|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Howell?
(a) Hornblower's steward
(b) one of the warrant officers
(c) the ship's carpenter
(d) the surgeon
2. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) 45 seamen
(b) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(c) approximately one half of her crew
(d) more than one third of her crew
3. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
(b) accounting for all the cannons
(c) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(d) the repairs to the cabin
4. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(b) Cape Horn
(d) the pearl centers of Central America
5. What is the cockpit?
(a) the surgeon's area
(b) the cook's area
(c) the area where the coxswain resides
(d) the area where the pumps are located
6. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(b) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(c) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(d) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
7. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(b) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
(c) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(d) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
8. What could Lydia not hope to survive in her present condition?
(a) the storms of Cape Horn
(b) another sea battle
(c) an attack by pirates
(d) another seven months at sea
9. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
(a) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a foremast is.
(b) Lady Barbara doesn't know what "Beat to Quarters" means
(c) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a coxswain is.
(d) Lady Barbara refers to the deck of her cabin as the "floor".
10. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
(a) different crewmen had to be assigned to the various repair jobs
(b) the crew had to be well-fed
(c) the depth of the water had to be tested
(d) Lydia must be lightened
11. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
(b) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
(c) it was the summer season
(d) it was the bay of a tropical island
12. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
(a) promotion to Commander or the first lieutenant
(b) promotion to captain
(c) no promotion
(d) promotion to admiral
13. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(a) El Supremo
(b) Manuel Hernandez
14. What does Hornblower announce to the Spanish politicians after he admits fomenting revolution and delivering Natividad to El Supremo?
(a) that he will sail immediately for England
(b) he will call on the Spanish governor at Panama and seek to destroy or capture Natividad
(c) that he continue fomenting revolution against Spain
(d) admits he was foolish in siding with such a madman as El Supremo under any circumstance
15. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
(a) that they spat on him
(b) they were going to hang him without his being able to make make peace with God
(c) that they didn't feed him
(d) that they laughed at him and he became their chief source of entertainment
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died after having both legs smashed below the knees?
2. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
3. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
4. Describe Lady Barbara.
5. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)