|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Happy Return.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What adjective does Bush use to describe Hornblower?
2. What caused the Lydia to gain speed?
(a) the crew's eagerness to reach England
(b) the fair weather
(c) the westerly trade winds
(d) the high seas
3. How did Sir Saumarez react upon hearing of Lydia's sinking of Natividad?
(a) there was a glimmer of hope in his eyes
(b) a sigh of boredom escaped him
(c) there was a hint of envy in his manner
(d) there was a gleam of approval in his eyes
4. What does Captain Hornblower do on the same day Lady Barbara invited him to breakfast?
(a) He goes to bed early , exhausted by his encounter with Lady Barbara
(b) He takes a small boat to shore to investigate the terrain
(c) He writes a long thank-you letter to Lady Barbara
(d) He invites Lady Barbara and some officers to dinner and cards
5. Describe Lady Manningtree.
(a) She's of medium build and pretty
(b) She's tall and aristocratic
(c) She's an elegant, slender older woman
(d) She's short and fat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the British Admiralty want to use the Spanish possessions?
2. What did the four raised fingers of the coxswain indicate?
3. How do El Supremos' officers quell the crew after they take over Natividad?
4. Hornblower was ordered to form an alliance with whom in rebellion against Spain?
5. What did Hornblower compare the cockpit to?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)