|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is secured on the deck of Lydia after the sea battle with Natividad?
(a) the foremast
(b) a loose cannon
(c) the mizzenmast
(d) the ship's wheel
2. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) homing pigeons
(b) horses headed for the stable
(c) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
(d) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
3. Who was Gerard?
(a) the 3rd Lieutenant
(b) the handsome womanizing gunner
(c) the half wit coxswain
(d) the cook
4. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
(a) remind them they had had seven months of heavy drilling
(b) thank them for their loyal service
(c) gave them a talk on loyalty to the Crown
(d) send them to breakfast to have full bellies going into action
5. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) an engaging man, more social than military
(b) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
(c) a burly man with a commanding presence
(d) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
6. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
(b) raises a white flag of truce
(c) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(d) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
7. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) an island
(b) Natividad once more
(c) prize ships to capture
(d) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
8. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________.
what does she do?
(a) continues on her journey
(b) shortens sail
(c) throws anchor and the men go ashore
(d) battens down the hatches
9. Who is the captain of Natividad?
(b) Manuel Hernandez
(c) El Supremo
10. What did the letter the Spaniard handed Hornblower contain?
(a) a congratualtion on Hornblower's success in sinking Natividad
(b) a formal prohibition for the Lydia to drop anchor in any port in Spanish America
(c) an invitation to a celebratory dinner ashore
(d) an invitation to drop anchor in Panama for repairs
11. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) talking with herself
(b) confiding in Hebe, her maid
(c) firting with the crew
(d) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
12. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(c) losing the respect of his officers
(d) never being able to return home
13. What is Hornblower ordered to do by the Spanish emmissaries?
(a) to desist in helping El Supremo and to suppress rebellion
(b) to enjoy his quest for prize ships
(c) to return to England at the first opportunity
(d) to accompany them to Panama for further orders
14. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) she waits for the wind to rise
(b) she wets her sails
(c) she waits for Natividad to approach her
(d) two of her boats tow her
15. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
(a) volcanic peaks
(b) bananna trees
(c) snow-peaked mountains
(d) pink sand beaches
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Lady Barbara.
2. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
3. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
4. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
5. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)