|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the wind dies, how does Lydia approach Natividad to resume battle?
(a) she waits for the wind to rise
(b) two of her boats tow her
(c) she waits for Natividad to approach her
(d) she wets her sails
2. How is Lydia damaged during the fierce sea battle with Natividad?
(a) Her mizzenmast is gone taking the top gallant mast with it while she drags wreckage alongside
(b) the steering wheel is blown away by a cannon
(c) Her foremast is dismasted and her carronades are damaged
(d) Lydia is totally dismasted, unable to be repaired
3. When Hornblower sights Natividad in the heavy weather, where does he send Wellesley for safety?
(a) to the surgeon's cabin
(b) to the cockpit
(c) below to the cable tier
(d) to Lieutenant Bush's cabin
4. What is the cockpit?
(a) the area where the coxswain resides
(b) the surgeon's area
(c) the area where the pumps are located
(d) the cook's area
5. What is the fate of Natividad?
(a) she is captured by Lydia
(b) she returns to El Supremo
(c) she escapes into the night
(d) she goes up in flames, the sea swallowing her up
6. What is Hornblower's destination after leaving El Supremo and his rag tag army in Nicaragua?
(b) Cape Horn
(d) the pearl centers of Central America
7. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________.
what does she do?
(a) continues on her journey
(b) shortens sail
(c) battens down the hatches
(d) throws anchor and the men go ashore
8. What is the gaffe Lady Barbara makes which eases Hornblower's mind about her knowledge of ships and her intelligence?
(a) Lady Barbara refers to the deck of her cabin as the "floor".
(b) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a foremast is.
(c) Lady Barbara doesn't know what a coxswain is.
(d) Lady Barbara doesn't know what "Beat to Quarters" means
9. What was the chief fear Hornblower had going into battle?
(a) never being able to return home
(d) losing the respect of his officers
10. What was irksome to the Spanish officer after he had denied Lydia's dropping anchor on the Spanish Main?
(a) Hornblower's friendly, cavalier dismissal
(b) Hornblower's nasty words
(c) Hornblower's putting down Spanish America
(d) Hornblower's downcast countenance
11. What is Hornblower ordered to do by the Spanish emmissaries?
(a) to enjoy his quest for prize ships
(b) to desist in helping El Supremo and to suppress rebellion
(c) to return to England at the first opportunity
(d) to accompany them to Panama for further orders
12. What does Hornblower inform Lady Barbara about her brother, Arthur?
(a) that he was captured by the French
(b) that he has married back in England
(c) that he has come down with yellow fever
(d) that he has gained a single military victory in the war
13. What did Hornblower tell the Spanish officer who boarded Lydia when Lydia was headed for Panama?
(a) that he was returning to England
(b) that he had lost one-third of his crew
(c) that he had sunk Natividad
(d) that he was headed for the Pearl Islands
14. When Galbraith was dying, who did he think Lady Barbara was?
(a) his mother
(b) his wife
(c) an angel
(d) his sister
15. Why was it so hot in the little bay where Lydia dropped anchor?
(a) it was the summer season
(b) it wasn't that hot , the crew was just used to being at sea
(c) it was the bay of a tropical island
(d) the lofty mountains all about cut off the wind
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lady Barbara say they needed in the cockpit?
2. What had Hornblower remembered to do for his crew before sending them into action?
3. Where has Lady Barbara been moved to?
4. How is Bush injured during the battle with Natividad?
5. Who is the captain of Natividad?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)