|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Rosita
(b) the isle of Canabra
(c) the isle of Coiba
(d) a hidden cove of Panama
2. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(b) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(c) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(d) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
3. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(b) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(c) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(d) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
4. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(b) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(c) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(d) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
5. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(a) never being able to return home
(c) losing the respect of his officers
6. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) she waits for Natividad to approach her
(b) two of her boats tow her
(c) she waits for the wind to rise
(d) she wets her sails
7. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
(a) Hornblower's crew were impatient to sail home to England
(b) Hornblower had to prepare his ship for sailing before being discovered by the Spaniards
(c) the heavy rains were due and would hinder repairs
(d) Hornblower was falling in love with Lady Barbara and wanted to get home to his wife
8. What is the cockpit?
(a) the surgeon's area
(b) the area where the pumps are located
(c) the cook's area
(d) the area where the coxswain resides
9. What was the indication that Lydia could only just hold in check the water coming aboard through the holes
shot in her hull?
(a) the men were tired of manning the pumps
(b) there was water on deck
(c) the ship sat lower in the water
(d) clear white water gushed from the pumps
10. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(b) typhoid fever
11. Who was Howell?
(a) the ship's carpenter
(b) the surgeon
(c) one of the warrant officers
(d) Hornblower's steward
12. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
(b) talking with herself
(c) confiding in Hebe, her maid
(d) firting with the crew
13. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
(b) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(c) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
(d) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
14. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he was captured by the French
(b) that he has come down with yellow fever
(c) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
(d) that he has married back in England
15. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(a) El Supremo
(d) Manuel Hernandez
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
2. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________. what does she do?
3. What is the fate of Natividad?
4. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
5. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)