|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Happy Return.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerard lend Lady Barbara?
(a) his duffle coat
(b) a book of poetry
(c) a Irish fisherman's sweater
(d) a warm blanket
2. What does Hornblower order the surgeon to give to the wounded men?
(a) tea and scones
(b) whiskey and bread
(d) laudanum and rum
3. What does Captain Hornblower do at the same time every morning?
(a) He climbs the foremast.
(b) He commands Lydia to beat to quarters.
(c) He takes to the quarter deck and paces for an hour.
(d) He drills his crew.
4. How long ago had Hornblower filled his storerooms and water barrels?
(a) a month ago
(b) a fortnight ago
(c) six weeks ago
(d) seven weeks ago
5. What would the crew enjoy again when they reached St. Helena?
(a) ability to attend church
(b) comfortable beds on land
(c) walks through nature
(d) fresh meat, vegetables, milk and fruit
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hornblower deplore about his body?
2. What are manned continuously after Lydia is damaged in battle with Natividad?
3. What did Hornblower do upon sighting land?
4. With whom does Bush compare Hornblower?
5. What was the name of the three-decker ship at St. Helena?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)