|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) an island
(b) Natividad once more
(c) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
(d) prize ships to capture
2. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
(b) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(c) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(d) raises a white flag of truce
3. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
(a) the depth of the water had to be tested
(b) the crew had to be well-fed
(c) Lydia must be lightened
(d) different crewmen had to be assigned to the various repair jobs
4. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
(a) his sister
(b) his mother
(c) his wife
(d) an angel
5. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(b) Manuel Hernandez
(d) El Supremo
6. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
(a) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a coxswain is.
(b) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a foremast is.
(c) Lady Barbara doesn't know what "Beat to Quarters" means
(d) Lady Barbara refers to the deck of her cabin as the "floor".
7. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
8. What was El Supremo dressed in when presented to Hornblower aboard the Spanish lugger?
(a) dirty rags
(b) his finest regalia
(c) an old Spanish uniform
(d) he was naked
9. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) thank them for their loyal service
(b) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
(c) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
(d) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
10. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) fear and cowardice
(b) anger and impatience
(c) curiosity and admiration
(d) pride and intolerance
11. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
(a) Her mizzenmast is gone taking the top gallant mast with it while she drags wreckage alongside
(b) the steering wheel is blown away by a cannon
(c) Lydia is totally dismasted, unable to be repaired
(d) Her foremast is dismasted and her carronades are damaged
12. What operation do Hornblower, Laurie and Lady Barbara have to perform on Williams?
(a) amputate his arm
(b) remove a splinter from his arm
(c) amputate his leg
(d) remove a splinter from his chest
13. What difficulty does Hornblower encounter after his visit with the Viceroy and his return to Lydia?
(a) He finds out Hebe, Lady Barbara's maid, is a prostitute
(b) The anchor is heavily fouled.
(c) His men became drunk during his absence
(d) Lady Barbara hung her underwear on deck to dry
14. How long ago had Hornblower filled his storerooms and water barrels?
(a) six weeks ago
(b) a month ago
(c) seven weeks ago
(d) a fortnight ago
15. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) 45 seamen
(b) more than one third of her crew
(c) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(d) approximately one half of her crew
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower learn from the communiques handed him by the men who come aboard?
2. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
3. Describe Lady Barbara.
4. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
5. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)