|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hornblower had been how many years at sea?
2. How long after sighting the Horn had Hornblower brought Lydia to her destination?
(a) six weeks
(b) 3 months
(c) seven months
(d) seven weeks
3. How many decks did the Spanish ship Natividad have?
4. What were the huts that Hornblower saw on his way to the palace made of?
(c) local volcanic stone
5. A how-many-gun salute does El Supremo demand he have on boarding Lydia?
6. What did Hornblower deplore about his body?
(a) his thin legs
(b) his large nose
(c) his big feet
(d) his pot belly
7. Where does Hornblower conclude Lydia has made perfect landfall?
(a) on the Gulf of Sequia
(b) on the coast of Nicaragua
(c) on the Gulf of Fonseca
(d) on the coast of Ecuador
8. What had long been a dream of the British government?
(a) starting a rebellion in the Spanish American colonies
(b) establishing colonies in South America
(c) having better ships and seamen than any other country
(d) becoming the most powerful country in the world
9. What did the flag that Natividad now flew look like?
(a) blue with a yellow star in the middle
(b) yellow with a blue star in the middle
(c) black with a red star in the middle
(d) green with a yellow star in the middle
10. How many British casualties are there during the capturing of Natividad?
(d) not one
11. How many guns does the H.M.S. Lydia have on board?
12. Who was Galbraith?
(a) 3rd Lieutenant originally from Scotland
(b) coxswain, originally from Ireland
(d) steward, originally from Wales
13. Which of the crew likes to rap the seamen with his rattan cane?
(a) 3rd Lieutenant Galbraith
(b) Hornblower's steward, Polwheal
(c) boatswain Harrison
(d) 1st Lieutenant Bush
14. What request did Hornblower make of El Supremo?
(a) to come to dinner aboard the Lydia
(b) to untie the "unenlightened" men he had staked in the sun
(c) to re-stock Lydia with food, water and other necessities
(d) to sail with him to Panama
15. How does El Supremo view his subjects?
(a) as his children
(b) as his enemies
(c) as loyal servants
(d) as beasts
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the whole crew of Lydia spring into action on approaching Natividad?
2. Hornblower is ordered to go to the palace of whom?
3. Why does Hornblower think he was selected for this mission?
4. How far above the deck is the foremast gallant top?
5. Why does Hornblower have the Spanish officers from Natividad shackled below on Lydia?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)