|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
(b) confiding in Hebe, her maid
(c) firting with the crew
(d) talking with herself
2. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) it was the summer season
(b) it was the bay of a tropical island
(c) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
(d) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
3. What was El Supremo dressed in when presented to Hornblower aboard the Spanish lugger?
(a) an old Spanish uniform
(b) his finest regalia
(c) he was naked
(d) dirty rags
4. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has come down with yellow fever
(b) that he was captured by the French
(c) that he has married back in England
(d) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
5. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
(b) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
(c) homing pigeons
(d) horses headed for the stable
6. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) raises a white flag of truce
(b) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(c) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(d) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
7. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
(a) Lydia is totally dismasted, unable to be repaired
(b) Her foremast is dismasted and her carronades are damaged
(c) the steering wheel is blown away by a cannon
(d) Her mizzenmast is gone taking the top gallant mast with it while she drags wreckage alongside
8. What does Hornblower announce to the Spanish politicians after he admits fomenting revolution and delivering Natividad to El Supremo?
(a) that he will sail immediately for England
(b) he will call on the Spanish governor at Panama and seek to destroy or capture Natividad
(c) that he continue fomenting revolution against Spain
(d) admits he was foolish in siding with such a madman as El Supremo under any circumstance
9. What could Lydia not hope to survive in her present condition?
(a) an attack by pirates
(b) another sea battle
(c) the storms of Cape Horn
(d) another seven months at sea
10. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
(a) a loose cannon
(b) the mizzenmast
(c) the foremast
(d) the ship's wheel
11. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) prize ships to capture
(b) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
(c) Natividad once more
(d) an island
12. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(c) typhoid fever
13. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(b) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
(c) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
(d) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
14. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
(b) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
(c) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(d) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
15. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(b) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(c) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(d) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
Short Answer Questions
1. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
2. Who was Gerard?
3. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
4. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
5. Describe Lady Barbara.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)