|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hornblower deplore about his body?
(a) his large nose
(b) his big feet
(c) his pot belly
(d) his thin legs
2. In the restocking of Lydia, what did Hernandez provide instead of flour?
(a) ground maize
(c) hominy grits
3. What had long been a dream of the British government?
(a) becoming the most powerful country in the world
(b) starting a rebellion in the Spanish American colonies
(c) having better ships and seamen than any other country
(d) establishing colonies in South America
4. What was the only land Hornblower had had a glimpse of during the seven-month voyage?
(a) Cape Fear
(c) Cape Horn
(d) the Falkand islands
5. Who is Brown?
(c) botswain's mate
(d) master's mate
6. What were the huts that Hornblower saw on his way to the palace made of?
(d) local volcanic stone
7. Why does Hornblower have the Spanish officers from Natividad shackled below on Lydia?
(a) to teach them the superiority of the English
(b) to keep them from fighting back
(c) to hold them 'til their flogging
(d) to save them from being executed by El Supremo
8. What request did Hornblower make of El Supremo?
(a) to sail with him to Panama
(b) to untie the "unenlightened" men he had staked in the sun
(c) to come to dinner aboard the Lydia
(d) to re-stock Lydia with food, water and other necessities
9. Who is Gerard?
(a) 2nd lieutenant
(b) warrant officer
(c) the ship's surgeon
10. How would you describe the physical appearance of El Supremo?
(a) a swarthy, tanned wild-looking man
(b) a thin, intellectual-looking man who was balding
(c) a large man with greying hair
(d) a small, unimpressive man with lank black hair
11. The novel takes place during what war?
(a) the War of 1812
(b) the Seven Years' War
(c) Napoleonic War between France and England
(d) the French Revolution
12. How did the British Admiralty want to use the Spanish possessions?
(a) for British commerce and trade
(b) to establish British settlements
(c) to use them to send British convicts there for imprisonment
(d) to moor their ships in the harbors
13. What does Captain Hornblower do at the same time every morning?
(a) He takes to the quarter deck and paces for an hour.
(b) He climbs the foremast.
(c) He commands Lydia to beat to quarters.
(d) He drills his crew.
14. How fast does Lydia travel in light airs?
(a) 2 knots
(b) 6 knots
(c) 4 knots
(d) 3 knots
15. Where exactly in South America was Hornblower expected to open trade for England?
(a) in Peru
(b) in the whole west coast of South America
(c) across the Isthmus of Darien
(d) in Ecuador
Short Answer Questions
1. What card game did Hornblower like to play?
2. How many guns does Natividad have on board?
3. A how-many-gun salute does El Supremo demand he have on boarding Lydia?
4. Until Lydia had made harbor what was the favorite dish in the midshipman's berth?
5. How does El Supremo view his subjects?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)