|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the Viceroy at Panama.
(a) a timid man, unready to commit forces to attack the rebellion
(b) a combative man eager to quell the rebellion-
(c) a burly man with a commanding presence
(d) an engaging man, more social than military
2. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
(a) the night watches
(b) the watches over the wounded
(c) the chain pumps
(d) the carronnades
3. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he has married back in England
(b) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
(c) that he has come down with yellow fever
(d) that he was captured by the French
4. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________.
what does she do?
(a) throws anchor and the men go ashore
(b) shortens sail
(c) battens down the hatches
(d) continues on her journey
5. Who accompanies Lady Barbara ?
(a) Carmen, her South American girlfriend
(b) Margaret, her sister
(c) Herbert, her native servant
(d) Hebe, her lascivious handmaid
6. What was the reaction of the Spanish officer who came aboard the Lydia?
(a) pride and intolerance
(b) anger and impatience
(c) fear and cowardice
(d) curiosity and admiration
7. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
(a) bananna trees
(b) pink sand beaches
(c) volcanic peaks
(d) snow-peaked mountains
8. What did C.S. Forester compare the crew to now that they knew they were homeward bound?
(a) horses headed for the stable
(b) a crew of chattering, playing monkeys
(c) homing pigeons
(d) faithful dogs eager to see their masters
9. Where did Hornblower take Lydia to be repaired?
(a) a hidden cove of Panama
(b) the isle of Coiba
(c) the isle of Canabra
(d) the isle of Rosita
10. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
(a) an orderly hospital room
(b) some canto in the Inferno
(c) his sickroom as a child
(d) the inside of a dark cave
11. What did Hornblower order done when the crew became depressed and discouraged?
(a) ordered them to pray
(b) ordered them to take a meal
(c) ordered the red-haired Sullivan to play the fiddle and the men to dance
(d) ordered them to sing sea shanties
12. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(a) the pearl centers of Central America
(c) Cape Horn
13. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's nasty words
(b) Hornblower's downcast countenance
(c) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
(d) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
14. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
(b) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(c) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(d) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
15. Who was Gerard?
(a) the handsome womanizing gunner
(b) the 3rd Lieutenant
(c) the cook
(d) the half wit coxswain
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
2. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
3. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
4. What operation do Hornblower, Laurie and Lady Barbara have to perform on Williams?
5. What does Hornblower learn from the communiques handed him by the men who come aboard?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)