|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months at sea were they without touching land?
(c) seven and a half
2. What had Hornblower been ordered to do with Lydia?
(a) stay out of sight until arrival at the Gulf of Fonseca
(b) sink it rather than surrender
(c) use it to immmedately take Natividad
(d) hand it over to El Supremo
3. How is Lydia successful in taking Natividad?
(a) by Hornblower's talent as a captain
(b) by using her cannonades
(c) by hiding behind an island and taking Natividad by surprise
(d) by superior crew skills
4. Who replaced Hankey, the surgeon who died before the novel opened?
5. The novel takes place during what war?
(a) the Seven Years' War
(b) the French Revolution
(c) the War of 1812
(d) Napoleonic War between France and England
6. What did Hornblower deplore about his body?
(a) his pot belly
(b) his big feet
(c) his thin legs
(d) his large nose
7. How many guns does the H.M.S. Lydia have on board?
8. In the restocking of Lydia, what did Hernandez provide instead of flour?
(b) hominy grits
(d) ground maize
9. How did the British Admiralty want to use the Spanish possessions?
(a) to use them to send British convicts there for imprisonment
(b) for British commerce and trade
(c) to establish British settlements
(d) to moor their ships in the harbors
10. What does Captain Hornblower do at the same time every morning?
(a) He climbs the foremast.
(b) He takes to the quarter deck and paces for an hour.
(c) He drills his crew.
(d) He commands Lydia to beat to quarters.
11. With what country had Spain recently sided against England?
12. Who was Galbraith?
(a) 3rd Lieutenant originally from Scotland
(b) coxswain, originally from Ireland
(d) steward, originally from Wales
13. What did Hornblower do when he didn't know how to respond to something someone said?
(a) He blushed
(b) He agreed with whatever was said
(c) He cleared his throat with a "Ha-----h'm"
(d) He lied
14. How many decks did the Spanish ship Natividad have?
15. Who is Gerard?
(a) 2nd lieutenant
(b) the ship's surgeon
(c) warrant officer
Short Answer Questions
1. How many guns does Natividad have on board?
2. What did Hornblower do upon sighting land?
3. Who is Polwheal?
4. What did the burgoo the captain ate for breakfast consist of?
5. What did Hornblower feel bred mutiny?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)