired , plump and fair with pink cheeks
(b) She is a red-head with a fiery temper
(c) She is 27, tanned and from an influential English family
(d) She is a delicate blond, not wanting to get her hands dirty or soil her clothes
14. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
(b) talking with herself
(c) confiding in Hebe, her maid
(d) firting with the crew
15. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
(a) promotion to Commander or the first lieutenant
(b) no promotion
(c) promotion to admiral
(d) promotion to captain
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
2. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
3. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
4. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
5. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)