|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Happy Return.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gerard lend Lady Barbara?
(a) his duffle coat
(b) a warm blanket
(c) a book of poetry
(d) a Irish fisherman's sweater
2. What is the cockpit?
(a) the area where the pumps are located
(b) the area where the coxswain resides
(c) the surgeon's area
(d) the cook's area
3. How many dead British seamen are collected and interred to the sea?
4. Hornblower was ordered to form an alliance with whom in rebellion against Spain?
(a) Don Julian Alvarado
(b) the Spaniards
(c) Vice Admiral Don Cristobal de Crespo
(d) Ship Captain Andrade
5. Although Hornblower is reluctant to take Lady Barbara aboard Lydia, and instantly dislikes her, why does he agree to let her seek passage home aboard his ship?
(a) He thinks the ship needs a woman's touch
(b) He fears insulting a British aristocrat would end his career
(c) He has pity on her because of the plague in Panama
(d) He is attracted to her physically though he dislikes her
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes aboard Lydia in a small craft to speak with Hornblower?
2. What features of the landscape do they always see when sailing along the coast?
3. Who replaced Hankey, the surgeon who died before the novel opened?
4. What does Hornblower do when the Natividad is first sighted?
5. How fast does Lydia travel in light airs?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)