|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) 45 seamen
(b) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(c) more than one third of her crew
(d) approximately one half of her crew
2. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
(a) the orlop deck
(b) Gerard's cabin
(c) Hornblower's cabin again
(d) Bush's cabin
3. What is Hornblower ordered to do by the Spanish emmissaries?
(a) to accompany them to Panama for further orders
(b) to return to England at the first opportunity
(c) to enjoy his quest for prize ships
(d) to desist in helping El Supremo and to suppress rebellion
4. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(b) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(c) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(d) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
5. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
(a) below to the cable tier
(b) to the surgeon's cabin
(c) to Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(d) to the cockpit
6. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
(a) a formal prohibition for the Lydia to drop anchor in any port in Spanish America
(b) an invitation to a celebratory dinner ashore
(c) a congratualtion on Hornblower's success in sinking Natividad
(d) an invitation to drop anchor in Panama for repairs
7. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
(b) his forehead is cut by a falling block
(c) one of his arms is blown off
(d) both his legs are smashed below the knees
8. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
9. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
(a) his mother
(b) his wife
(c) an angel
(d) his sister
10. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) accounting for all the cannons
(b) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(c) the repairs to the cabin
(d) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
11. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
(a) snow-peaked mountains
(b) volcanic peaks
(c) pink sand beaches
(d) bananna trees
12. What difficulty does Hornblower encounter after his visit with the Viceroy and his return to Lydia?
(a) His men became drunk during his absence
(b) He finds out Hebe, Lady Barbara's maid, is a prostitute
(c) The anchor is heavily fouled.
(d) Lady Barbara hung her underwear on deck to dry
13. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
(a) the inside of a dark cave
(b) an orderly hospital room
(c) some canto in the Inferno
(d) his sickroom as a child
14. Who died after having both legs smashed below the knees?
15. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) fear and cowardice
(b) pride and intolerance
(c) anger and impatience
(d) curiosity and admiration
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Gerard?
2. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
3. Before Lydia could be beached for the carpenters to work on her bottom what had to be done?
4. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
5. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)