|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) prize ships to capture
(b) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
(c) an island
(d) Natividad once more
2. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(b) typhoid fever
3. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
(b) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
(c) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(d) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
4. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
(a) they were going to hang him without his being able to make make peace with God
(b) that they didn't feed him
(c) that they spat on him
(d) that they laughed at him and he became their chief source of entertainment
5. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
(a) that he was returning to England
(b) that he was headed for the Pearl Islands
(c) that he had lost one-third of his crew
(d) that he had sunk Natividad
6. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
(a) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a coxswain is.
(b) Lady Barbara refers to the deck of her cabin as the "floor".
(c) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a foremast is.
(d) Lady Barbara doesn't know what "Beat to Quarters" means
7. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) an engaging man, more social than military
(b) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(c) a burly man with a commanding presence
(d) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
8. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) raises a white flag of truce
(b) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(c) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(d) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
9. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has come down with yellow fever
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
(d) that he was captured by the French
10. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
(a) laudanum and rum
(b) tea and scones
(c) whiskey and bread
11. Who was Howell?
(a) Hornblower's steward
(b) the surgeon
(c) one of the warrant officers
(d) the ship's carpenter
12. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
(a) to the surgeon's cabin
(b) to Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(c) to the cockpit
(d) below to the cable tier
13. What difficulty does Hornblower encounter after his visit with the Viceroy and his return to Lydia?
(a) He finds out Hebe, Lady Barbara's maid, is a prostitute
(b) Lady Barbara hung her underwear on deck to dry
(c) The anchor is heavily fouled.
(d) His men became drunk during his absence
14. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
(a) the night watches
(b) the watches over the wounded
(c) the carronnades
(d) the chain pumps
15. How many casualties did Lydia suffer in the battle with Natividad?
(a) more than one third of her crew
(b) approximately one-quarter of her crew
(c) approximately one half of her crew
(d) 45 seamen
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
2. What does Hornblower learn from the communiques handed him by the men who come aboard?
3. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
4. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
5. What is the cockpit?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)