|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(b) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(c) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(d) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
2. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
(b) Hornblower's nasty words
(c) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(d) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
3. What does Lydia sight after a few days ?
(a) Natividad once more
(b) an island
(c) prize ships to capture
(d) a Spanish ship flying a flag of truce
4. When Lydia and Natividad steer a collision course, what does Hornblower do unexpectedly?
(a) raises a white flag of truce
(b) veers to leeward, yielding the weather gauge
(c) calls his officers together to confer on what's best to do
(d) retreats to a safe distance away to plan his next move
5. Where could Hornblower replenish his supplies on the voyage home to England?
(a) St. Helena, Sierra Leone, or Gibraltar
(b) Peru, Argentina, Chile
(c) Cape Horn, Chile, the Falkand Islands
(d) Panama, Peru, Nicaragua
6. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
(b) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(c) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
(d) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
7. How long ago had Hornblower filled his storerooms and water barrels?
(a) seven weeks ago
(b) a fortnight ago
(c) a month ago
(d) six weeks ago
8. What other communique was handed to Hornblower by the Spaniards who boarded Lydia?
(a) a dinner invitation to come ashore and dine with Spanish officials
(b) a letter from Lady Barbara requesting return passage to England.
(c) a letter condemning Hornblower for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(d) a letter with detailed plans on how to recapture Natividad
9. What habit had Lady Barbara acquired in her forced loneliness?
(a) writing long letters to England , though they couldn't be sent
(b) firting with the crew
(c) talking with herself
(d) confiding in Hebe, her maid
10. Where does Lady Barbara take up residence aboard Lydia, displacing the person who resided there before?
(a) in Polwheal, Hornblower's steward's cabin
(b) In 1st Lieutenant Bush's cabin
(c) in surgeon, Laurie's cabin
(d) in Captain Hornblower's cabin
11. What does Hornblower learn from the communiques handed him by the men who come aboard?
(a) Spain is now England's ally
(b) Hornblower is ordered to return to England
(c) Hornblower is under arrest for handing Natividad to El Supremo
(d) Hornblower and his crew are invited to a dinner on shore
12. During the repairs on the ship what is Hornblower's main concern?
(a) the repairs to the cabin
(b) preparing for renewed battle with Natividad
(c) the lifting of the heavy spar that will serve as the jury mizzen
(d) accounting for all the cannons
13. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
(a) the carronnades
(b) the night watches
(c) the watches over the wounded
(d) the chain pumps
14. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
(a) one of his arms is blown off
(b) both his legs are smashed below the knees
(c) his forehead is cut by a falling block
(d) his eye is put out by a flying splinter
15. What was the grim nemesis awaiting men with open wounds in those pre-antiseptic days?
(c) typhoid fever
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
2. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
3. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
4. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
5. What shocked Hornblower about the way the Spaniards treated El Supremo?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)