|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
(a) the foremast
(b) the mizzenmast
(c) the ship's wheel
(d) a loose cannon
2. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) 45 seamen
(b) more than one third of her crew
(c) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(d) approximately one half of her crew
3. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(b) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(c) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(d) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
4. What could Lydia not hope to survive in her present condition?
(a) another sea battle
(b) the storms of Cape Horn
(c) another seven months at sea
(d) an attack by pirates
5. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
(a) the depth of the water had to be tested
(b) Lydia must be lightened
(c) the crew had to be well-fed
(d) different crewmen had to be assigned to the various repair jobs
6. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
(a) promotion to captain
(b) promotion to admiral
(c) promotion to Commander or the first lieutenant
(d) no promotion
7. What does Hornblower learn from the communiques handed him by the men who come aboard?
(a) Spain is now England's ally
(b) Hornblower is under arrest for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(c) Hornblower is ordered to return to England
(d) Hornblower and his crew are invited to a dinner on shore
8. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
(a) the orlop deck
(b) Hornblower's cabin again
(c) Bush's cabin
(d) Gerard's cabin
9. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) a burly man with a commanding presence
(b) an engaging man, more social than military
(c) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(d) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
10. What operation do Hornblower, Laurie and Lady Barbara have to perform on Williams?
(a) remove a splinter from his arm
(b) amputate his leg
(c) remove a splinter from his chest
(d) amputate his arm
11. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(a) the pearl centers of Central America
(d) Cape Horn
12. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
(b) warm food for the wounded
(c) sterilized surgical instruments
(d) fresh air
13. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he was captured by the French
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
(d) that he has come down with yellow fever
14. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(b) losing the respect of his officers
(c) never being able to return home
15. How long ago had Hornblower filled his storerooms and water barrels?
(a) a fortnight ago
(b) six weeks ago
(c) a month ago
(d) seven weeks ago
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
2. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
3. Who was Gerard?
4. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
5. Who was Howell?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)