|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
(b) laudanum and rum
(c) tea and scones
(d) whiskey and bread
2. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
(b) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(c) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
(d) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
3. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) raises a white flag of truce
(b) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
(c) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(d) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
4. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
(b) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
(c) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(d) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
5. Why was time of utmost importance in repairing Lydia to sail home?
(a) Hornblower had to prepare his ship for sailing before being discovered by the Spaniards
(b) Hornblower's crew were impatient to sail home to England
(c) Hornblower was falling in love with Lady Barbara and wanted to get home to his wife
(d) the heavy rains were due and would hinder repairs
6. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(a) the pearl centers of Central America
(b) Cape Horn
7. What is the fate of Natividad?
(a) she is captured by Lydia
(b) she returns to El Supremo
(c) she goes up in flames, the sea swallowing her up
(d) she escapes into the night
8. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
(b) it was the bay of a tropical island
(c) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
(d) it was the summer season
9. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) two of her boats tow her
(b) she waits for the wind to rise
(c) she wets her sails
(d) she waits for Natividad to approach her
10. What is the cockpit?
(a) the surgeon's area
(b) the area where the pumps are located
(c) the area where the coxswain resides
(d) the cook's area
11. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(a) Manuel Hernandez
(d) El Supremo
12. What difficulty does Hornblower encounter after his visit with the Viceroy and his return to Lydia?
(a) Lady Barbara hung her underwear on deck to dry
(b) He finds out Hebe, Lady Barbara's maid, is a prostitute
(c) The anchor is heavily fouled.
(d) His men became drunk during his absence
13. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
(b) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(c) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(d) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
14. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
15. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
(a) that they spat on him
(b) that they laughed at him and he became their chief source of entertainment
(c) that they didn't feed him
(d) they were going to hang him without his being able to make make peace with God
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
2. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
3. Who was Gerard?
4. What does Hornblower learn from the communiques handed him by the men who come aboard?
5. Describe Lady Barbara.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)