|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
(a) to Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(b) to the surgeon's cabin
(c) below to the cable tier
(d) to the cockpit
2. Who was Gerard?
(a) the 3rd Lieutenant
(b) the cook
(c) the handsome womanizing gunner
(d) the half wit coxswain
3. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) she wets her sails
(b) she waits for Natividad to approach her
(c) she waits for the wind to rise
(d) two of her boats tow her
4. What operation do Hornblower, Laurie and Lady Barbara have to perform on Williams?
(a) amputate his leg
(b) amputate his arm
(c) remove a splinter from his arm
(d) remove a splinter from his chest
5. What is the fate of Natividad?
(a) she escapes into the night
(b) she is captured by Lydia
(c) she goes up in flames, the sea swallowing her up
(d) she returns to El Supremo
6. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) homing pigeons
(b) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
(c) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
(d) horses headed for the stable
7. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's nasty words
(b) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
(c) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(d) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
8. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(c) El Supremo
(d) Manuel Hernandez
9. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
(a) Gerard's cabin
(b) the orlop deck
(c) Bush's cabin
(d) Hornblower's cabin again
10. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
(a) the crew had to be well-fed
(b) Lydia must be lightened
(c) different crewmen had to be assigned to the various repair jobs
(d) the depth of the water had to be tested
11. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
(a) Herbert, her native servant
(b) Hebe, her lascivious handmaid
(c) Carmen, her South American girlfriend
(d) Margaret, her sister
12. What was the indication that Lydia could only just hold in check the water coming aboard through the holes
shot in her hull?
(a) the ship sat lower in the water
(b) there was water on deck
(c) clear white water gushed from the pumps
(d) the men were tired of manning the pumps
13. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(b) never being able to return home
(d) losing the respect of his officers
14. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
(b) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
(c) thank them for their loyal service
(d) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
15. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Coiba
(b) a hidden cove of Panama
(c) the isle of Rosita
(d) the isle of Canabra
Short Answer Questions
1. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
2. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
3. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________. what does she do?
4. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
5. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)