|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Happy Return.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hornblower see on his way to the palace?
(a) a native wedding procession
(b) dead and near-dead men shackled in the sun
(c) strange exotic foliage
(d) a herd of wild boar
2. After sailing the coast, Lydia encounters rough weather and __________________.
what does she do?
(a) battens down the hatches
(b) continues on her journey
(c) shortens sail
(d) throws anchor and the men go ashore
3. How many British casualties are there during the capturing of Natividad?
(c) not one
4. What does Captain Hornblower do at the same time every morning?
(a) He climbs the foremast.
(b) He drills his crew.
(c) He commands Lydia to beat to quarters.
(d) He takes to the quarter deck and paces for an hour.
5. Who was the first member of the crew to be publicly flogged?
(a) Owen, a half-wit
(b) a red-headed Irishman who played the fiddle
(c) Lieutenant Samuel Simmonds
(d) Hornblower's steward, Polwheal
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gerard lend Lady Barbara?
2. Which of the crew likes to rap the seamen with his rattan cane?
3. Bush looked forward to what promotion because of his admirable actions on board Lydia?
4. What comment did Lady Barbara make about Hornblower's hands?
5. What did the port officer come up the side of the ship to receive?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)