|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
(a) that they spat on him
(b) that they didn't feed him
(c) they were going to hang him without his being able to make make peace with God
(d) that they laughed at him and he became their chief source of entertainment
2. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(b) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
(c) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(d) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
3. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Coiba
(b) a hidden cove of Panama
(c) the isle of Canabra
(d) the isle of Rosita
4. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's nasty words
(b) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(c) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
(d) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
5. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
(a) to Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(b) below to the cable tier
(c) to the cockpit
(d) to the surgeon's cabin
6. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
(a) the ship's wheel
(b) a loose cannon
(c) the mizzenmast
(d) the foremast
7. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
(a) bananna trees
(b) snow-peaked mountains
(c) pink sand beaches
(d) volcanic peaks
8. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
(a) fresh air
(b) sterilized surgical instruments
(c) warm food for the wounded
9. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to sing sea shanties
(b) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
(c) ordered them to take a meal
(d) ordered them to pray
10. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) one of his arms is blown off
(b) his forehead is cut by a falling block
(c) both his legs are smashed below the knees
(d) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
11. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(a) the pearl centers of Central America
(b) Cape Horn
12. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
(b) confiding in Hebe, her maid
(c) talking with herself
(d) firting with the crew
13. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
14. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
(a) a formal prohibition for the Lydia to drop anchor in any port in Spanish America
(b) an invitation to a celebratory dinner ashore
(c) a congratualtion on Hornblower's success in sinking Natividad
(d) an invitation to drop anchor in Panama for repairs
15. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(b) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
(c) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
(d) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died after having both legs smashed below the knees?
2. What is the fate of Natividad?
3. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________. what does she do?
4. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
5. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)