|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
(a) some canto in the Inferno
(b) his sickroom as a child
(c) the inside of a dark cave
(d) an orderly hospital room
2. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) two of her boats tow her
(b) she waits for Natividad to approach her
(c) she waits for the wind to rise
(d) she wets her sails
3. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
(a) promotion to captain
(b) promotion to admiral
(c) promotion to Commander or the first lieutenant
(d) no promotion
4. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) thank them for their loyal service
(b) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
(c) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
(d) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
5. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(b) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(c) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(d) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
6. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) the isle of Rosita
(b) the isle of Canabra
(c) the isle of Coiba
(d) a hidden cove of Panama
7. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) it was the bay of a tropical island
(b) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
(c) it was the summer season
(d) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
8. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has come down with yellow fever
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
(d) that he was captured by the French
9. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
(b) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
(c) homing pigeons
(d) horses headed for the stable
10. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
(a) the night watches
(b) the carronnades
(c) the chain pumps
(d) the watches over the wounded
11. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(b) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
(c) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
(d) Hornblower's nasty words
12. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
(b) firting with the crew
(c) confiding in Hebe, her maid
(d) talking with herself
13. Who was Gerard?
(a) the cook
(b) the half wit coxswain
(c) the handsome womanizing gunner
(d) the 3rd Lieutenant
14. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
(a) Lydia is totally dismasted, unable to be repaired
(b) Her foremast is dismasted and her carronades are damaged
(c) Her mizzenmast is gone taking the top gallant mast with it while she drags wreckage alongside
(d) the steering wheel is blown away by a cannon
15. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
(a) Hornblower was falling in love with Lady Barbara and wanted to get home to his wife
(b) Hornblower's crew were impatient to sail home to England
(c) the heavy rains were due and would hinder repairs
(d) Hornblower had to prepare his ship for sailing before being discovered by the Spaniards
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
2. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
3. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
4. What is the fate of Natividad?
5. What is the cockpit?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)