|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Prosperous Voyage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Polwheal?
(a) 1st lieutenant
(b) a red-haired half-wit
(c) Hornblower's steward
(d) the ship surgeon
2. What does Hornblower do when the Natividad is first sighted?
(a) fires the cannonades at Natividad
(b) hoists the sails
(c) calls a beat to quarters
(d) unconcernedly asks some officers to dinner and plays cards
3. The novel takes place during what war?
(a) the War of 1812
(b) the Seven Years' War
(c) the French Revolution
(d) Napoleonic War between France and England
4. How would you describe the physical appearance of El Supremo?
(a) a large man with greying hair
(b) a swarthy, tanned wild-looking man
(c) a thin, intellectual-looking man who was balding
(d) a small, unimpressive man with lank black hair
5. What request did Hornblower make of El Supremo?
(a) to re-stock Lydia with food, water and other necessities
(b) to untie the "unenlightened" men he had staked in the sun
(c) to come to dinner aboard the Lydia
(d) to sail with him to Panama
Short Answer Questions
1. What had long been a dream of the British government?
2. Hornblower had been how many years at sea?
3. How many decks did the Spanish ship Natividad have?
4. What did Hornblower do upon sighting land?
5. Who replaced Hankey, the surgeon who died before the novel opened?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)